The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 29, 2019, 11:46 AM   #1
kst8fan

New rifle 6.5 creedmoor

In your opinion, who makes the best bolt action rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor? So far I’ve narrowed it down to 3 rifles. Savage 11 trophy hunter XP, Browning X-Bolt Hunter, and a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic. I know their all great rifles, and I would be using this rifle mostly for hunting (deer, coyotes) and long range shooting. I’m leaning more towards the Weatherby Vanguard because of the match trigger and their known accuracy, but I’d like to hear pros and cons for each rifle. I know nothing about the Browning as I’ve never owned their rifles. I have a few Savages and I have no complaints. Thanks in advance
Old December 29, 2019, 02:42 PM   #2
jmr40

Tikka.

Winston Churchill
Old December 29, 2019, 03:12 PM   #3
kilotanker22

Of the ones you listed, I would buy the Savage due to price and I have a soft spot for savage rifles. The Browning is a very fine rifle as is the Weatherby. Looks to me like you have it narrowed down to a few really good rifles. If you have handled them in person I would suggest buy the one that you like better
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old December 29, 2019, 04:02 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I'd prefer to look at and fondle the Browning, shoot the Weatherby, and melt down the Savage.
Old December 30, 2019, 06:33 AM   #5
hooligan1

Depends on what sort of usage its intended for.
The Weatherby is heaviest of the 3, but probably a great shooter.
The Browning is nice to look at, not sure the accuracy.
The Savage isnt pretty but its light and accurate.
Old December 30, 2019, 09:50 AM   #6
603Country

I have a Tikka, and it’s a terrific rifle. Super accurate. That said, my brother got a Bergara that I scoped, reloaded for, and zeroed. I was really impressed with that rifle. Fastest rifle I ever found an accuracy load for.

Of course, none of those are on your list, but they are what I’d buy.
Old December 30, 2019, 02:59 PM   #7
AgedWarrior

I like Savage rifles too (nothing against the Browning or the Vanguard) but the 11 Trophy Hunter has their basic tupperware stock, and that is not very impressive. Take a look at the 110 Desert Tactical that has their accu-stock...much better IMO. It is a bit more expensive, but a better rifle; then you can put some good glass on it instead of the entry level Nikon that the 11 Trophy Hunter is sporting.

A good alternative that is not on your list is a CZ 557.
Old December 31, 2019, 07:29 AM   #8
kst8fan

I’ve seen a few of the CZ rifles but I’ve never shot one. How do the CZ’s compare with accuracy to the Weatherby or a Savage? I know CZ makes really nice looking
Rifles.
Old December 31, 2019, 08:46 AM   #9
AgedWarrior

A friend has a 557 in 6.5x55; a really straight shooter. I shot right at MOA first time I shot the gun (5 rounds). I really liked it, thinking about getting a 557 in 6.5 Creedmore as a big brother for my CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel. My 527 is a sweet shooter too; not hard to shoot MOA or better pretty consistently with most factory ammo. Shoots 1/2-3/4” with my own loads using Hornady 123 SST’s.
Old January 1, 2020, 03:57 AM   #10
NHSHOOTER

Never owned a savage but I do own a weatherby s2 and a xbolt eclipse. If it were me I would buy the xbolt, super accurate (bughole groups at 100) and very smooth action, easily adjustable trigger. The weatherby has a good trigger if you like a 2 stage but its not quite as accurate..
Old January 1, 2020, 01:37 PM   #11
kst8fan

Several people are recommending the Tikka. Reviews are great on them, although they are a bit pricey. How do the Tikka rifles compare to the other rifles I listed in my OP? Would the Tikka T3 be a better rifle compared to the Weatherby
Vanguard or about the same as far as accuracy goes?
Old January 1, 2020, 02:55 PM   #12
jackstrawIII

Savages shoot ok but do NOTHING for me when it comes to pride of ownership. Dime a dozen, no mojo. I’ve owned a bunch, don’t own any currently.

Browning XBolts are slick guns. Very nice action and usually good shooters. If you like the angular look of them, you won’t be disappointed with their performance. I own one and have enjoyed it... but the looks are unusual to say the least.

Never owned a Weatherby, but I might sometime soon. Seem to be well made guns from what I’ve read.

As far as recommendations, I’m all about Winchester Model 70s and basically anything made by CZ.
Old January 1, 2020, 06:17 PM   #13
gw44

I have had a 116 Savage weather warrior in 6.5x284 Norma for years, one great gun !!!
Old January 2, 2020, 05:30 AM   #14
eastbank

Kimber hunter 84L.
Old January 14, 2020, 06:34 PM   #15
bamaranger

Yup!

I'm with eastbank. Kimber Hunter....but I think the CM will fit in their short action and not need the long, thus.......Kimber 84 Hunter. Light and portable, full size, and as somebody said on these forums, fill the gap between .243 and .308.
Old January 14, 2020, 07:29 PM   #16
Don Fischer

don't know that I've ever seen the best of anything! But I have certainly developed an Idea for what I like over the years. Had a brother in law years ago that had an 800 Mossberg in 30-06. claimed it was the best rifle ever made. Today when I look at rifles, I look at rifle's I like to look at. Are they the best? Shoot, I don't know but I do know I like them. Those that are fairly expensive compared to inexpensive, are selling finish and for the most part really aren't that much better rifle's. I think it's a mod 783 Remington? Low cost Rem made inexpensively. Next door neighbor got one and it has to be the ugliest rifle I've ever seen! I wouldn't buy it but, take care of it and it will probably last as long as an expensive rifle! How much some people pay for a rifle determine's how much care it get's. Buy a rifle you like to look at and that feel's good when you shoulder it! It's the best you can do!
Old January 14, 2020, 11:03 PM   #17
Pathfinder45

Quote:
In your opinion, who makes the best bolt action rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor?
Winchester model 70. The only uncertainty is whether to go with the Sporter, or the Featherweight, or the Supergrade. For that caliber, I think I would go with the Featherweight; otherwise it would be better to go with a regular 270 Winchester.
Don't be hung up on who makes the, "most accurate", rifle. They will all be more accurate than you are. Step away from the bench and work on your own personal marksmanship skills using real-life, field-expedient positions that you would be likeliest to need in the inconvenience of the real world.
Just get a model 70 Winchester in real Walnut, start shooting, and go hunting.
Old January 14, 2020, 11:26 PM   #18
bamaranger

Oops!

Didn't see the "best" part of the OP. The Kimber Hunter is the one I'd get......I think. Also....

The 6.CM model appears to be the 84M.
Old January 15, 2020, 07:37 AM   #19
hooligan1

Savage came out with the 110, ??
It sports a Proof Research Carbon wrapped barrel, 6lbs.
Old February 4, 2020, 11:34 AM   #20
std7mag

Having owned a Howa (first gen Weatherby Vangard) i'll say it was the only gun i've ever been happy to sell! POS!

I own several Savages, and wouldn't trade them!

Best out of the box would be a Tikka!

I think you'll love the 6.5 Grendel! Low recoil, accurate....
Wait...
What???
He didn't say Grendel???
He said Creedmoor???
Yet another Creedmoor thread???
Great googly!!!
Somebody wake me up when someone buys a 308!!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 24, 2020, 09:50 AM   #21
Duffy Moon

I have a Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor and I think it's ideal for deer hunting. For long range shooting, I don't have enough experience to have an opinion.
Old March 2, 2020, 05:52 PM   #22
Brutalwarpig

Savage 110 Elite Precision

I recently bought the new 110 elite precision in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is spectacularly accurate! I've owned a few RPR's and a Thompson Center in 6.5 CR and they all shot well but at 600 and 1000 yards I could only get my groups to average around .75 moa. I'm beginning to compete PRS and F-class and wanted a great rifle to make me competitive. Savage announced the 110 Elite Precision last fall but they are just now starting to be available. The rifle is a stainless 110 target action with an extra heavy 26" Palma barrel, MDT ARCA benchrest chassis, AICS magazine and Accutrigger that adjusts between 9 oz. To 3 lbs. Yesterday I did the standard precision barrel break in then began seeing what it could do. My third 3 shot group at 600 yards was .54 inches! That's .09 moa! Basically 1 hole! Before this I could shoot 3 inch groups @ 600 yards occasionally and was proud of that but with this new rifle I was able to produce a 1.37 moa average with 5 three shot groups. I was just blown away that I got these results with any rifle much less a brand new one. This is definitely NOT a hunting rifle because it weighs 18 pounds with scope and rings and an ARCA bipod is ridiculously expensive ($400) but for around $1700 you get performance on par with $5000 custom rigs!

Last edited by Brutalwarpig; March 2, 2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old March 2, 2020, 06:00 PM   #23
Brutalwarpig

I tried to post pics of the rifle and the shot marker screen showing the shots but I did something wrong, sorry.
Old March 7, 2020, 04:24 PM   #24
Picher

I have a Tikka .243 and haven't had to do anything to it to make it shoot really great! It's the best out-of-the-box rifle I've ever had and I'd buy another in 7mm-08 if I didn't already have two sub-MOA, .270, tweaked Remington 700s with Canjar triggers and great stocks.
Old March 9, 2020, 04:15 AM   #25
Old Stony

I bought a Ruger in 6.5, right after they hit the market. While not beauty queens as some guys prefer, it does everything a guy would want out of that caliber....other than being real pretty. I carry mine in a truck that hits the woods daily and occasionally I take it to the range to check the scope as it gets banged around some...but it has never failed to fire a one inch group or better.
If a guy just wants a hunting rifle, it is hard to beat...but it's just a good tool...not eye candy. I have shot a lot of feral hogs and deer with mine and couldn't expect more from a rifle actually.