The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 21, 2001, 09:47 PM   #1
BrianF-Jax

I know I've asked this before, but I can't find the answer now! Spent a while searching the archives... (Really!)

What is the weird littling rattling noise than can sometimes be heard when I tilt my 870 front to back? Sounds kind of like something hard slowly sliding around.

How do I fix it? I took the butt off the stock and see a big flathead screw, its *really* tight, do I need to take this off to get to the problem? Anyone?

Thanks in advance, sorry for asking twice!

-Brian
Old February 21, 2001, 11:56 PM   #2
DML

Is your the black plastic stock? If it is, you probably have a washer loose inside, but if I understand what you are saying, you removed the recoil pad. Did you shake it to see of anything falls out?

Are you sure the noise is in the butt stock? A little more info about which model 870 you have might help.
Old February 22, 2001, 12:02 AM   #3
BrianF-Jax

Yep, its an 870 express, black plastic hardware.

Maybe a washer came out and I didn't notice..

Just checked.. noise is still there.. took out the magazine spring/follower.. wasn't that.

It definately sounds like a washer running up and down a rod/bolt or something.

That seems to be what I remember it the problem being in the other post...
Old February 22, 2001, 01:29 AM   #4
DML

OK. You are going to have to remove the buttstock. There is plenty of room in the channel that the stock bolt goes through for a loose washer to float around in.

Depending on the size of the moose who installed your buttstock at the factory, it may take quite a bit of force to loosen the bolt. If you have a vise, clamp the receiver on a solid area between some sort of padding and remove the butt pad. Get a big BIG screwdriver, make sure the blade fits the slot in the bolt and remove the bolt and buttstock. Be careful that you don't slip. It is possible to crack the side of the stock. If you can get someone to help you hold things steady that would be better.
If you are lucky, the screw won't be that tight.