The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 4, 2021, 04:12 PM   #1
Porsche911

Kimber K6 4" .357 Mag opinions (+ used value)

I had no idea that Kimber made a revolver. I agree that I am out of touch with modern handguns.

I looked at a Kimber K6 that was offered to me at $750 (w/box). I looked at the Kimber site, and the MSRP is $1049 (who pays ask price?).

I assume the quality is that of Kimber with no issues?
Old January 4, 2021, 05:33 PM   #2
MC 1911

I bought the K6s and quality was excellent and there were no issues. Trigger was better then the new S&W's out of the box. I don't expect the 4" to be ant different & $750 isn't a terrible price.
Old January 4, 2021, 06:18 PM   #3
Porsche911

Thanks,
It's still available.
Old January 4, 2021, 06:34 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Hammer or no hammer, adjustable sights?

I own Rugers, and Smiths, but the Kimber is in my opinion, the best revolver I've ever owned and shot.
Ruger security six, Ruger police six, Ruger alaskan, Smith 19, 626, 629, K17, 60, and on and on. Oh, and a Colt OP and even a "Cougar".
Old January 5, 2021, 01:17 AM   #5
reddog81

The DASA models are going for $900 to $1,000 now. $750 probably a good price for a used one in good condition.
Old January 8, 2021, 11:27 AM   #6
wild cat mccane

Kimber doesn't have the best reputation.

Are these good revolvers? I admit they are good looking...
Old January 8, 2021, 01:00 PM   #7
MC 1911

Yes they are good revolvers.
Old January 8, 2021, 02:45 PM   #8
dontcatchmany

I got the K6S 2" in December 2018.

Saw it in a gun shop and jumped on it.

Took it home and started shooting. 38 sp, 38+P, 357 magnum of all weights and power. Approx. 350 rounds.

Shot great and very accurate.........UNTIL...it quit firung at all.

Sent it back to Kimber and got it back in about 10 days (pretty quick considering 4 of the days were Sat/Sun. Very nice customer support folks.

The entire striker assembly had been replaced. Seems as though during the time mine was made,Kimber was outsourcing some of the parts and got some with bad firing pins.

OH, be careful to not dry fire the gun. I think that is what broke my striker and the fact that it was a shop model which had probably been dry fired quite a few times. Even after the fix, I use snap caps.

I have since put some 2,000 rounds through it of mostly 357 Magnum. Also put a rubber Hogue grip on it to mitigate the recoi.

The little DA revolver has been a dream to shoot. Got it in my pocket now.

The only other problem initially was finding a decent grip. To me, the factory grips were atrocious. There are good grips available now.

The Hogue grip allows me to shoot the most powerful of Magnums very comfortably for as long as I want to shoot.

The K6s has the best trigger of all of my other revolvers....Ruger and S&W....except my S&W model 327.

Kimber did put the gun on the streets with a lack of fore thought. Now grips were available for about a year.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; January 8, 2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old January 8, 2021, 03:22 PM   #9
HighValleyRanch

I took my Hogue monogrips to the grinder and restippled with a solder iron.
They are now much slimmer, but didn't take any off the backstrap area, so they are as cushiony as before without the bulk.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010329.JPG (146.1 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg P1010328.JPG (146.2 KB, 383 views)
Old January 8, 2021, 05:32 PM   #10
kell

Why doesn't Kimber have a good reputation. I don't know and I dont own any Kimbers.
Old January 8, 2021, 08:00 PM   #11
smee78

I have one of the Kimber K6S revolvers and have no complaints about it. Have had it for a few years now, it gets carried often and it shoots great and I really like the trigger.
Old January 8, 2021, 08:10 PM   #12
MC 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell View Post
Why doesn't Kimber have a good reputation. I don't know and I dont own any Kimbers.
I think it stems from the fact that at one time Kimber made more 1911's then their competitors With that many guns you are bound to have some problems. I've had more problems with Colt's (flame suit on) then any Kimber.

I also think that a great number of problems are owner / operator related. People are more apt to complain and post about it then they are if there's no issues. This is true about most things. Just my opinion.
Old January 8, 2021, 08:23 PM   #13
volkstrm

Just need to add a ruger sp101 & gp100
Old January 14, 2021, 06:17 PM   #14
gnystrom

The internet can do terrible things to good people. I have (gasp) a 3" Ultra CDPII that has thousands of rounds through it and all I do is replace the RSA about every 2000 rounds.
My K6s 2" has been with me since it was introduced. It is so nice I sold a handful of S&W snubbies that were getting lonesome in my safe.
Kimber makes good stuff. Springfield Armory makes good stuff, as well as a dozen other makers that get trashed on the internet because someone is unhappy.
BTW, the often trashed Sig P365 is may be the most perfect carry gun currently in the marketplace.
Old January 14, 2021, 08:28 PM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
The internet can do terrible things to good people. I have (gasp) a 3" Ultra CDPII that has thousands of rounds through it and all I do is replace the RSA about every 2000 rounds.
My K6s 2" has been with me since it was introduced. It is so nice I sold a handful of S&W snubbies that were getting lonesome in my safe.
Kimber makes good stuff. Springfield Armory makes good stuff, as well as a dozen other makers that get trashed on the internet because someone is unhappy.
BTW, the often trashed Sig P365 is may be the most perfect carry gun currently in the marketplace.
Well said about the Kimber! And I would love to have a K6. My brother has one, and I have shot it and have to say they are really nice. Beautiful firearm. Sounds like a good deal especially with the prices and availability of guns now.
Old January 20, 2021, 10:03 AM   #16
Wheel-Gunner

I have really enjoyed mine (3", DAO). I really wish they would release a 4" blued version. I would be the first in line if they did. Nothing like a nice blued revolver!
Old January 20, 2021, 09:44 PM   #17
Mr.RevolverGuy

I tried to answer a similar question like this for myself, but my question was is there a need for a 5shot Jframe anymore? It was just that good.

A crap load of K6s video's https://www.youtube.com/user/Dayatth...ry=Kimber%20K6