The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 23, 2022, 04:22 PM   #1
Prof Young

Teaching Girlfriend to shoot!

Shooters:

Entering new territory here. I've taught a few people to shoot handguns but this time it's a girlfriend. I'm guessing it's not all that different. Learn all the safety ideals and protocols. Then start with small caliber single action and go from there.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 23, 2022, 05:02 PM   #2
MC 1911

It's been my experience that women tend to be very good students. That said,a wife / girlfriend taught by a husband / boyfriend may not be. Some will not listen or ignore you thinking you are criticizing them while trying to correct them.

Take your time & make sure she understands that if/when you do correct her it's not personal. Good luck!
Old November 23, 2022, 05:14 PM   #3
mehavey

Quote:
It's been my experience that women tend to be very good students.
+1 (actually do much better than the males)
Quote:
Wife/girlfriend taught by a husband/boyfriend may not be.
Mainly because the males in those cases immediately drag out their 40S&W and say:
. . . . . . . . "...see how easy it is?
. . . . . . . . . . .Now you do it...."

Old November 23, 2022, 06:23 PM   #4
50 shooter

Start her out on a .22 pistol or rifle, people do better when they're not afraid of heavy recoil. That and most .22's are accurate, which makes them do better knowing and seeing how well they're doing.

Don't try to MANsplain things to her, take the time and make sure she understands the how's and why's.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 23, 2022, 06:30 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Let HER set the pace. Do not give her too much, too soon. Stop where SHE wants to stop, and if possible, don't ever be patronizing.

Good luck, and do remember that it might be best for someone else to actually do the instruction, while you are there for help and support.
Old November 23, 2022, 07:29 PM   #6
Pahoo

Great replies !!!

Quote:
It's been my experience that women tend to be very good students.
Seeing some really great replies, on this thread and have to agree. My reply is from actual experience as I have taught the "The Outdoor Womens" programs. After going through some basic information, I then said; "Who wants to shoot first?" Wow, the hands went up before I had finished asking. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 23, 2022, 08:37 PM   #7
MarkCO

If you teach her like you don't want to impress her, like any other student, you will be fine.

I taught my wife to shoot, she even took my CCW course. She did great in the class. I've only ever run across a few women that were hard to teach. They were either 1. Totally scared of guns or 2. Had such a hatred of men that it was going to be hard for any man. For both types, I was able to talk through that baggage, gain trust and move them to a place of confidence and get them contemporary with the rest of the class.
Old November 23, 2022, 10:29 PM   #8
rc

A nice 22 target pistol or conversion kit for your favorite centerfire will do the trick. Start with larger targets and help challenge her with smaller and smaller things to hit.
Old November 23, 2022, 11:32 PM   #9
kenny53

I have taught a few women to shoot and did very well. When I tried to teach my daughter, it was a different story. Good luck.
Old November 24, 2022, 08:58 AM   #10
eflyguy

Started my daughter out while in middle school with an AK and a 1911.

We have competed in USPSA and 100yd iron-sight matches for years. She can out-shoot me any day.
Old November 24, 2022, 09:48 AM   #11
buck460XVR

I have taught many young and older ladies to shoot. There's no difference than teaching a man to shoot. Tolerance to recoil is very subjective and not just dependent on gender. No one, male or female should be taught how to shoot having to deal with heavy recoil. Flinching is the hardest bad habit to break regardless of gender. Next, have patience and not assume your student knows anything. Do not rush, take your time. Do not challenge them with long range shots at small targets until they have gotten down the accuracy at close range. Success breeds success, so if they have hard time hitting the target after moving out to 50 yards, go back to 25 for a while.

The problem with teaching wives/girlfriends shooting is that we do not always treat them with the same respect and patience as strangers. No different than teaching your kids to drive. Husbands/boyfriends sometime tend to display an amount of arrogance/superiority over the SO's and that tends to turn off the student. Women are better learners when it comes to guns, because most of the time they do not come into the experience with a chip on their shoulders or the fear of showing their lack of knowledge/experience like men.
Old November 24, 2022, 11:51 AM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

First couple of hours should be lecture on safety. After lecture, hands on with dummy (I have foam guns I got free at SHOT).

Part of this is to ensure that there is good communication and understanding between student and instructor.

Then lecture on ammunition (rimfire, centerfire & components). Safety (make sure ammo fits the bore by looking at markings on fyrearm and cartridge and flap on ammo box). Then on firearams themselves. How to use including sight alignment.

Hands on demonstration on how to operate empty firearms.

By the time the class is over, the student should know how to load, unload, operate (open action/retract slide, engage or disengage safety (if any), etc and be comfortable and confident (and hopefully enthusiastic) before going to the range.
Old November 24, 2022, 08:52 PM   #13
langenc

May be easy to teach women.. BUT w/ girl friend let a professional do it.
Old November 24, 2022, 09:01 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Recommend the NRA HUNTER SAFETY course. Go with her....
Old November 25, 2022, 10:24 AM   #15
shafter

A good instructor should be able to teach either a man or woman without difficulty. We aren't teaching the mystical arts here. Be confident but humble, and clearly explain what needs to be done (adapt for individual learning styles) and let them burn some rounds. Correct glaring errors but don't try to correct every little thing all at once.
Old November 26, 2022, 10:50 PM   #16
SamNavy

There's nothing worse for a first time shooter than a packed indoor range, claustrophobic booth, with uncomfortable eyes and ears, can't hear anything, etc... while you're trying to show her how the safety works.

Start at home at the kitchen table with the basics using snap-caps. Just clicking through the trigger a half-dozen times in a comfortable environment will pay off huge when she finally steps up to the firing line at the actual range.

Take her to an outdoor range when it's empty. Use CCI Quiets and a bolt-gun at first and skip the hearing protection while you walk through all the stuff you practiced at home... hand position, sight alignment, trigger control, breathing, etc... but don't get so damned technical that she overthinks stuff. For pistols, "smaller and lighter is better" is crap. Take a gun that fits her hand, don't think a Beretta Tomcat is the way to go unless she's 4'6"... a Ruger MK series anything is perfect for teaching just about anybody to shoot... CCI SV is mild and not too loud. Invest in noise-cancelling earmuffs so you can talk normally while instructing when you step up to regular ammo.
Old November 27, 2022, 02:39 PM   #17
Rob228

I've been shooting my whole life, sometimes competitively and until recently a LOT for work. I spent four years as a tactical instructor and have been through several train the trainer courses. I have taught a lot of people to shoot too.

THAT BEING SAID
I cannot teach my wife. Maybe its our relationship, maybe its me, maybe its her but I cannot do it. My perpetual sense is that she is ignoring everything I say, her sense is that her way is "better" etc. And she loves to shoot and always wants to come. I was eternally grateful when some of the older gentlemen at the trap range saw my dilemma and stepped in. I will gladly pay for private pistol instruction for her at some point.

Some people/relationships cannot handle a student and teacher dynamic. Mine cannot. Keep it it mind if you feel yourself starting to get frustrated.
Old November 27, 2022, 03:06 PM   #18
Pahoo

Oh, there is a difference !!!

Quote:
I have taught many young and older ladies to shoot. There's no difference than teaching a man to shoot.
Your agenda and presentation is the same, regardless and the women I have taught, do not want any compromise. What is different is, the degree of receptivity or involvment. I find the women to be more attentive, unafraid and their egos don't get in their way. ......

Quote:
Quote:
I cannot teach my wife. Maybe its our relationship, maybe its me, maybe its her but I cannot do it.
Quote:
BUT w/ girl friend let a professional do it.
Excellent points and I have one daughter that I would not like to see in one of my classes. The other two, were great but this one, in what we call, in the Midwset, as a "Bullhead". Still love her !!!

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 27, 2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old December 10, 2022, 09:19 PM   #19
Aqualife

Taught the wife, who never saw a gun before, to rifle shoot. Used a .22 hornet outdoors on family property. My father (They adore each other) and brother were there. We all shot different guns and was a really fun family day. Everything went well and she had fun.

A year or so later I took her to local range to learn how to shoot handguns. Sensed it was a little tense being on shooting range, strangers around. All kinds of guns popping in close quarters. Not same atmosphere at all. Started with Browning BDA .380. She took one shot, put handgun down and walked out. Couldn’t get her to try again. I think the slide action on the 380 scared her. Guy next to us sensed what happened and offered his .22 lr revolver to shoot. I thought this was great. She thought this was extremely weird, only a weirdo would do that.

If I could do over I would go to outdoor range with some friends. I’d rent .22 revolver. I’d try and make it a fun day.

I love shooting, Indoors, outdoors, Guns, archery. When we’re in our element we don’t realize how alien it can be to others.

Last edited by Aqualife; December 10, 2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old December 29, 2022, 05:40 PM   #20
Yellowfin

Dry practice at home with dummy rounds extensively first. You can get all the safe handling and controls all down before going to the range. Fundamentals are everything and can be better achieved without the distraction of targets, noise, and other people.
Old December 29, 2022, 06:31 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

Do not plan on shooting, other than just perhaps to demonstrate technique. Trying to teach someone while you are shooting at the range just doesn't work. You're there to teach, not to shoot.

As mentioned several times above, basic gun handling and safety rules need to be covered thoroughly before you get to the range. That's not the place to start telling someone about muzzle control, trigger finger discipline, etc.

Pick a gun or guns that the new shooter can operate and is comfortable with. This is HUGE. There is nothing that wrecks a session with a new shooter like a gun that won't work or that is a bad fit for the student. Don't take a brand new gun, it needs to be one that you are very familiar with and that you know is reliable. Take ammo you know is reliable in the gun. Don't take a gun that the shooter is afraid of nor one that has a lot of recoil. You can turn a new shooter into someone who hates guns very easily with a bad first experience. My wife still refuses to shoot centerfire revolvers because one of her first experiences with handguns (before we were married) was with a small revolver in a defensive caliber based on the recommendation of some gun store guru. The recoil hurt her and the DA trigger pull was too stiff for her fingers and so revolvers were crossed off the list for her--forever.

Start out with one round in the gun. You can graduate to two rounds after you see that they are exercising discipline that continues after the shot. You don't need unintentional double shots or muzzle control issues with a loaded gun.

Stay very close to the strong side shoulder but slightly to the rear. It's very common for new shooters to swing around after a shot to talk to whoever is with them. You want to be close so you can stop the swing very quickly to prevent muzzle sweeps.

The student needs electronic hearing protection so they can hear instruction.

Pay attention to the student and don't let them get tired or frustrated.

Focus on the basics and solid facts--this is not the time to be testing/promoting pet theories or soapboxing personal opinions.
Old December 29, 2022, 07:37 PM   #22
603Country

I’ve taught a few ladies to shoot - coworkers, kids and grandkids. And lately, the grandson’s girlfriend. She had never fired anything, but said she wanted to. Started with a short education on how to align the sights, then gun safety, then the 22 revolver. She did well. Then on to the 686 and 38 Specials. She did well, very well. Then some warm 357 loads. Very quickly it became apparent that she was a good shot. Maybe a natural.

But when I brought out the S&W 380 EZ, she didn’t do so well. Like my wife, I guess she’s a revolver girl.

And she did quite well with the AR in 223.

All was done with safety glasses and max hearing protection.

This was the 3rd GF of his that I’ve taught to shoot. I think he’ll marry this one. I hope so.