The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 28, 2019, 08:14 PM   #1
JERRYS.

best cheap red dot sight for ar15?

whats your pick for the best cheap (less expensive) red dot for the ar15?

I have a strikefire vortex that was $178.00 new about 2 years ago, and I like its red/green options along with the standard options. can anyone beat that price/option/quality? lets hear it. what brand? what options/functions? what price?

Last edited by JERRYS.; December 28, 2019 at 08:56 PM. Reason: stikefire
Old December 28, 2019, 08:38 PM   #2
ms6852

I have the Vortex 3X prism spitfire and man do I love it. I would stick with vortex since you know already. Optics planet has some on sale under your price point, check them out.https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...dot-4-moa.html
Old December 28, 2019, 08:57 PM   #3
JERRYS.

that's what I have. sorry about the mix up on the name. good to see the price hasn't changed in 2 years.
Old December 28, 2019, 11:15 PM   #4
O4L

I have a Spitfire 1X and when I find a great deal on one, I will be getting a Spitfire 3X.

Primary Arms also makes some good prism scopes.
Old December 29, 2019, 02:22 AM   #5
ms6852

I love the reticle on the Spitfire 3X prism. With the BDC reticle you are set up to 500 yards easily.
Old December 29, 2019, 02:50 AM   #6
JERRYS.

those are a lot more expensive than the vortex strikefire.
Old December 29, 2019, 04:40 AM   #7
scorpion_tyr

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HP...b_b_asin_title

Pros: Only $17, has green and red options, various display options as well as brightness, comes with battery and cover, perfect co-witness with MBUS, battery has lasted months so far. Has been just fine and maintained zero through hundreds of rounds on my .300 AAC pistol. Only one layer of glass so digging up shouldn’t be an issue.

Cons: will only last about 6 rounds on a .50 Beowulf pistol before it falls apart.
Old December 29, 2019, 05:55 AM   #8
armoredman

SIG Romeo5 works beautifully for me, $120 from PSA.
Old December 29, 2019, 06:51 AM   #9
stagpanther

I've tried many of the lesser/modertaely expensive ones, but my general go-to for "dotage" is primary arms. I've never been disappointed with something from them.
Old December 29, 2019, 12:50 PM   #10
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
those are a lot more expensive than the vortex strikefire.
There are two main reasons that I chose the Spitfire.

The first is that I have an astigmatism so regular red dots have become a smear instead of a clear dot to my eyes. The prism scope reticle is very clear well defined.

The second reason is that the reticle is etched into the glass so it is always there and the scope can still be used very easily without illumination.

The reticle appears black so I only use the red or green illumination when I'm shooting at a dark target. If for some reason the illumination didn't work, such as a dead battery, the scope can still be used.

I found a deal on a 3X version of the Spitfire online that I may not be able to pass up. The only reason that I am hesitating is that I am also checking out the Primary Arms magnified prism scopes.
Old December 29, 2019, 01:09 PM   #11
Nodak1858

I've bought a couple of the Sightmark brand red dots. Use them on my ARs and Aks. Decent price on them and they have worked well. I had one that the adjustment for sighting in came loose and wouldn't hold zero. They sent me a postage paid tag and ended up getting a new one back in the mail, no questions asked. If I do get any more in the future I'll be buying one from them.
Old December 29, 2019, 05:56 PM   #12
HJ857

Hard to beat the Vortex warranty, but I picked up one of the TruGlo sights to put on a range toy 9mm AR and I really like it a lot. Very bright dot, the brightest I've seen so far. Certainly worth a look.

When I first took it out of the packaging I immediately fat fingered it and dropped it from the bench onto a cement floor. Scratched the housing but it still worked has kept on going.

https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-Tru-Br...s%2C162&sr=8-4
Old December 29, 2019, 06:34 PM   #13
Americanpatriot

I'd probably keep an eye out for a used Aimpoint pro or something similar.
See some used Comp2's on eBay

Last edited by Americanpatriot; December 29, 2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old December 29, 2019, 08:45 PM   #14
DubC-Hicks

IMO, the Primary Arms Advanced Micros and the Sig Romeo5's are the best red dots under $300. After using a handful of them for quite some time, I've never had any issues
Old December 29, 2019, 11:24 PM   #15
vkeith

When they are on sale for $100-120, the SIG Romeo5 is hard to beat in that price range. The shake-awake is a nice feature and the controls are easy to use.
Old December 30, 2019, 09:11 AM   #16
Siggy-06

Sig Romeo5 amd the Ultradot 30mm.
Old December 30, 2019, 09:14 AM   #17
GE-Minigun

PSA has the Strikefire for $130 I think with coupon code...
Old January 1, 2020, 10:08 AM   #18
SEHunter

Primary Arms all the way for me. Just haven’t seen a better performance to cost ratio anywhere else.
Old January 1, 2020, 01:52 PM   #19
jetinteriorguy

I purchased my first upper from PSA about eight years ago and in the package it included a Vortex red dot, I forget which model. After about six years the dot looked more like an hourglass so I sent it in. They no longer supported that model so they replaced it with the Spark II which I feel is a much better model. I sent it in and had the replacement in my hands eight days later, pretty darn good service if you ask me. For me from now on all my scope purchases will be Vortex.
Old January 1, 2020, 05:05 PM   #20
SEHunter

I do love my PSA freedom ss upper and lower. Im a former brand snob that was converted by the cost and performance of the PSA products. Off topic but that was for free
Old January 2, 2020, 07:57 AM   #21
JERRYS.

I've seen the sig Romeo5 that has an automatic "On" when it is moved around, and turns off automatically when it is at rest. this sounds like a great feature and the unit is around $170.
Old January 2, 2020, 08:43 AM   #22
O4L

Quote:
I've seen the sig Romeo5 that has an automatic "On" when it is moved around, and turns off automatically when it is at rest. this sounds like a great feature and the unit is around $170.
I see them priced at $120 regularly online and even less now and then.

I like the idea of the 'shake to wake' feature if it works well.

I was very close to buying a Romeo 5 because of several recommendations from guys that have them until I realized I was having problems with seeing a regular red dot clearly.
Old January 2, 2020, 01:58 PM   #23
Fishbed77

The best value for the money is the Aimpoint PRO.

That doesn't mean it's the cheapest, though.
Old January 2, 2020, 03:52 PM   #24
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O4L View Post
I see them priced at $120 regularly online and even less now and then.

I like the idea of the 'shake to wake' feature if it works well.

I was very close to buying a Romeo 5 because of several recommendations from guys that have them until I realized I was having problems with seeing a regular red dot clearly.
wouldn't corrective lenses fix that? I mean you need to wear them anyway so why not while shooting?
Old January 2, 2020, 06:41 PM   #25
O4L

Quote:
wouldn't corrective lenses fix that? I mean you need to wear them anyway so why not while shooting?
Nope. It is because I have an astigmatism. It makes the dot look like a smear..