The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 14, 2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Hardy

Percussion cap questions

" 11's fall off. There is a way to crimp them and of course roughing up nipples. "10's misfire too much. I hear that reannoctors are using 10.75 caps. After searching internet -most info is vague. Are they available? And(if so) Where?

WBH
Old July 14, 2011, 04:48 PM   #2
birdshot

cap height

some brands of caps are taller than others. My ROA does well with Remington but occassionaly CCI fall off.
Old July 14, 2011, 05:05 PM   #3
mykeal

"10.75" is often the 'size' attributed to percussion caps made by Dynamit Nobel, aka RWS caps; that's probably because they have the number '1075' (without the decimal point) on the label. They compare to CCI and Remington caps as follows:

By the way, despite the three decimal places those numbers are not claimed to be highly accurate. Others have gotten different results, although the relationships between sizes and brands is preserved.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Hardy

I loaded a 61 uberti navy w/ 20grains goex. I had already cleared chambers w/#10's and replaced w/10's. they were seated and stored for 4 days. I fired 1 and the next 2 didn't pop. Anyway after those 2 did on 2nd go round. One would not. I pulled it off w/needle nose plyers and put a#11 on and fired it out. After cleaning I noticed bluin was a rainbow of colors. Those cci caps are hot but are not dependable for me.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

Your best course of action is to replace the nipples with a standard U.S. brand. Like Treso. They will fit the caps properly.
Old July 14, 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Andy Griffith

Tresos are Spanish made. The Treso nipples are very good after trying them.

What year is your 61?
Old July 14, 2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Hardy

Its 2 years old. And yes heard of those nipples--gonna order some. I saw a guy in the sventies break down his Rem- he soaked his nipples in everclear and never put oil on then but took a pipe cleaner and lightly coated the cylinder threads w/ A/1---I noticed nipples seemed to be sliced w/ cutting tool that had small and sharp burrs. He said that kept his caps from falling off. Ya'll do that?
Old July 14, 2011, 09:28 PM   #8
pvt.Long

I use 10s on my colt and remigton 44s and 11mags on my dragoon. only problem I have is when the caps fall in the guts of the gun. If 10s misfire use a different brand.
Old July 14, 2011, 10:15 PM   #9
kwhi43

Hardy, That Everclear comment reminds me about my ex-wife, but that's
a story for another place and another time.
Old July 14, 2011, 11:00 PM   #10
Hellgate

The CCI & Remington caps are not equivalent in size. A rough order of size to fit any particular nipple (going from tightest to most loose):

CCI#10 smallest
CCI #11
Rem#10
RWS#1075
Rem#11

The CCI#10s don't fit any of my guns, they are too small.
Half my guns will take a CCI#11 and half will take a RWS#1075 but ALL of them take the Rem#10. The rem#10 is taller and easily flares as it is seated on a wider variety of cone shapes & tapers. If you have loose caps, just pinch them out of round and seat them but a proper fitting cap is best. Most of my ASM, ASP & Uberti guns have STOCK nipples that take the Rem#10. If not I get the stainless steel replacement nipples that fit the Rem#10s.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 15, 2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Griffith
Tresos are Spanish made. The Treso nipples are very good after trying them.
Uh, No, they're made right here in the good ole USA by Treso, Ltd, which is the manufacturing division of The House of Muskets and is located in Pagosa Springs, CO. Treso uses Ampco™, a proprietary aluminum bronze alloy for their percussion nipples.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 15, 2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Hardy

Thanks guuys--I guess my wholesellers donmt carry tresos --gonna check into it. I also thought that roughing and scratching that i mentioned earlier might be dangerous since a sharp burr could ignite cap when placing. What do you think?
Old July 15, 2011, 06:10 PM   #13
kwhi43

I chuck mine up in a drill and start with 320 and end up with 1500 grit
wet-dry paper. Mine look like they are chrome plated.
Old July 15, 2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Hardy

Ok -- like I said- 10.75 caps don't seem to be available but in vague posts they are. It's like the twighlite zone . Are they there to be bought?
Old July 15, 2011, 07:24 PM   #15
mykeal

Hardy - go back and read post #3 very carefully. 1075's are RWS caps made by Dynamit Nobel. Carried by many sutlers, including The Log Cabin Shop.

If you wish to carry Treso products, contact The House of Muskets via their web site: http://www.houseofmuskets.com/
Old July 15, 2011, 07:29 PM   #16
kwhi43

Here's just one source for them http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=3722
Old July 16, 2011, 01:28 AM   #17
62coltnavy

Geez, an extra $25 for shipping! Not something you want to buy mail order if you can avoid it! I'm lucky, I guess, one out of five gun dealers in town actually carries them. Never had a dud.
Old July 16, 2011, 07:54 AM   #18
Doc Hoy

Coupla thoughts

Shipping costs - The shipping charges of some of the mail order houses turns me off too. I would not want to be a small online retailer unless I really had a niche.

Squeazing caps - I have had one chain fire event in my life. It was in a 1851 pattern Sheriff which I was knowingly shooting with caps that needed to be pinched. I had good fitting round balls and schmootzed the chambers with bear grease. But the only caps I had with me were too big. This pistol shot fine through numerous rounds with the right size caps. But when I used the larger caps, I had a chain fire of the post battery chamber with the first shot.

My situation is not exactly like Hardy's since I knew my caps were oversized but shot the pistol anyway.

AND....I am not saying the pistol chain fired BECAUSE of the pinched caps. I will never know what actually happened.

BUT....I took from the experience the idea that pinching caps can permit a chain fire to occur from the aft end of the cylinder. So I don't pinch caps any more...ever.
Old July 16, 2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Hawg

I've only tried this on one revolver but I've just capped one nipple at a time and never had a chain. Maybe other revolvers are different.
Old July 16, 2011, 03:50 PM   #20
Hardy

Thanks guys

I'm going to look in to those caps. Maybe too expensive?

WBH
Old July 16, 2011, 11:11 PM   #21
ZVP

If we are using the "stock" Nipples and want to try and modify them for best preformance, do we want to go shiney and polished, or rough?
It would seem to me that a rough texture would hold the caps in place better.
Thanks,
ZVP
Old July 17, 2011, 02:11 AM   #22
Hawg

Methinks rough would make them harder to seat, seems like some folk have a hard enough time seating them to begin with with all the posts about second strike firings.
Old July 17, 2011, 09:00 AM   #23
kwhi43

Thats right. I never have to strike them twice. The hand polished fit keeps
them on the nipple tight. Black powder redisue won't stick on a shinny surface
either. Been doing it this way for 50 years.
Old July 18, 2011, 03:54 AM   #24
Shotput79

The #10s are to big for my 51 .36 cal Navy. I'm thinking about trying the Treso nipples on it. If they work out may put them on all my revolvers. Have to fix one revolver a mouth. Wife giving me a hard time about buying to many BP revolvers. Can you believe that, to many revolvers? I want a refund on the old lady. Only two ways I'ed ever shoot anybody. One if they were trying to brake in my house and #2 is if someone took the old wify, and tried to bring her back That women drives me Might be better off to wait a little while longer, and order all them at the same time. The last time I looked up the Treso nipples they were about $30.00 bucks per six. That would cost me about $240.00 plus S&H. Is it true that if you change to the Treso nipples you will be able to use #11 caps on your revolvers. That puts and end to having to order #10s anymore. Those things aren't cheap after you put the hazemat fee on them. Believe they were around $70.00 bucks last time I bought 1000 of them.
Old July 18, 2011, 12:19 PM   #25
arcticap

Another option for American made nipples is Blomquist Percussion Works who makes customs nipples as well as all types of stock nipples for many retailers.
It's reported that his phone number has changed from the one listed on his website.
His nipples are said to be made of hard steel which have a fairly small flash hole.
He also offers some volume pricing. Any questions just ask him.

His working phone number is reported to be 317-706-0712.

http://www.blomquistpercussionworks.com/

http://blomquistpercussionworks.com/products.html

Last edited by arcticap; July 18, 2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Incorrect phone number