The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 22, 2019, 01:47 PM   #1
caligula

Fsn number on the dros form

Can anyone here shed some light on what this designation is or what it means?
Old December 22, 2019, 02:23 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

We need some further context, please.

When I was in the Army, FSN was Federal Stock Number
and DROS was your Date of Rotation from overseas deployment back to the States...

Pretty sure those are what applies to what you're asking, but without a background context its tough to know...
Old December 22, 2019, 03:56 PM   #3
caligula

Fsc number on dros form

The context is the standard DROS form needed to purchase a firearm. At the bottom of the personal data section and just above the legal history questions is a block that labeled, "FSC Number". A seven digit number is entered here on the final version of the form. I would like to know the meaning of this number.
Old December 22, 2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Sharkbite

DROS is Dealer Record of Sale.

Im guessing the OP lives in Calif. That form is filled out at the time of sale
Old December 22, 2019, 04:22 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Google, man, google.
https://fcs.doj.ca.gov/login.do
Old December 22, 2019, 04:24 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Not being in CA, I don't know their forms, but seems to me the easiest way to find out what that number is for is to ask the people who fill it in.

If its your dealer, they should be able to tell you what its for, or at least where they get it from.

Obviously its some kind of tracking ID# and specific to your location.

There's probably someone on the forum that knows, when they find this thread, you'll have an answer. Might as well ask the dealer, though. Can't see where that would hurt. Might even get you what you're looking for.

Good Luck
Old December 22, 2019, 05:39 PM   #7
caligula

Fsc dros number

Mr. Watson had the correct path and I am aglow with the light of truth! I had googled, "FSC ON DROS FORM" and got an education in the Federal Stock Numbr classifications. Jim's link was for "FSC" and that got me a lot of info about the Federal Safety Class data base. AND a quick check revealed that the number in this block of my DROS that I filled out in CALIFORNIA is the ID number on the mickey mouse safety class card I paid $25.00 for in CA. Mystery solved. YES! I did mistakenly start this thread with FSN! Thanks, guys for the help.

Last edited by caligula; December 22, 2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old December 25, 2019, 03:44 PM   #8
JDBerg

I have a Firearms Safety Certificate I paid $25 and passed the test earlier this year but I haven’t bought a darn roster gun with it.