The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2016, 11:18 AM   #26
Xfire68

Not all primers get knocked out with the same force. Just as Economist pointed out with military crimped primers. If you don't crank it down you are resetting the pin all the time. The pins are super cheap and easy to change. The hardened pins I posted are much much better than stock.
Old January 24, 2016, 11:44 AM   #27
brasscollector

Quote:
If you don't crank it down you are resetting the pin all the time.
That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not going to spend even one evening finding the perfect torque setting for my decapping pin collet, I've got much better things to concern myself with. For all I know the collet isn't 100% true. I can surely justify spending a few bucks on pins once a year, if that, and carry on with life.
Old January 24, 2016, 09:15 PM   #28
8Ball67

Gadawg - it was not a problem with the decapping rod slipping out of the collet, it was a problem with the pin coming out of the decapping rod.

They may have changed since then, the only Lee die I own is for 7.62X25, and I have had it more than 15 years.

It been so long since I broke a decapper that I don't remember when that was.
Do keep a good supply of spares on hand just in case, but never seem to use them.
Old January 25, 2016, 12:17 PM   #29
Xfire68

8Ball67 the Lee Universal decapper pin is one piece.
Old January 25, 2016, 12:27 PM   #30
Gadawg88

Quote:
the Lee Universal decapper pin is one piece.
That's what I thought too. But, it is not. After 8ball67's post I went and looked at my spare pin hanging on the peg board under high magnification. It was clearly two pieces. The pin is inserted into the bottom of the rod. I assume it is just a very tight press fit, but not sure. Still, I have never had one, bend, break or slip out, but obviously it can and does happen.
Old January 25, 2016, 12:38 PM   #31
m&p45acp10+1

Take a picture of the broken part. Go to the Lee website and email them the picture, and tell what happened, and what part it is. They will mail you the replacement for free. If you set it up with them you can pay for a couple of extras to ship with the waranty part.
Old January 25, 2016, 01:02 PM   #32
Xfire68

Gadawg88, yeah I looked closer at a stock pin and can see where it could be pressed in. I have never had one fall out but I have bent and broke a number of them. I am running a autodrive 1050 at 1,800 per hour though. Sometimes I miss some dented necks and some flash holes are out of whack.
Old January 25, 2016, 08:37 PM   #33
Average Joe

Don't make them so tight, I have mine adjusted so it will slide up instead of breaking, haven't broken one yet.
Old January 28, 2016, 11:40 PM   #34
k2man

Thanks Xfire68, I went ahead and ordered some hardened pins from your eBay link. $10 for 3, that ought to be a lifetime supply - or until we switch from gunpowder and lead to laser beams.
Old January 29, 2016, 11:51 PM   #35
briandg

They can be bought on Amazon, a three pack for about ten with free shipping.
Old January 30, 2016, 09:26 AM   #36
rodfac

Interesting, in 53 years of handloading using Lyman, Lachmeyer, RCBS, Redding and Lee dies, including Lyman's venerable 310 Tong Tool, I'd estimate I've broken less than a half dozen pins, probably half of them that skinny one for the Tong Tool, and that includes thousands of military .308, .30-06, and .223.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.