The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 7, 2020, 11:36 PM   #1
Bearbuck

New Rifle and Scope choice

I recently got a TC Compass in 300 win mag. I am also looking for a scope. I found a used Leupold VX II 4x12x40 with the CDS system. It's at a store I used to work at. Owner said he let me have it for $206.00. Or I could buy a new Leupold Freedom or Rifleman around same price as the used VX II. Which would you all choose? Is that a good deal? Thanks
Old January 8, 2020, 12:02 AM   #2
bamaranger

me

The VX-II was a step ahead of the Rifleman and the VX-I series when all were introduced back whenever. The latter two were Leupold's price point scopes. Now the Freedom is the price point.

Me, I'd pick the VX-II believing I'd be getting a tad better scope, used or not. I don't have any data to back that, just one guys thoughts.
Old January 8, 2020, 03:03 AM   #3
std7mag

I'm with Bamaranger on this one.

Bear in mind, the CDS may not be setup correctly for your 300 Win Mag.
With the VDS you need to pick your bullet, and get accurate velocities & send that to Leupold for them to etch the correct turret.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 8, 2020, 07:07 AM   #4
jmr40

The VX-II with Roman numerals was discontinued YEARS ago and replaced with the VX-2 with Arabic numbers. If it is really the VX-II with Roman numerals I'd pass. It is just too old.

And even the VX-2's have evolved over the years. If the adjustment knobs are click adjustable it is a newer VX-2 made in the last 8-9 years. Many of the original VX-2's had friction adjustment and those can be quite old too and I'd have to pass.

The only difference between the Rifleman, VX-1, and VX-2 were the options available on them. The glass was always the same. But the Rifleman and VX-1 were basic scopes. If you wanted different options such as CDS or different reticles you had to pay more for the VX-2.

A couple of years ago Leupold streamlined their offerings. The current VX-Freedom replaced the VX-2, but with fewer options to choose from. The lower priced Rifleman and VX-1 versions were discontinued. It is a good scope, just as good as a recent VX-2, and a lot better than a VX-II. But even if it is a VX-2 it could be 15 years old or more. Given the same quality scope new I'd go with the new VX-Freedom

FYI, there is no such thing as a 4X12X40 scope. It is a 4-12X40 scope. There is a huge difference in the meaning when it is written incorrectly.

Winston Churchill
Old January 9, 2020, 12:54 AM   #5
bamaranger

oops

Uh..........I missed that. Sorry.
Thanks for the correction.

But....since I still own and shoot Vari-X's, the VX-II is a new scope to me.
Old January 9, 2020, 05:38 PM   #6
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbuck View Post
I recently got a TC Compass in 300 win mag. I am also looking for a scope. I found a used Leupold VX II 4x12x40 with the CDS system. It's at a store I used to work at. Owner said he let me have it for $206.00. Or I could buy a new Leupold Freedom or Rifleman around same price as the used VX II. Which would you all choose? Is that a good deal? Thanks
Hard to say. All I have read says Freedom is better than vx2. CDS is a plus, if it has the correct dial.
Old January 9, 2020, 06:28 PM   #7
gw44

Vortex and don't look back, you will really like them !!!!
Old January 9, 2020, 07:06 PM   #8
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw44 View Post
Vortex and don't look back, you will really like them !!!!
In that price range he probably wont like them. Vortex has some good scopes, but their entry level stuff is optical junk.
Old January 9, 2020, 07:48 PM   #9
Capt Rick Hiott

I quit buying low end scopes years ago.
I save my money and get a Meopta.....

And yes,,,Its noticeably brighter than a Leupold in low light. I have both.....
Old January 9, 2020, 08:24 PM   #10
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
I quit buying low end scopes years ago.
I save my money and get a Meopta.....

And yes,,,Its noticeably brighter than a Leupold in low light. I have both.....
Meopta rules the night. Fully agree.