The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 4, 2019, 01:34 PM   #101
Lohman446

Quote:
Really? So the dealer wouldn't bear any legal liability for handing a cocked and loaded firearm to the transferee? I received a Bersa .380 a few years ago cocked with a live round in the chamber.....you are telling us I would have born no responsibility for the safety of my customer? That's absolute nonsense.
So your transfer fee includes a guarantee that the firearm you are transferring is in safe working order? I expect your working way too cheap.

As a transferee I expect the FFL to do the paperwork for me as required by law. its the service I am paying for. I do not expect any guarantee of condition of the purchased item as there was no transaction between the FFL and I for the purchased item.

That being said I'm not transferring anything special. Want to handle it? Don't care. Want to run it down to the range and put a few magazines through it? Don't care be my guest.

I highly doubt most dealers are doing the kind of volume in transfers that you are.
Old November 4, 2019, 09:12 PM   #102
dogtown tom

Quote:
Lohman446
Quote:
Quote:
Really? So the dealer wouldn't bear any legal liability for handing a cocked and loaded firearm to the transferee? I received a Bersa .380 a few years ago cocked with a live round in the chamber.....you are telling us I would have born no responsibility for the safety of my customer? That's absolute nonsense.
So your transfer fee includes a guarantee that the firearm you are transferring is in safe working order? I expect your working way too cheap.
Nowhere did I insinuate that the firearm was inspected to ensure it was/is in safe working order. Clearly I was addressing your comment "No responsibility for the safety of the firearm in question only for the paperwork".......that means verifying the firearm is unloaded. That's the point of this thread.

Quote:
As a transferee I expect the FFL to do the paperwork for me as required by law. its the service I am paying for. I do not expect any guarantee of condition of the purchased item as there was no transaction between the FFL and I for the purchased item.
No kidding?
But I'll bet you would scamper on down to the law offices of Dewey, Screwem & Howe faster than Trump can send a tweet if your dealer handed you a loaded firearm and you shot yourself.

Where you get the idea that a dealer would somehow guarantee the condition or usability of a firearm is odd, being that no one but you has mentioned that.
Again, the receiving dealer should verify that the firearm is unloaded before handing it to the buyer/transferee....thats common sense.

Quote:
I highly doubt most dealers are doing the kind of volume in transfers that you are.
Whether it is a sale or transfer doesn't matter.....proper safety procedures apply. That means verifying the firearm is unloaded.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 4, 2019, 10:05 PM   #103
OneFreeTexan

101 posts, please can’t we put this tread to rest now...???
Old November 4, 2019, 11:18 PM   #104
Ibmikey

Surshot, I think I got the last two sets of stag grips from Colt in the late nineties, at least that is what the Custom Shop told me when shipping these two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3214F0E7-09BB-4745-8DAB-0CF0324F534D.jpeg (27.9 KB, 60 views)
Old November 5, 2019, 10:19 AM   #105
shurshot

OneFreeTexan, as soon as I get a check (crickets still chirping) and the case is closed, as far as I'm concerned, it will be a dead issue. Until that point, I'm left with a damaged gun, thanks to a nimrod and his employer. I'm sure if it was YOUR Colt that was frigged with, you might want the thread to remain open...? After all, this isn't a $150 Heritage Rough Rider we are discussing, but a brand new 2K COLT SAA

IBMikey, BEAUTIFUL brace of revolvers!!! I like those grips. Very nice.

Last edited by shurshot; November 5, 2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old November 19, 2019, 09:06 PM   #106
Jack19

Shurshot, Any update?
Old November 19, 2019, 09:50 PM   #107
shurshot

Crickets are still chirping... cobwebs on my mailbox. Time will tell if they follow through as they advised the Better Business Bureau they would ... over three weeks ago. Their choice and their reputation.
Colt has my gun, it will be a few months. One cannot rush perfection.
Old November 19, 2019, 09:52 PM   #108
jonnyc

Have you called the owner and BBB again?
Mention that you plan to blast them on-line, FB, etc.
Old November 20, 2019, 06:53 AM   #109
shurshot

I'm trying to be patient as it's my understanding that the range / shop is a subdivision of a MUCH larger company. Therefore the shop just can't cut a check... it has to be approved and sent by the clerical in the main office. In my mind, 30 days should be a fair wait before taking the next step.
Old November 20, 2019, 07:38 AM   #110
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc
Have you called the owner and BBB again?
Mention that you plan to blast them on-line, FB, etc.
And this advice will in what way help the situation ? Calmness and respect brings closure, yelling threats and screaming does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot
I'm trying to be patient as it's my understanding that the range / shop is a subdivision of a MUCH larger company. Therefore the shop just can't cut a check... it has to be approved and sent by the clerical in the main office. In my mind, 30 days should be a fair wait before taking the next step.
Good thing come to those that wait. I had to deal with a black and white quality issue with a Vector 9mm Uzi, had to send it back and they told me a 10 week turnaround, it ended up being 6 months. In the world of gunsmithing the wheels turn slowly, but they do turn ! Hoping your final outcome is perfect !
Old November 20, 2019, 07:50 AM   #111
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
I'm trying to be patient as it's my understanding that the range / shop is a subdivision of a MUCH larger company....
A few searches at your state's Secretary of State page (or perhaps some other agency, but SoS is my guess) should reveal information on their corporate status. It may even tell you who the larger company is, if you don't have that info.
Old November 20, 2019, 10:58 AM   #112
shurshot

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, I'm very much aware of who the owner is and where he lives, as it's a small state and I have been a customer for years, and unlike Beto, I absolutely LOVE the parent company's products. Pretty sure they will make good on this situation and address the attitude of the staff member in question. I can't imagine otherwise.
I'm just waiting for them to make this right and get my Peacemaker back.

Last edited by shurshot; November 20, 2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old November 20, 2019, 06:14 PM   #113
agtman

Quote:
Crickets are still chirping... cobwebs on my mailbox. Time will tell if they follow through as they advised the Better Business Bureau they would ... over three weeks ago. Their choice and their reputation.
Colt has my gun, it will be a few months. One cannot rush perfection.
Dude, you got hosed and hosed hard.

Might try filing a lien on their business, but don't get your expectations up as to how that'll turn out down the road. They'll see it if they try to sell or file for bankruptcy. Could well be an impedement to their ability to do anything with the property and/or business.

Otherwise, it might just be high time to swallow hard, and move on.
Old November 20, 2019, 07:24 PM   #114
Mainah

You've provided enough info to just name the town where the shop is located. I can only think of two in the area besides Howell's (NOT THE SHOP) within the area you've described. Could be helpful for others.
Old November 20, 2019, 10:30 PM   #115
tallball

I'm curious to hear how this turns out.

There would be no reason for him to remember me, but dogtown tom did a transfer for me several years ago. It was an FEG 32acp, a Walther PP clone.
Old December 2, 2019, 04:29 PM   #116
shurshot

Update; Check arrived today! Finally. Seriously too bad a reputable company I enjoyed doing buisness with would refuse to make good on damage caused by their employee and condone his poor attitude / rude behavior. If I hadn't filed a complaint with the BBB and threatened them with small claims court, they never would have made this right. Going to find a small gunshop next time, with a man or woman who has common sense. Done with these idiots.

Now I'll just await my Colt's return. I found a vintage set of Ajax Sambar stag grips with the Colt logo, ordered and en route! I may have to sand / custom fit them a bit, but that's ok. Decided I'm going to shoot it, carry it, wear it out over the next few decades before I cash my chips in. Should make a real nice trail / fishing / CCW gun.
We only go this way once, may as well carry a real Colt.

Last edited by shurshot; December 2, 2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old December 2, 2019, 07:59 PM   #117
2wheelwander

Congrats. I think you handled this well. Made me appreciate my LGS all the more. They've done a fair amount for transfers for me including some a 1969 .44 mag 3 screw exactly as your SAA. Complete, as new in original box, .45 ACP cylinder in original cardboard box, etc., etc. They never fiddled with it, didn't even see finger prints on it when I picked it up.

Had they mucked it up, I'd been more pissed than you. Didn't occur to me how much can be taken for granted, that we just expect a professional not to have their head up their rear end.

FWIW, I've had it a few years and only wipe it down and smile at it. Still haven't shot it. Sits next to a near (had a faint turn ring) mint 4" 29-2 with a mint box.

I'm with you!
Old December 3, 2019, 07:48 AM   #118
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
Update; Check arrived today! Finally. Seriously too bad a reputable company I enjoyed doing buisness with would refuse to make good on damage caused by their employee and condone his poor attitude / rude behavior. If I hadn't filed a complaint with the BBB and threatened them with small claims court, they never would have made this right. Going to find a small gunshop next time, with a man or woman who has common sense. Done with these idiots.

Now I'll just await my Colt's return. I found a vintage set of Ajax Sambar stag grips with the Colt logo, ordered and en route! I may have to sand / custom fit them a bit, but that's ok. Decided I'm going to shoot it, carry it, wear it out over the next few decades before I cash my chips in. Should make a real nice trail / fishing / CCW gun.
We only go this way once, may as well carry a real Colt.
Good and GOOD..well done. Particularly the 'gonna shoot it' part..sweet Colt.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 3, 2019, 09:15 AM   #119
jetinteriorguy

Nothing worse than dealing with idiots. Problem with idiots, they're too dumb to know how dumb they are. The path you've taken to use and enjoy your gun is the way I go. I prefer to use and enjoy my toys.
Old December 3, 2019, 07:17 PM   #120
DaleA

Glad it turned out well. Thanks for coming back and updating the thread.
Old December 3, 2019, 08:20 PM   #121
reddog81

They’re giving you a check and letting you keep the gun? How’d they decide what the damage was worth?
Old December 3, 2019, 09:14 PM   #122
shurshot

Compensation only for the damage, based upon what I was told the cost of rebluing the cylinder was (not covered under Warranty). I didn't want a new gun, just this one repaired and checked for sear damage.
Old December 6, 2019, 05:53 AM   #123
shurshot

I refer back to one of my earlier posts... and the scenario of ordering a new sports car, only to arrive at the dealership to pick it up, and discovering the Salesman had put several hundred miles on it and scratched the paint, then refused to accept responsibility for the damage.
When I buy something, especially a high end product, I expect it to be in brand NEW condition when I pick it up, not used.
The clerk's attitude after the fact didn't help. At that point, having the gun refurbished and holding the shop accountable became a matter of PRINCIPLE.
If you are going to purchase a BRAND NEW product (especially a gun), any scratches, wear, etc., should come from YOU, not some arrogant employee who wanted to play with it prior to your arrival.
The Colt will be made new again, but tainted after its brief visit on 302, hence my decision to use it.

Last edited by shurshot; December 6, 2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old December 6, 2019, 07:26 PM   #124
2wheelwander

This reminds me of something my Dad told me long ago. Every car will eventually get scratched, but don't accept a new car with scratched paint. Part of what you are paying is to be the one to put that first stone chip on it.

I'm with you shurshot.
Old December 7, 2019, 09:53 AM   #125
jetinteriorguy

Holding the company responsible for their employees actions is the right thing to do. Regardless of your original intent for the gun vs your final use. This country has been slowly sliding down a slippery slope of poor service and bad worker attitude for a long time and people need to stand against that. Totally a matter of principle, and the younger generation really needs to learn this.
Closed Thread