The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 28, 2019, 08:20 AM   #1
JJ45

NonToxic Degreaser advice, Please

I have used denatured alcohol for degreasing. Mostly for de-greasing flintlocks (Ballistol) prior to shooting but also other firearms....looking for something for degreasing lighter lubes like ballistol and CLP type lubes.

Anyone know of a natural non-toxic degreaser? Denatured alcohol works but warnings state it is toxic. This would obviously be something that would not destroy a blue finish like anything with vinegar.
Old December 28, 2019, 08:35 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

Slip 2000 makes a 725 Degreaser and a Carbon Cutter that are both non-toxic. The 725 degreaser seems pretty similar to Simple Green to me but I haven’t done any kind of chemical analysis. The Carbon Cutter is great but it takes time to work - especially if you’ve got copper layered in there or lead.
Old December 28, 2019, 12:40 PM   #3
50 shooter

Boretech makes solvents that are non hazardous, you can look at their website for what you're looking for. Look around at the prices, Amazon might be cheaper than BT do to shipping and taxes.

www.boretech.com
No time for rearranging.
Old December 28, 2019, 12:47 PM   #4
mehavey

Denatured alcohol is not toxic unless you literally swill it down.
What do you think hospitals use as disinfectant/rubbing alcohol?

For your intended use degreasing bore/pan in flintlocks, nothing better.
... if you got it, use it.
Old December 28, 2019, 02:40 PM   #5
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
Denatured alcohol is not toxic unless you literally swill it down.
What do you think hospitals use as disinfectant/rubbing alcohol?

For your intended use degreasing bore/pan in flintlocks, nothing better.
... if you got it, use it.
Thanks mehavey...that's the advice I was looking for.
Old December 29, 2019, 12:23 AM   #6
HiBC

Ethanol is the alcohol in adult beverages. The Federal Government has an interest in taxing beverage ethanol.

Ethanol has other uses,such as solvent,shellac,etc.

The Federal Government is opposed to the idea you could go to Ace Hardware and buy a gallon of ethanol and spike your lemonade with it without paying taxes.

So the Federal Government requires the gallon of ethanol be "denatured",or poisoned,by the addition of methanol,another alcohol,which is very harmful/fatal if consumed.

Not that I'm recommending this,but you could get past your concerns by using the liquor EverClear,which is nearly pure({90%) ethanol,with the taxes paid.Smirnov 100 proof Vodka is 50% ethanol,50% water.

I'm telling you that for perspective. No need to buy EverClear or vodka.

FWIW,even your typical gas station/convenience store typically has a little yellow bottle of HEET gas line deicer. Its denatured alcohol....ethanol made toxic by the addition of methanol. Its a handi source of a small quantity.

While I can appreciate that oil/grease may not be good on the frizzen/pan for ignition,I'm pretty sure you can just rag wipe them clean and you'll be fine. I don't think a solvent degrease is necessary.

For cleanup after shooting,yes you want to get the carbon off,but the corrosive components in the fouling are salts. The salts are water soluble,and water is what is used to remove them.

Last edited by HiBC; December 29, 2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old December 29, 2019, 01:02 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Trivia Alert. There is a whole library of denaturants. You might not to be able to tolerate a little methanol, so you get ethanol with something else unpalatable in it. Gasoline for one.

Anecdote alert: I guess every chemistry lab in the country has the Legend of the Missing Alcohol. Supposedly, the lab was doing such delicate work that no denaturant could be tolerated, straight ethanol was essential. Of course they kept the USP stuff under lock and key. But it still came up short. Some versions of the legend have the remaining alcohol watered to keep the bottle full and delay discovery.
So they doctored the open bottle with phenolphthalein.
They fired the custodian who was off the next day with acute diarrhea, being sure to recover his keychain.
Old December 29, 2019, 06:03 AM   #8
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
Ethanol is the alcohol in adult beverages. The Federal Government has an interest in taxing beverage ethanol.

Ethanol has other uses,such as solvent,shellac,etc.

The Federal Government is opposed to the idea you could go to Ace Hardware and buy a gallon of ethanol and spike your lemonade with it without paying taxes.

So the Federal Government requires the gallon of ethanol be "denatured",or poisoned,by the addition of methanol,another alcohol,which is very harmful/fatal if consumed.

Not that I'm recommending this,but you could get past your concerns by using the liquor EverClear,which is nearly pure({90%) ethanol,with the taxes paid.Smirnov 100 proof Vodka is 50% ethanol,50% water.

I'm telling you that for perspective. No need to buy EverClear or vodka.

FWIW,even your typical gas station/convenience store typically has a little yellow bottle of HEET gas line deicer. Its denatured alcohol....ethanol made toxic by the addition of methanol. Its a handi source of a small quantity.

While I can appreciate that oil/grease may not be good on the frizzen/pan for ignition,I'm pretty sure you can just rag wipe them clean and you'll be fine. I don't think a solvent degrease is necessary.

For cleanup after shooting,yes you want to get the carbon off,but the corrosive components in the fouling are salts. The salts are water soluble,and water is what is used to remove them.
A rag wipe will probably be sufficient but I don't want to take that chance. We've been hunting with flintlocks since they opened a special state wide season in the late 70s. (Pa) I have two flint locks. I will degrease one the night before a hunt with said alcohol.

I use the well known hot water flush after firing. I'll mix a little bar soap in by just washing my hands a little in the water, not much. Wipe with a dry rag then dry everything including bore with a hair dryer and follow with a Ballistol wipe on everything. If it's been shot a lot I'll remove the lock and flash hole liner for cleaning....A little anal I suppose but you can't be too careful with black powder.
Old December 29, 2019, 10:40 AM   #9
kozak6

Simple Green is non-toxic and seemingly effective.

Although, I'm not convinced a degreaser is necessary for this purpose.
Old January 2, 2020, 01:19 PM   #10
rsnell

Post #7 is correct. If anyone is interested, the reference is Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Paragraph 21.151 (27 CFR 21.151).
Old January 2, 2020, 01:44 PM   #11
rickyrick

Everclear.

I use denatured alcohol for some things, but everclear works well.
Gummy grease I use white gojo.
Old January 2, 2020, 01:49 PM   #12
Pahoo

Even some water can be toxic !!!

JJ45
I'm not sure about your application/locations but I'll take a stab at it. …..

Ballistol; 50/50 with mineral spirits. Mostly outdoors. (hate the smell)
Mineral Spirits; General gleaning and degreaser.
Denatures alcohol; Swapping bores on initial loading. (love the smell)
Break Cleaner in spray can; Only Outdoors on parts cleaning. Protect hands.

Anything short of water can be toxic. We do our best and say our prayers. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old January 2, 2020, 07:32 PM   #13
rickyrick

I like mineral spirits, but I wasn’t sure of the safety of it so I didn’t mention it. I keep several cans of mineral spirits around too. I have other hobbies that I spend more time with than guns.