Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 20, 2020, 09:17 AM   #26
Targa

Put me down for a Mini 14 as well.
Old January 20, 2020, 09:38 AM   #27
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
I know, I know, it's cold outside and the outdoor range is still snow clobbered..2 sons and I going to the gun show in Denver on the 25th. I know, 'gunshow' but we are thinking about one of these 4 'choices'...assuming a budget would cover any of them..which? Just for range plinking, fun..

Ruger mini-14
Ruger mini-30
New manufacture M1 Carbine
Old, decent shape, WW2/Korean era M1 Carbine.

AND before anybody says 'AR type platform'..oldest son already has one of those..looking for 'different'...
Given the choices, If money were no object...
1- Fulton M1 Carbine
2- USGI M1 refurbed by Fulton
3- Mini-14
4- Mini-30

The M1 is one of the most "fun" firearms ever made, an utter hoot. USGI Carbines have skyrocketed in price but are often in need of refurb to help them become reliable, so given the cost I would just pick a Fulton built modern one and be done with it. The other current production ones are spotty at best, junk at worst, Ive wasted money and time on them... don't waste yours.

As for the Mini, I have never owned one in my entire life (not sure how that happened) but always wanted one. I finally picked up my first 14 last summer and have been having fun with it (I was planning on posting about my experience), basically beefed up & modernized M1 Carbine.

If funds didn't allow for a Fulton, I would have no hesitation about buying a Mini.
Old February 4, 2020, 01:31 PM   #28
Picher

My family had an original M1 Carbine and it was a BLAST! It was accurate and reliable, using only military ball ammo. All the rifles you mentioned could be fun, but the .30 carbine cartridge is a pistol round, so not a great 200+ yard shooter or hunting round, so go with what meets your long-term needs and ammo availability.

Should you ever want to scope it, the Mini 14 might be a better candidate.
Old February 20, 2020, 10:54 AM   #29
aidenohara

I will get the Mini 30, provided money was no object. Why? I'm primarily geared as a hunter and outdoorsman, and I see the 7.62x39mm cartridge as more versatile than the M1 .30 carbine, or the (gasp) .223. Given the degree of accuracy available from most Mini's, your not giving anything up much in terms of range, even though the .223 is faster and flatter. auto clicker

Last edited by aidenohara; February 21, 2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old February 20, 2020, 12:11 PM   #30
riffraff

I am not a "piece of history" sort of guy, I like stuff that works, unique is good, but history doesn't add anything.

For me the most practical and coolest model out of those is a mini 14 in the "LE" version (which is just a name, it's not only for LE).. They have a non threaded 16 inch barrel with a simple stock, in stainless. Very handle short rifles, you do see a flash out of them w/ 5.56 minus a birdcage, but they work well and are not all tacticooled out..

Mini 30's are great just they don't make a 16 inch stainless model without a threaded barrel. Nothing wrong w/ a threaded barrel just I think it's nice to have the sight right at the end of the barrel without any extra stuff, as short as you can legally own them, at least for a change of pace in rifles.
Old February 20, 2020, 12:27 PM   #31
HistoryJunky

I would go with the Mini-14 or 30. I wish either of those rifles was compatible with AR or AK mags though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old February 20, 2020, 05:51 PM   #32
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post
I would go with the Mini-14 or 30. I wish either of those rifles was compatible with AR or AK mags though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
One thing on Mini's is you basically gotta run factory 20 round mags. An aftermarket model or two exists that might work well, or can be made to work well, but it's not worth the headache. Mini 14 30-round mags are available but my experience is similarly not great.

This is no different than most other guns. A mini is not a spec based AR, just means you spend more on mags, on the flip side they are good quality mags.
Old February 20, 2020, 07:20 PM   #33
Kreyzhorse

I'd buy the old M1 unless you needed a full time shooter. I'd expect them to be priced a bit high at a gun show but you never know.
Old February 24, 2020, 04:08 PM   #34
dgludwig

Ruger Mini-14, hands down.
Old February 26, 2020, 09:40 AM   #35
USNRet93

Bought the Ruger mini-14..GREAT shooter, GREAT fun...
Quote:
My experience with the mini is that it was a very poor performer. It felt like I was shooting a lawnboy. I can't recall my experience with an m1 carbine. I would not buy either, but that's just me. I'm one who would ride out the semiauto wave.
YMMV and all that. I prefer it to my other son's Ruger 556. Very easy to shoot well, reliable, lotsa fun..don't get the 'lawnboy' reference.

'Ride out the semi auto wave'??

Don't get that one either..Wait for what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clyde_armory_used_ruger_mini_14_580_581_582_583.jpg (24.6 KB, 16 views)

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; February 28, 2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old February 28, 2020, 05:07 AM   #36
briandg

My experience with the mini is that it was a very poor performer. It felt like I was shooting a lawnboy. I can't recall my experience with an m1 carbine. I would not buy either, but that's just me. I'm one who would ride out the semiauto wave.
Old February 29, 2020, 08:12 AM   #37
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post
thanks

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 29, 2020, 12:20 PM   #38
briandg

The only rifle that I am particularly happy with is the AR, and you said that you don't want them. The M1 carbine has usually been described as a fun little gun, not a serious weapon. The mini, when I fired it, was a clattering, slamming, inaccurate thing with an abominable trigger. I've seen enough of the AK and variants that I just can't be impressed.

So, I have, as I said, ridden out the semiauto wave. I wouldn't buy anything but an AR, which I have had good experiences with, and the prices of getting a suitably equipped one can do a lot of work on my ongoing home renovation.

I apologize for any lack of clarity.
Old February 29, 2020, 12:33 PM   #39
briandg

Usn:

The lawnmower reference was regarding the feel and function of the mini. It was unpleasant to shoot. Where most of my other guns are like a ride in a cadillac, the mini that I fired was like running a riding mower over mole hills.

As you yourself said, YMMV. the mini that I fired, in blk, didn't function as well as I thought a rifle that approached $1,000 should.

As far as riding it out? That's really too simple. I'm not getting them. I'm not waiting for anything.
Old February 29, 2020, 06:33 PM   #40
dgludwig

"Riding a mower over mole hills"? What do you mean? I've fired many a round behind an AR-15 and a Mini-14 and they were both enjoyable shooting experiences.

Last edited by dgludwig; March 1, 2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old March 1, 2020, 08:25 AM   #41
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post
Usn:

The lawnmower reference was regarding the feel and function of the mini. It was unpleasant to shoot. Where most of my other guns are like a ride in a cadillac, the mini that I fired was like running a riding mower over mole hills.

As you yourself said, YMMV. the mini that I fired, in blk, didn't function as well as I thought a rifle that approached $1,000 should.

As far as riding it out? That's really too simple. I'm not getting them. I'm not waiting for anything.
10-4..I get it. 'Maybe' I'm just not as learned as you, not criticizing. But the mini14 was fun, reliable, accurate, for ME..shot it yesterday. Compares favorably with other son's Ruger 556..both fun. Enjoy the Mini-14 by a wee bit..

Yup, YMMV.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 3, 2020, 02:17 PM   #42
briandg

USN, The biggest problem that I had with it in .300 with the heavy rounds was that the bolt rattled back and forth with a big old slam, a bit of a twist, a clatter, a clank, and every other noise that it could think of. Not so notable to someone who has spent a lifetime on semiautos, I suppose.

My comments about accuracy were strictly limited to the fact that I fired two rifles that day and the mini was significantly less accurate.