The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 5, 2017, 09:30 AM   #1
TXAZ

Storing 9mm magazines vertically: I need a cheap space saver

I need to find a better way to store 9mm magazines in the safe. Layed on a shelf they take a lot of space. Benchmaster makes a holder for 12 but it’s $25. Seems like there ought to be a very inexpensive way to store them using an ammo holder where each cell was wide enough and deep enough to hold 1 magazine vertically.
Any ideas? A link to the benchmaster product follows.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/benchm...magazines.html

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 5, 2017, 12:00 PM   #2
10-96

Would there be a means of affixing magnetic strips on the underside of a shelf or top?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 5, 2017, 01:29 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Any holder will take up more space than a pile of empty mags.
I'd guess you could get a block of pillow foam in a discount fabric shop for less than $25. Takes an Exacto knife or the like to cut.
Old November 5, 2017, 02:45 PM   #4
ShootistPRS

If the magazines are steel you can use any strip magnet to hold the magazines on or under a shelf.
If they are plastic yo can use a coil spring to hold them as long as the coils are far enough apart and still have enough tension to hold them. Beyond those two you will have to find a material, like Styrofoam to melt or cut pockets in.
Old November 5, 2017, 03:30 PM   #5
TXAZ

10-96 had a really inspirational idea when he noted:
Quote:
Would there be a means of affixing magnetic strips on the underside of a shelf or top?
NO! But you gave me a great idea I just built at no out of pocket cost using:

2 Harbor Freight 18 in. Magnetic Tool Holder (both free from one of their flyers)
2 L-brackets found in the hardware drawer
1 piece of scrap plywood 20" x 4" x 1/4"
A little red paint

Took about an hour to put together

Thanks everyone for the ideas but especially thanks 10-96!!

Last edited by TXAZ; November 5, 2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old November 6, 2017, 08:41 AM   #6
MagnumWill

Hey, that’s great! I think I may mount one of those vertically in my safe.
Old November 6, 2017, 08:46 AM   #7
TXAZ

I just noticed if I turn the magazines 90 degrees I can get about 30 on there total.

Old November 6, 2017, 09:16 AM   #8
FITASC

And one of momma's old Tupperware containers wouldn't work because????????
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 6, 2017, 10:11 AM   #9
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
And one of momma's old Tupperware containers wouldn't work because????????
Because it won’t hold enough in the space as constrained.

And what I built exactly fits on the safe shelf front to back.

Old November 6, 2017, 12:29 PM   #10
Sevens

As space has become a premium in my safe... things that are not my beloved handguns have been assessed and re-assessed and relocated.

In my opinion, items like scads of pistol magazines need a fantastic home that is outside of prime, expensive, much needed gun safe. Thus, a locking cabinet or $179 "gun locker" or small chest safe or locking file cabinet or many many other options that are not my 900-pound safe bolted to the floor whose purpose is to house my handguns.
Old November 6, 2017, 01:12 PM   #11
FITASC

Ammo locked inside a safe during a dire can also become a potential bomb, same for storing ammo in those GI cans vs their plastic Plano counterparts
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 6, 2017, 02:47 PM   #12
fredvon4

When I started accumulating enough firearms to be concerned about safe security I also was just starting into reloading as well as ammo accumulation

I am lucky with a small compound ( euphemistically referred to as the micro ranch) that has 5 out building two are climate controlled.

I decided to store firearms in a good safe secured to the concrete slab floor in my main house.......and all ammo and components in a good fire container in one of the out buildings

we are rural and I wanted to be able to ask volunteer fire fighters to save my house NO haz mat or explosives.... or ....stay the hell away from THAT SHED it IS gonna blow, let it burn!

I even printed, weather proofed, and posted the explosives placard on the ammo reloading shed

The only firearms on my property WITH ammo are all the HD and CC that are out of safe and ready for defense