The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 15, 2022, 12:30 AM   #1
Tinker Pearce

Purpose-built 1911 Concealed Carry gun.

I put this together last year after testing my current guns. The criteria was the ability to put accurate shots on target as rapidly as possible. The frame is Systema Colt, slide and barrel are RIA 9mm. It uses an EGW flat-coil recoil system with a one-piece guide-rod. Novak rear sight and custom front sight. Flat mainspring housing blended to the frame then checkered 20 LPI. The front of the grip-frame and under the trigger-guard were also cut with 20 LPI checkering. I undercut the base of the trigger guard as well, and made hand-checkered grips for the gun. Magazines are Mec Gar 9rd. magazines.

The short slide isn't for concealability; it has a very fast lock-time and comes back on target super-quick. The full-length grip works for me for concealment as I am a rather large person. Yes, it's low capacity compared to more modern options. It's fairly heavy compared to them too, but this helps to mitigate recoil. Low capacity is a problem that is offset to some degree by how well I can shoot the gun.

So having built the perfect-for-me carry gun a friend offered me her tricked-out CZ P-01 Omega and now I carry that most of the time instead. Go figure.
Old December 15, 2022, 09:00 AM   #2
RickB

That's a really big, heavy, compact 9mm.
I carried a Detonics Combat Master .45 for many years, about the same size as your gun, but have since replaced it with a SIG P938, which is half the size and weight of the Detonics, but still holds one more round (9mm).
I liked the size and weight of the Detonics for shooting .45, the light slide making for snappy recoil but little muzzle flip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unclenephew.jpg (193.7 KB, 32 views)
Old December 15, 2022, 09:20 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Nice.

I built a very similar 9mm 1911, but using an Officers ACP compact frame, using a Para-Ordnance frame, slide and Barrel that I purchased from Sarco after they bought up a lot of Para parts from Remington. I don't fell under-armed when carrying it.
Jeepaholic
Old December 16, 2022, 03:41 PM   #4
Tinker Pearce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
That's a really big, heavy, compact 9mm.
I carried a Detonics Combat Master .45 for many years, about the same size as your gun, but have since replaced it with a SIG P938, which is half the size and weight of the Detonics, but still holds one more round (9mm).
I liked the size and weight of the Detonics for shooting .45, the light slide making for snappy recoil but little muzzle flip.
I just can't shoot a 938 as quickly and accurately as the 1911-based gun, and as I said I am a big guy, so concealing the 1911 and the weight are not an issue. A proper gun-belt, a good holster and I really don't notice the weight.
Old December 16, 2022, 04:24 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Para-Ordnance frame, slide and Barrel that I purchased from Sarco after they bought up a lot of Para parts from Remington
IIRC--Remmie deep-sixed para ordinace after buying them out?
Old December 16, 2022, 07:00 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
IIRC--Remmie deep-sixed para ordinace after buying them out?
Correct. Remington kept the name alive for a couple or three years, showing off "new" Para/Remington double stack models at the SHOT Show every year which somehow never made it into production, then they just killed off the brand and sold all remaining stock of parts to Sarco and Numrich.
Jeepaholic