The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 16, 2000, 10:50 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Just wondering what your opinions are on the Henrys and caliber choice. I am considering getting into the CAS game and was contemplating a purchase of one of the Uberti Henrys. I was also wondering if anyone has messed around with converting the 45 Colt Henrys to the 45 Schofield, or is a conversion necessary? Thanks for your help.

------------------
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."-Second Amendment to the Constitution
Old February 17, 2000, 12:46 AM   #2
Joe West

I've had a Uberti Henry in 44-40 for several years. The rim of the 44-40 case is larger than the .45 Colt and it's my belief it gives more reliable extraction, especially with BP. The tapered, necked case also facilitates feeding the rounds into the chamber. But modern .45 Colt cases are superior to the originals and so the difference in performance is probably very minor.
I don't know why you'd want to use the shorter Schofield round in a Henry, but it should be no problem with some judicious experimenting and may even work as is. But some Schofield rounds are true round nose, DON'T use them in a tubular magazine rifle. Use flat point ammo only.
Joe West

------------------
Old February 17, 2000, 01:02 AM   #3
Alex Johnson

Thanks for your response. I guess my interest in using the .45 Schofield round in the henry stems from a desire to get one of Cimarron's 1872 open top revolvers in the .45 Schofield. This way I could use the same cartridges for both the rifle and pistol. I guess it would be more convenient to have the pistol's chamber modified for the .45 Colt, I only plan on using BP anyway.

------------------
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."-Second Amendment to the Constitution
Old February 17, 2000, 04:11 AM   #4
Hal

Alex,
No need to do that. The Cimarron Schofield comes in .45 Colt from the factory. www.cimarron-firearms.com/schofield.htm
Old February 17, 2000, 03:49 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

If your loading 45 Schofield in lever gun will it hold more rounds? Just wondering.
Old February 17, 2000, 05:33 PM   #6
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Alex,

I'm not sure of the dimensions of a Cimmaron Open Top,but the cylinder on a .45 Schofield may not be long enough to accomodate .45 Colt loads even if the chambers are modified.

Ned,

Depending on the rifle,using Schofields will indeed allow you to put more cartridges in the magazine tube of a .45 Colt rifle.

Bellicose Bill