The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 3, 2020, 02:01 PM   #1
Xcobra122

H&R Shikiri (155)

I just picked up an H&R Shikiri in .45-70 Gov't. Everything I read about it suggests I should load it to level 1 (trapdoor) .45-70 levels and no more. That part I understand, but what does that mean where it concerns factory loaded ammunition? Is the off the shelf stuff going to be OK to shoot? Of course, I'm excluding anything that says +P or "magnum". I figure if the original .45-70-405 load won't kill it it's time to go home anyway but I got a bunch of 300 grain Winchester hollow points with the gun and want to make sure they're safe. I e-mailed Winchester to ask, but they told me I should contact H&R and ask them. I guess that's just their standard lawyer friendly response, but it doesn't really help since H&R isn't around anymore.
Old January 3, 2020, 02:29 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Its not just a standard "lawyer" response. Its also common sense. Winchester, (or anyone else) who isn't the gun maker cannot, and should not tell you if their ammo is safe in any specific gun, if they have not tested it in that gun.

SAAMI specs and general responsibility mean that unless the ammo is marked "do not use in..." then it is safe to use in your gun.

You'll find words like "intended for use in modern firearms in good condition originally chambered for this cartridge" on the ammo boxes, and that's your answer. if the ammo is loaded to pressures safe only in certain firearms, it will be so marked.

Anything else leaves the maker open to legal action, and they don't want that.
Old January 5, 2020, 03:28 AM   #3
Scorch

The H&R (and most other similar) break action rifles are rated for standard (Springfield Trapdoor pressure) cartridges. After all, they are built on shotgun receivers and can only take as much bolt thrust as a shotgun would give them or the locking system will fail.
Old January 5, 2020, 04:04 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
After all, they are built on shotgun receivers and can only take as much bolt thrust as a shotgun would give them or the locking system will fail.
Actually they will take significantly more than the shotgun rounds produce. HOWEVER, that is still well below modern high pressure rifle rounds.

In .45-70, sticking with the standard black powder equivalent load (trap door Springfield level loads) means you can't go wrong. Until/unless a specific gun design has been tested with hotter loads and proven safe, you are, essentially, "off the map" and "there be Dragons here!".

Most of the time you can go a bit off the map, and not be eaten by dragons. But tis a certainty that if you go TOO FAR you will meet a dragon, and they will eat you. How far is too far?? only testing (and people being eaten) shows that.

play it smart, and safe, and don't push things unless you're willing to be that test case.

Tags
.45-70 , 155 , h&r , shikiri