The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2019, 10:46 PM   #1
wmg1299

Mossberg 590A1 Mariner or Remington 870 Marine Magnum

I've been interested in picking up a Marinecoat shotgun for awhile. My standard 590A1 is a tank and has been a rock solid performer. I actually prefer the action on my standard 870, but it is an older model. I've heard mixed reviews about the quality of modern Remington products. Is a modern 870 Marine Magnum worth the $100 premium over the 590A1 Mariner? Input from shooters with experience with modern Marine Magnums would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 12, 2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

I don't think so. I can't speak for the marine models but I have been disappointed by current production 870s. 590 is a superior firearm In my opinion.
Old November 13, 2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Late word is that after the sale of Remington, the new owners are re-establishing the quality of the 870.

Remington is now selling a POLICE version of the Magnum Marine.
Just what the difference is between the police and commercial Magnum Marine is, I don't know.

It comes down to what you think and on the features like the location of the safety.
The 870 is a forged steel gun and the Mossberg is a cast aluminum receiver gun.
The 870 will last a lot longer if you are an extremely high round count shooter.
Old November 28, 2019, 02:47 PM   #4
davidsog

Quote:
Just what the difference is between the police and commercial Magnum Marine is, I don't know.
There are some differences that come down to mostly a Metal trigger housing and better internals set up for combat not bird hunting.

https://www.rem870.com/2011/06/21/di...on-870-police/
Old November 29, 2019, 06:41 AM   #5
kozak6

Another option would be to send one of your current shotguns out for nickel or hard chrome plating.
Old December 11, 2019, 10:06 AM   #6
davidsog

Quote:
I'd rather have a Remington than a Mossberg but that is just my personal preference.

I would do the following:

1) Buy a plain jane 870, convert it to 18-20" barrel with extended mag.

or

2) Purchase one of the Remington Talo edition guns (look on gunbroker)

Send it off to Walter Birdsong to have coated in black or green T. Same finish FBI uses, as well as Navy I believe.

Probably save some money that could be put toward accessories or ammo.
Good suggestion.

I built a fantastic Remington 870, 7+1, Parkerized, night sights, walnut police stock, police internals, Nordic components mag follower, and S&J Hardware Jumbo Safety....

All for just under 300 bucks. It was built off a 1990's Magnum Special Purpose Deer model with a Improved Cylinder Rem Choke barrel I picked up at a gun show for 180 bucks.

If you can find one, that is an excellent platform to begin a build. The Improved Cylinder is fantastic for both buckshot and slugs. The 1990's had the metal trigger and the Special Purpose Deer was parkerized.

IMHO, you cannot beat finding an older 870 and building your own with all the components and aftermarket parts available.

Last edited by davidsog; December 11, 2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old December 11, 2019, 06:04 PM   #7
Forte S+W

Personally, I prefer the Mossberg 590 over the Remington 870 for the following reasons:
  • Ambidextrous tang-mounted safety switch.
  • Optics/accessory ready drilled and tapped receiver.
  • Extractor is secured by screws rather than rivets, allowing it to be replaced if need be.
  • Heavy walled barrel for added durability.
Old December 13, 2019, 12:22 PM   #8
bill460

I have both the Mossberg 590-A1, (standard finish), and the Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum. The Police Marine Magnum 870 is the better gun. I'm not saying or suggesting there is anything "wrong" with the 590-A1, there isn't.

But it doesn't compare. As was mentioned the 870 is all steel. The only thing Aluminum is the trigger assembly. (And that is only on the Police Marine Magnum). The regular Marine Magnum has a Polymer trigger assembly.

You can argue which is better, but I much prefer metal, as does the military. Which is why they specify it on the 590-A1. Along with a metal safety switch instead of plastic.

There seems to be some confusion about the Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum. The Order Number on the box MUST be 25047 for it to be a Police Marine Magnum. If the Order Number is 25012 it is a Standard Marine Magnum.

The Police Marine Magnums are built in a different area of the plant, and receive a better degree of fit and finish. They also have milled extractors. The Standard Marine Magnum has a MIM extractor. That is not "bad". I have heard of very few MIM extractors failing on 870's.

The other difference with the Police Marine Magnum is it comes with adjustable rifle sights. And a Butler Creek padded sling with the sling swivels sewn into the sling itself. It makes for a nice setup. They are more expensive than the Standard Marine Magnum. But they are the finest 870's on the market...... When you can find them.

There are usually a few available on Gun Broker and Guns America. But Remington only makes a few production runs a year of these. So you have to, "strike while the iron is hot", so to speak. They are among the finest pump guns obtainable. Just be SURE to check for the 25047 Order Number. Here is mine, along with my Mossberg 590-A1.

Last edited by bill460; December 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old December 13, 2019, 01:12 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Forte S+W
Personally, I prefer the Mossberg 590 over the Remington 870 for the following reasons:
Ambidextrous tang-mounted safety switch.
Optics/accessory ready drilled and tapped receiver.
Extractor is secured by screws rather than rivets, allowing it to be replaced if need be.
Heavy walled barrel for added durability.
Got both and I have come to prefer the Mossbergs due to some of the above, PLUS the ability to add an OpSol Mini Shell Adapter and get 13 rounds in it and cycle reliabily.
Old December 21, 2019, 11:46 AM   #10
davidsog

Quote:
870 is the better gun.
Which is why USASOC uses them still.