The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 5, 2019, 05:42 PM   #1
hootey

Most accurate rifle for $700

Been debating getting a new Vanguard 2 with wood stock in 223 Rem or a Remington SPS Tactical in 6.5 for target shooting 300yds or less. Thinking about Vortex viper for scope. The wife told she was tired of me "Hem-Hawing" around and to go get both of them. I'm just bored n looking for something to do. Getting the 223 because the rifles are great right out of the box and ammo is so dirt cheap right now, as well as very accurate. The SPS is about the same way and 6.5 Creedmoor ammo costs a little more but, it is everywhere, and very accurate.
You guys have any other suggestions in the same price range for proven performers?
Old December 5, 2019, 05:50 PM   #2
NHSHOOTER

Is this rifle and scope for 700? I would look into a Tikka which is about 700, I have 1 in 223 and it is a tack driver and I just picked up a nice wood stock Tikka t3 hunter in 243 and it too is a tack driver...I will have to add, I have 3 weatherby S2's and they are excellent shooters and very nicely built..
Old December 6, 2019, 05:25 AM   #3
hootey

This is just for the rifles, $700 or so for each rifle.
Old December 6, 2019, 06:30 AM   #4
std7mag

Myself, i would go to Dicks or Cabelas and get one of their Savage Model 11s.
24" heavy barrel for around $500.
I got a used Savage 110FP (predecesser to those rifles) for my wife in 223 Rem. Shoots 69gr MatchKings under 1" at 100 with boring regularity. (20 shots).

A Sightron STAC will do everything a Viper will do with less flare out, and a fine line reticle, for less cash.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 6, 2019, 07:02 AM   #5
jpx2rk

I'll throw the Cabelas/BPS FV12 in for consideration, can get the rifle and good scope for $700. I've got 3 of the FV12's, all are very accurate, even more so with handloads. They are on the ugly side with the tupperware stock, but still very accurate.
Old December 6, 2019, 07:24 AM   #6
std7mag

Jpx2rk is right. I got my model #s wrong.
Anyways, it's the FV at Cabelas, the VT at Dicks.
When on sale and factory rebate at same time, you can pick one up on the really cheap!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 6, 2019, 12:18 PM   #7
emcon5

Quote:
i would go to Dicks or Cabelas
I wouldn't piss on a Dicks if it was on fire. Screw those jackholes.
Old December 7, 2019, 11:00 AM   #8
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
I wouldn't piss on a Dicks if it was on fire. Screw those jackholes.
I disagree.

I would definitely pee on Dicks, whether it was on fire or not.
Old December 8, 2019, 01:25 AM   #9
Pathfinder45

I look at it differently: What is the best model 70 Winchester that $700 will buy? It doesn't matter if there are more accurate rifles, this one is plenty accurate and won't let me down. Better accuracy is wasted upon a shooter made of mortal flesh.
Old December 8, 2019, 07:43 AM   #10
jmr40

With a $700 budget buy a Tikka T-3. If the $700 includes a scope buy the Ruger American Predator. If you can swing $1000 then Tikka CTR. I've seen examples of all of the above in 223, 6.5 and 308 shoot groups at 200 yards that could be covered with a dime. Using the scopes below.

If you buy today, this scope. Sale ends today.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x....html?___SID=U

If you miss the sale and don't want to pay full price then this in either a fixed 6X or 10X. The 6X is plenty for 300 yards. I've used mine out to 600.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-ta....html?___SID=U

Quote:
I look at it differently: What is the best model 70 Winchester that $700 will buy?
My go-to hunting rifles are 70's. But he isn't asking about a hunting rifle. There are better options for what he wants to do. I have a 4X4 F150 and a Honda in the driveway. Like em both, but they are different tools for different jobs. Just like rifles.

Winston Churchill
Old December 8, 2019, 08:02 AM   #11
Nathan

Can you tell us a bit more?

From the OP, I see you want a bolt action to shoot targets at 300 yards or less. Can you tell us why 300 yds max?

Also, is there a secondary use?

Will there ever be a desire to upgrade in the future?

Does $700 have a reason?

Are there features you would prioritize like availability of aftermarket parts, availability of prefit barrels, short barrels, long barrels, low recoil, elk taking ability......
Old December 8, 2019, 09:10 PM   #12
hootey

$700 is the budget for each rifle
$500 for each scope
300 yards for the local range
223 rem is one choice cause the ammo is inexpensive and everywhere, & accurate.
Old December 8, 2019, 11:07 PM   #13
WyMark

I bought a RAR in .223 with a Sig scope for $710 total that is far more accurate at 300 yards than I will ever be. Love hearing the "dink" from a 55gr hitting the steel plate at 300. Harder to hear the 400 yard, but there's a spinner that's easy to see through the scope.
Old December 16, 2019, 05:12 PM   #14
hootey

Well, put in the order yesterday,
1 weatherby vanguard series 2 223 rem wood stock w/twist rate of 1/14
1 weatherby vanguard threat response 6.5 creedmoor w/twist rate of 1/8
supposed to be in by the end of the week. finally getting a 6.5 creedmoor. I hope for the best. Will let ya know how things go.......
Old December 16, 2019, 07:01 PM   #15
jonnyc

My $200 Soviet PU and $500 rounds of ammo for practice! ;-)
Old December 16, 2019, 09:17 PM   #16
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootey View Post
Been debating getting a new Vanguard 2 with wood stock in 223 Rem or a Remington SPS Tactical in 6.5 for target shooting 300yds or less. Thinking about Vortex viper for scope. The wife told she was tired of me "Hem-Hawing" around and to go get both of them. I'm just bored n looking for something to do. Getting the 223 because the rifles are great right out of the box and ammo is so dirt cheap right now, as well as very accurate. The SPS is about the same way and 6.5 Creedmoor ammo costs a little more but, it is everywhere, and very accurate.
You guys have any other suggestions in the same price range for proven performers?
The Ruger American predator is accurate, but ugly compared to your listed two rifles.
Old December 19, 2019, 04:26 PM   #17
chemcal

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-varmint

these are great and really shoot
Old December 19, 2019, 04:59 PM   #18
Wendyj

STD 7mag right on the Savage but he knows I’m going with Tikkas. Euro Optics has the market on them but I think the Black Friday sales are over. Ruger’s newer Go Wild shoots good and they have firmed up the stock but made getting to the trigger to adjust it a real pain in the rear.
Old December 20, 2019, 06:30 AM   #19
bill460

In an "accuracy per dollar" contest, it's pretty hard to beat any of the Savage bolt rifles. They are extremely accurate. Especially the heavy barreled models. I have 3 of them. A 110-FCP/K in .300 Win. Mag. A Model 10, and a Model 12-FT/R, both in .308. All 3 are some of the most accurate rifles I own.

And the Accutrigger is one of the best factory triggers on the market.
Old December 20, 2019, 02:54 PM   #20
Picher

Hate to talk against the Savages, or Remingtons, but I'd buy the Tikka Varmint. Ready to go shooting accurately, right out of the box and as accurate as you can discover. The Tikka standard .243 that I have shoots beautifully and I never had to bed or alter it in any way.
Old December 25, 2019, 10:44 PM   #21
SCgman

The sauer 100 xt is a very well made rifle that uses rem 700 long action bases. I hunt with a tikka t3 as well and the sauer trigger is a tad better. Both are top quality off the shelf factory guns.
Old December 26, 2019, 09:30 AM   #22
Henry400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
I'll throw the Cabelas/BPS FV12 in for consideration, can get the rifle and good scope for $700. I've got 3 of the FV12's, all are very accurate, even more so with handloads. They are on the ugly side with the tupperware stock, but still very accurate.
I second the FV12. Mine's in .22-250, topped with a Vortex Crossfire II.
Old December 28, 2019, 10:42 PM   #23
Nathan

Quote:
supposed to be in by the end of the week. finally getting a 6.5 creedmoor. I hope for the best. Will let ya know how things go.......
Sounds like you ordered what you wanted. Did you get them? Any results yet?

For the others here....what is going on with Tikka? Seems like this is the year of the accurate Tikka story. I knew they were ok, but every web forum has somebody thrilled with a new Tikka running up their post count!

My dad has a Tikka 270 WSM/Leupold Vari II that regularly shoots 1” 3 shot groups. That is fine, but my factory Savage 12 bvss 300 WSM likes to put up 5 shot 0.6” groups, so.....not really comparable rifles, I guess.

Last edited by Nathan; December 28, 2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old December 29, 2019, 04:06 AM   #24
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootey View Post
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby Magnum. For a sporter it's a pretty accurate rifle.

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread. But just so you know, Weatherby Vanguards are nothing more than rebranded Howa 1500's. Weatherby does not manufacture their own rifles, and haven't for years.

The Mark V Deluxe is currently made by ATEK Corporation in Brainerd, Minnesota. While the barrel and action for the Vanguard Series is still being manufactured in Japan by Howa.

There is nothing "wrong" with this. It's simply the way Weatherby has chosen to operate. I believe some of the older Weatherby rifles that came out of the Southgate, California plant were actually manufactured by Roy Weatherby. However, this was back when Weatherby was first starting out, and before they utilized the Mark V Action. Many of the older Southgate rifles were built on Mauser actions.

Weatherby used to offer the "MOA" version of the Vanguard. Basically all they did was test fire the new guns for accuracy, as they came in from Howa. Then they would segregate the most accurate one's, and charge a premium price for them. They would then embellish the floorplate of these rifles with "MOA" on the bottom, in order to distinguish them from the run of the mill Vanguards. I believe they also included a test target.

My older Weatherby Vanguard was purchased before the whole "MOA" deal was started. It came with a signed and dated test target as well. I don't know if the newer non "MOA" models do or not. When you get your rifles, let us know.

Weatherby's new Sheridan, Wyoming facility is little more than a office complex, along with a warehouse that contains a small assembly area. There is no manufacturing machinery in it.
Old December 29, 2019, 06:25 AM   #25
darkgael

The problem, as I see it, with the Weatherby, is its slow rifling twist (1-14, IIRC). This limits your bullet choices to 55 grains or lighter. There are a great many very accurate (longer and heavier) that will not reliably stabilize in that rifle.