The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 10, 2013, 04:07 AM   #1
TahoeDust

Ignore button?

On some other forums I frequent you can add users to your ignore list so you do not have to see their ignorant or in this case generally abrasive posts.

I know..."Just don't read them." I don't always pay attention to the poster names when cruising down a thread.
Old October 10, 2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

You can do that here, too. Click on the abrasive member's name to go to his or her profile. On the profile page, right below the member name, look for "user lists." That will give you a drop down box to add them to your ignore list.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The ignore button made things more annoying to me.... it still shows that the person posted, you just can't see the post. I kept finding myself wondering what obnoxious thing the person was saying now and clicking the link to read the post anyway.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Evan Thomas

Same here, Brian.

I quit using it because it drove me crazy not to know what they said this time.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Water-Man

They had you guys in mind when they coined the phrase 'bet you can't eat just one'.
Old October 10, 2013, 01:04 PM   #6
johnelmore

The moderation is really good here and I have confidence they will take care of abusive users quickly.

As for the ignore button its right in your head. As a responsible user and owner of firearms you have to train yourself to ignore certain abrasive people or those who get under your skin. You have to let certain things go and be happy.
Old October 10, 2013, 01:52 PM   #7
BarryLee

Quote:
The moderation is really good here and I have confidence they will take care of abusive users quickly.
Agree. Also, I try to remember that just because I consider a post to be “ignorant” doesn’t necessarily mean it has no value or does not add to the conversation.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman