The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 11, 2020, 08:42 AM   #226
Atticus Thraxx

Not to be the contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, the Bulldog I bought was the worst wheelie I've ever owned. Trigger in particular was terrible and took so much force in DA it was almost useless. Back to Charter Arms (excellent customer service by the way) and while better, it still sucked. Last I saw it was in the bottom of my bosses tackle box. Good place for it.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old June 11, 2020, 09:19 PM   #227
Buckeye!

Charter is now building a 6 shot 38spl on a Aluminum Bulldog sized frame .. with a 2 inch barrel and a fiber optic sight ...its called The Boxer
Old June 24, 2020, 08:52 AM   #228
Grizzly2

Now that's interesting. I really like the 3" .44spc Bulldog I have and was wishing they would build a 2" version without the ports and with a front sight.

But the Boxer sounds tempting. Especially if I'm not thrilled with the used stainless Stratford Undercover I recently bought but haven't fired yet.
Old June 24, 2020, 09:31 AM   #229
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
Now that's interesting. I really like the 3" .44spc Bulldog I have and was wishing they would build a 2" version without the ports and with a front sight.

But the Boxer sounds tempting. Especially if I'm not thrilled with the used stainless Stratford Undercover I recently bought but haven't fired yet.
I recall reading a blog or forum post from a guy who'd had Charter custom build a particular item for him. So, they do that, and it might be worth asking, if you're serious.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 24, 2020, 08:30 PM   #230
ccSnoopycc

I don’t see anything on their website for the 6 shot 38. Will it come in the Blacknitride finish? Seems like Charter Arms is coming out with a lot of new stuff but they are slow to distribute the products
Old June 27, 2020, 05:47 PM   #231
Buckeye!

Picked up a Charter Pitbull 40 S&W SS .. used ... boy a nasty gun ... it spent most its life stuffed between the car seat and console ... It cleaned up well , replaced the grip with a new one I had laying around ... smoooth trigger ... DA good .., single action light and crisp ... tight action .. great lockup ..
Old December 20, 2020, 03:54 PM   #232
biblethumpncop

Almost 6 months since the last post! I have sold 2 Charter Arms since then and had two 3" adjustable sights six shot .38's made since then! Who else has some Charter Arms love to share?
Old December 20, 2020, 09:23 PM   #233
BourbonCowboy

I've owned an .38 Special "Off Duty" snubbie for years. Last week I picked up a Southpaw. As silly as it seems, a left-handed revolver was a bucket list gun for me. I haven't found the time to shoot it, but that will happen soon. And the Off Duty .38 will become my wife's pistol.

Alien Gear actually makes holsters for the Undercover Lite - which is the right-handed version of the Southpaw. I bought the kydex shell and used a leather piece from another holster to fashion a hybrid holster for the revolver.

Last edited by BourbonCowboy; December 20, 2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old December 22, 2020, 08:43 PM   #234
krunchnik

I have an older model Undercover that has the all steel frame-it is a pretty decent shooter-now as the matter of grips goes-I need something a bit more substantial before putting many more rounds downrange.
Old December 22, 2020, 09:38 PM   #235
Carmady

"I need something a bit more substantial before putting many more rounds downrange."

Have you tried the current factory "full combat grips?" They're $20, and my favorite grip for CA revolvers.

On sale for $15.

https://charterfirearms.com/collecti...at-full-rubber
Old March 13, 2021, 07:58 PM   #236
RF4guy

I have an older Bulldog .44 I use as my carry weapon. I have an older Target Bulldog in .357 that was having trouble with a cylinder release. It's an older model that was made in the 70s when Charter Arms was under different management. I sent it to the current company fully expecting to pay the 60 or $70 they quoted me to fix it. They sent it back fixed no charge. Solid products and stand up people.
Old April 26, 2021, 09:08 AM   #237
biblethumpncop

I mentioned my two 3" adjustable sighted six shot Police Undercovers. Just a shout out to the customer service from Charter Arms. One of the guns has functioned fine since I've had it. I actually carry it often and it my wife is comfortable with it.

The other gun had timing issues and had to go back to the factory twice. They replaced it with a new gun the second time. Since it's not a factory cataloged gun, they made a new one for me but put the wrong barrel on it. The gun I got as a replacement had a much lower front sight on it. They sent me a label right away and are correcting the problem. Turns out they put a barrel from a fixed sights gun on it. Not a big deal since this isn't a gun they typically produce and humans make mistakes. I bought a stainless steel grip frame from them and had them install it as well. The gun had a slick action when I got it (prior to returning it for the barrel issue). Both of my 38's have nice triggers now and stainless steel grip frames. I like the balance better. The alloy grip frame is 2 oz lighter than the steel.

I also bought a Target Pathfinder 4" .22lr at the same time. I also bought a stainless steel grip frame and when I went to install it, I lost the mainspring! It shot out accidentally which was totally my fault. Charter Arms sent me a new one but I wonder if I was sent the wrong one. The gun has very frequent misfires with 5 different types of ammo. I also noticed the b/c gap was huge. (.020"). That is back getting worked on right now. It has potential to be a great little kick around 22lrz. 8 shots are cool. My Colt Diamondback is a 6 shot and a much higher quality but the Pathfinder is fun. The Pathfinder has the same cylinder release as the 38's, as opposed to my Colt. Therefore it's a better training tool for my wife and daughter since the .38's are theirs.
Old April 26, 2021, 09:09 AM   #238
biblethumpncop

I can't load pictures!
Old April 29, 2021, 09:37 AM   #239
Dunross

Given the difficulty I had to go to in finding a 44spl Bulldog there should be more traffic in this thread!

Then finding a 44 wadcutter mold to feed it with.

Now I'm trying to find a heavier wadcutter mold, but likely will have to have Accurate make one for me.

Azula makes a couple of nice pocket holsters for Bulldogs. Work well in my pockets anyway, but tight trousers are not my thing. May not work well there.