The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 14, 2013, 04:57 AM   #1
jwrowland77

This Past Weekend Comp

Well, I was wondering why my battery on my phone was dying out so fast. Come to find out, my daughter took a couple of videos of me and a few pictures. So I figured I'd share.

The competition was in Tulsa. It was a pretty windy day. As soon as I can figure out how to upload the videos I will.

Old October 14, 2013, 05:50 AM   #2
jwrowland77

This Past Weekend Comp

Here's a link to the video I just uploaded to YouTube.

http://youtu.be/MtIiahFiDUo
Old October 14, 2013, 05:54 AM   #3
jwrowland77

This Past Weekend Comp

Here's another short video.

http://youtu.be/qoM5FEbtYZw
Old October 14, 2013, 07:29 AM   #4
precision_shooter

Looks fun! I wouldn't mind getting into something like that but don't have anywhere close to practice at any distance beyond 100 yds. Having a coach would be nice as well...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 14, 2013, 07:31 AM   #5
jwrowland77

This Past Weekend Comp

YeAh, the longest range near me is only 200yd. I wished I had one to practice 600.
Old October 14, 2013, 04:04 PM   #6
precision_shooter

Did you have any experience shooting beyond 200 yards and wind doping and such before joint the FTR matches?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 14, 2013, 04:11 PM   #7
jwrowland77

This Past Weekend Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter View Post
Did you have any experience shooting beyond 200 yards and wind doping and such before joint the FTR matches?
Nope. I just showed up and started shooting.

I knew an approximate of what my drop was and just went from there. I also started keeping a journal of what my dial in is at each location and what the weather conditions were on those days. That way if I have a like day in the future, I'll have a spot to start when I shoot my sighters for that day.

With each competition I go to, I gain experience and I'm getting more confident, whereas now, I think a better scope will help me push through a bit better and put me in the hunt to compete against the top shooters I've been against. From the first match to this third match, I've increased my score by about 80 points. I figure two or three more matches and I'll be in the thick of the pack. That's where I'm hoping a bit better scope will help me out. I plan on doing a few other things in my reloading as well to help tighten it up a bit too, along with just practicing shooting at small targets at the 200yd mark.

Last edited by jwrowland77; October 14, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old October 14, 2013, 04:21 PM   #8
precision_shooter

What are the qualifications to shoot at FTR matches?
Certain rifle weight, rests, barrel length, trigger pull weight etc?
Is there a standard rule book that I can view online?
Old October 14, 2013, 04:27 PM   #9
jwrowland77

This Past Weekend Comp

http://competitions.nra.org/document...R/hpr-book.pdf

I read the above link several times. I also added a bit to my post, I guess while you were sending yours as well. The above link is pretty good.
Old October 14, 2013, 08:00 PM   #10
precision_shooter

Thanks for the info JW!

Am I reading correctly that the trigger can't be less than 4.5lbs?
Old October 14, 2013, 08:44 PM   #11
jwrowland77

This Past Weekend Comp

No problem. I was asking the same questions just a few months ago.

For Service Rifles, that's what it looks like yes. There's this guy that shoots a .284 in F Open, and he barely has to touch his trigger and it goes off. My trigger was modified from a staggering 6.5-7lb pull down to about 3lb, and it made a pretty good difference for me.

You should just show up and shoot in one. I know for me, the easiest and best way to learn, is to just do it, so that's what I did.

Last edited by jwrowland77; October 15, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old October 15, 2013, 07:52 AM   #12
precision_shooter

I just didn't read down far enough...

Looks like I would have to take the brake off my rifle to meet the requirements. My trigger is around 1.5-2lbs, that's just a guess as I haven't measured with a pull gauge.

I will have to check into if there are any matches around here. Still need to do some more fine tuning of my hand loads too.

I appreciate the info and patience with my questions!
Old October 15, 2013, 09:22 AM   #13
jwrowland77

This Past Weekend Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter View Post
I just didn't read down far enough...

Looks like I would have to take the brake off my rifle to meet the requirements. My trigger is around 1.5-2lbs, that's just a guess as I haven't measured with a pull gauge.

I will have to check into if there are any matches around here. Still need to do some more fine tuning of my hand loads too.

I appreciate the info and patience with my questions!
Yeah, you definitely have to get rid of the brake for sure.

Yeah, I still have to fine tune some loads but I'm waiting until after next months match. I have a good charge I like, just need to play with the seating depth.

No problem, like I said, I was asking a lot of the same questions a couple of months ago.
Old October 19, 2013, 10:59 PM   #14
Viper225

I am not sure if we are much if any closer to you than Tulsa. We shot our October 600 F Class Match today.

We will not have any additional 600 Yard F Class Matches till next year.

The Proposed 2014 Schedule shows 600 F Class Matches on:

18 January 2014
22 February 2014
26 April 2014
21 June 2014
23 August 2014
18 October 2014

Matches start at 9 AM
We have 14" X 14" Steel Sighter Plates beside your Target Frame.
We can shoot 20 shooters in a Relay.

We have 4 Divisions:
F-TR & F-Open
F-TR Bench & F-Open Bench (Club Division)

F-TR and F-Open shoots from between the Benches. F-TR Bench and F-Open Bench shoot from the Concrete Bench Rest Benches. We have a 15' X 117' covered Bench Rest Line with 20 Concrete Benches.

The St Louis Benchrest Club shoots the same 4 Divisions.
I believe the Entry Fee is $20
We have Lunch on site for $5
Today we had Homemade Potato Soup, Grilled Cheese, Brownies, Apple Cinnamon Dump Cake, and Corn Bread.

After Lunch we have the 50 Yard USBR Rimfire Bench Rest Match.
Entry Fee $10 First Gun, Second Gun $5

Big Piney Sportsman's Club
18012 Highway B (Halfway Between Houston & Raymondville)
Houston Missouri 65483
http://www.bigpineysportsmansclub.com/

Bob

ICORE MO2908
Old October 21, 2013, 10:52 AM   #15
jwrowland77

This Past Weekend Comp

Cool, I may have to check y'all out in 2014, just to change up the scenery a bit and to get more experience on different ranges, where the wind blows different. I figure the more experience I can get, in different locations/situations, the better it'll make me at making adjustments and the better I'll become.
Old November 21, 2013, 02:02 PM   #16
coalroller

This Past Weekend Comp

What caliber are you shooting?