The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 25, 2005, 12:40 PM   #1
BillyKId

Giving back guns in California????

Just saw in Fox news.
Some California residents are giving back their guns to sheriffs in exchange for 100 dollar gift certificates. The picture showed quite a lot of rifles being given.
Unless they find that 100 dollars is more than their gun is worth, why would you do that. I couldn't get a clean picture, but some were revolvers and other firearms that were clearly worth more than 100. ARE THEY CRAZY? Give it to me. I'll feed them nice ammo and treat them well

Can you say : Officer, please take my civil liberties?

It sounded as if it was criminal to have guns, like when the Iraqis had to give everything except a single AK.
Old December 25, 2005, 12:47 PM   #2
Bud Helms
Moderator Emeritus

'Sounds like time to load up on some $40-60 Jennings/Bryco .22s and go get some ammo money. 'Not a bad profit margin.
Old December 25, 2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Staff

Just saw that on CNN. When they panned the guns, there was a WWII era Thompson SMG!!!! AAARRRGH!!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 25, 2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Majic

Whether or not you believe or understand it some people just don't want guns. They may have gotten the unwanted gun by whatever reason and saw a way to easily get rid of it and get something in the process.
It only sounds criminal because that's how you choose to hear it. You have the right to giveaway anything you own.
Old December 25, 2005, 12:55 PM   #5
BillyKId

I bet the sheriff and deputies are having a nice christmas. Forget Santa, get people to drop you nice little presents.

If you take into account that, ok. But it sound as if getting rid of guns was wrong. It's ok if you want to do it, part of your rights just like owning guns. I'm saying the way CNN and fox put it was they made it seem criminal.
You might be right and it might be my perception, but if you have a gun and wanted to sell it, why not go to a pawn shop? Unless you got it on under the christmas tree.
Old December 25, 2005, 01:18 PM   #6
Weeg

*sigh*

Kalifornistan

Old December 25, 2005, 01:24 PM   #7
TimRB

No one (I hope) would argue that people don't have the right to give their guns to the police if they want to, and, as has been pointed out, it may even be a good idea for some non-shooters who somehow end up with a gun through inheritance or other unusual circumstance.

My objection to these gun "buyback" programs is that they are *always* reported as anti-gun pieces in the news. Anyone care to guess whether Fox, or especially CNN, mentioned how the police got guns "off the streets" from this noble effort?

Tim
Old December 25, 2005, 01:41 PM   #8
Marko Kloos

How can you give guns "back" to someone who never owned them in the first place?

the munchkin wrangler.
Old December 25, 2005, 04:31 PM   #9
BillyKId

What you must consider is that the police is making an effort to take away guns. That is, they are actively seeking to disarm people. If the cops are asking for guns, some people might fear that there can be a retribution from the police department if they didn't do it. How can people's rights be protected if the sheriff is trying to aquire their firearms.

This is a stupidity on part of the sheriff's department. How many times have we seen gun owners defending themselves when no cop is around? How many times have we seen that gun owners scare, not all, but some of the criminals from commiting a crime?
Old December 25, 2005, 05:52 PM   #10
Biss

General gun buy back question here

First off Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah folks.

I have heard that these gun buy back programs are basicaly NO QUESTIONS ASKED. :barf: Can anyone conform if that is true. I hope not. If so what a great way for gang bangers to ditch weapons and get paid. Again, I just "heard" this.
Old December 25, 2005, 05:52 PM   #11
roy reali

California Safety

But we are safe from crime here in California.

Don't you realize how safe all our gun regulations and bans have made us?

San Francisco has really become a beacon of public safety. You can walk around downtown with wads of cash hanging out of your pocket without concern. Doors can be left wide-opened at night to let that fresh Pacific air in at night without fears.

You all think that or laws are not working? Huh!
Old December 25, 2005, 08:46 PM   #12
Urkslaven

California City Swaps Gifts for Guns

I read this and have to laugh.....

~Urkslaven~

California City Swaps Gifts for Guns

By SANDY COHEN

COMPTON, Calif. (AP) - ``Big Daddy'' Willis came to Compton to turn an illegal homemade pistol into Christmas dinner. Charlene Watt planned to turn three shotguns into a plasma TV.

The two were among dozens of gun-toting residents who converged on a shopping center parking lot Saturday to anonymously swap firearms for gift certificates as part of a program aimed at reducing violence in this crime-plagued city.

Each was rewarded with a $100 gift card for Circuit City or the Ralphs supermarket chain, the program's co-sponsors.

In a line that snaked across a parking lot, participants from across Los Angeles County carried guns in cardboard boxes, plastic grocery bags and fancy leather cases.

``Hopefully and prayerfully this will cut down on the shootings,'' said Compton resident Ruther Daniels, 44, who turned in a .22-caliber handgun.

Authorities created the program after a sharp spike in Compton's crime rate this year. Sixty-eight homicides have been recorded so far in 2005, up from 39 in 2004, according to sheriff's Capt. Eric Hamilton.

Over three consecutive Saturdays, sheriff's deputies amassed more than 250 firearms, including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol.

``The only reason you'd have these guns is to shoot at people,'' said sheriff's Deputy A.J. Rotella, who came up with the Gifts for Guns concept.

All will undergo ballistics checks to determine if they were used in crimes before being melted down at the sheriff's annual ``gun dump.''

Authorities said the gun exchange might become an annual program. It was funded by the city of Compton, Circuit City, Ralphs and the Sheriff's Department through its sale of assets seized in drug cases.
Old December 26, 2005, 12:34 AM   #13
Avizpls

All will undergo ballistics checks to determine if they were used in crimes before being melted down at the sheriff's annual ``gun dump.''

So if this is anonymous, whats the point?
Old December 26, 2005, 12:59 AM   #14
jefnvk

Quote:
``Hopefully and prayerfully this will cut down on the shootings,'' said Compton resident Ruther Daniels, 44, who turned in a .22-caliber handgun.
Well, unless, of course, he was shooting at people with his gun, I don't think that him turning in his gun will do any good.
Old December 26, 2005, 02:03 AM   #15
BillCA

ATTENTION LAWYERS

Anyone care to find for me the exemption for municipalities in the CA state statutes for transferring firearms? Last I recall, CA law requires an FFL to broker ANY transfer of ownership of firearms (specifically handguns) within California. This requires a NON-ANONYMOUS transfer, stating the "seller's" ID info along with the buyer.

Extra points if you know of any exemption in FEDERAL law that allows CA municipalities to purchase firearms without an FFL if any of the firearms are redirected to "public use" -- such as training aids or workable firearms for officers to use.

Besides that, there are several things in this story that deserve criticism;

Quote:
Let's see... if I and my fellow citizens turn in our .22's that have been collecting dust in sock drawers, this will reduce shootings ..how exactly? The logic here baffles me. This is sort of like saying if I remove the tires from my car it'll cut down on the number of speeders on the freeway.

And here we have an example of accuracy (and non-bias) in "journalism".

Quote:
...including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol.
Someone - ANYONE - in the LA/Compton area contact Sandy Cohen and let her know that "semiautomatic machine gun" is like saying "Dial-up Broadband" or "propeller-driven jetliner".

Quote:
``The only reason you'd have these guns is to shoot at people,'' said sheriff's Deputy A.J. Rotella...
Which is a primary function of most handguns - personal defensive protection. D'uh!

Quote:
Certainly. Except for the reallllly nice pieces that someone turns in that somehow end up in an officer's private collection.
Old December 26, 2005, 02:25 AM   #16
Casp_A

Old December 26, 2005, 04:16 AM   #17
kozak6

These "buy-back" programs always make me laugh. It seems like it would be pretty easy to make a profit, and it's a damn good way to ditch a crime gun since it's no questions asked.

It also sounds like a good opportunity to whip up a bunch of slam-bangs, number them randomly between 20-300 just to make them sweat, and make a nice wad of cash.
Old December 26, 2005, 05:57 AM   #18
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko Kloos
How can you give guns "back" to someone who never owned them in the first place?
Scary thought. "Giving back the guns"... that's the way they want us to think.
Old December 26, 2005, 08:08 AM   #19
Chris Cullen

Been there. Done that. Welcome to Australia.

We've had two National buy-backs. The difference with ours was we were forced to give the firearms back, or face a chain of weapons offences if they were not surrendered.
The government placed a choke hold on us and all our firearms are on "virtual loan" from the government. Yes we own them, but they can take them away whenever they want.

Unfortunately, firearms are not included in our constitutional rights.

Chris Cullen
Old December 26, 2005, 08:49 AM   #20
Glock 31

Whether it is no questions asked or not is a mute point. On one hand, if it is malicious in nature. And the sherrif's dept. is looking to document local gun owners for future searches and seizures without having to apply for the information through the federal systems, you may not want to give your gun away. I've heard of guns for toys programs in New York and stuff but it was mainly directed at gang members. Whether or not it was successful is unknown to me. I agree it is a good way to dump a crime gun if it's no questions asked.

On the other hand, if you are just looking to unload a gun you didn't want, go to a pawn shop and get more for it. I would say that 90 percent of all firearms are worth more than a hundred dollars. Depending on some variables, you should get more than that for most rifles. My friend gave me an old side by side double barrel shotgun with breakapart action that looked to be a few hundred years old in the condition it was in. He gave it to me to sweeten a previous deal I had with him and he couldn't find anyone to buy it since it's stock was all cracked. I gave it to a pawn shop for them to put up on auction. They kept 15% of the take and I walked away with $450.00 profit. There are better ways than what they are doing in California to get rid of guns. I can't help but get the image in my head from Indiana Jones and The Holy Grail where the nazis are burning the books. I know it's a far cry from a simple gun turn-in but still.

Quote:
"...including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol."

"Someone - ANYONE - in the LA/Compton area contact Sandy Cohen and let her know that "semiautomatic machine gun" is like saying "Dial-up Broadband" or "propeller-driven jetliner"."
Who said you had to have brains to be a Californian journalist?

BillCA, The federal statute probably doesn't apply since the guns will be melted down rather than put back into public use.
Old December 26, 2005, 09:51 AM   #21
WhyteP38

Is anyone else bothered by how this event has been described as a "give back"? As if to say, the guns were given BACK to the authorities? As if the authorities, not our Constitutional rights, allow us to have guns in the first place? As if our rights come from elected and non-elected government officials rather than from our Creator?

More accurately, it is a gun GIVE UP or SURRENDER or SELL OUT, not a GIVE BACK.
Old December 26, 2005, 02:08 PM   #22
USP45usp

Not to sound bad or get flamed but:

If these idiots "think" that it will help and if they are stupid enough to disarm themselves, then more power to them.

When they buy that whatever at circut city and it gets stolen, or they are killed for their new found electronics, then so be it.

It's their choice to be this stupid and whatever may become of them for doing so, it's their choice. Yes, they are chosing to become victims as well as giving up their freedoms/Rights. Let them.

When I read in the papers the high crime rates of LA and in CA in general, I don't even have a second thought about "the poor soul" that was beaten or killed. Why, because they have chosen the path that they wish and I can't and won't have any pity for them.

Harsh, critical, uncompassionate. It may be. But as I chose to be armed they have the choice as American's to be disarmed if they wish.

Life is all about choices. Unless it's forced upon you (and then you STILL have a choice), it's up to the individual what they feel is right for them. But I will say this, if they chose to be disarmed then I hope they know that I will not have any pity for them when something happens. They made their choice, I've made mine and my being armed is more important than a $100 certificate that enables me to purchase something that most likely will be stolen because now I have no means to protect it or myself.

As for the Thompson, are you sure it was an original or the knock-off semi-auto version? Either way, it's a shame that someone would be that stupid, but I've found that stupid seems to be the way of most American's in this day and age.

As for circut city, never liked them, never will, so I wasn't one that ever gave to their bottom line in order to do this.

Wayne

*if the above post is not TFL material, too callaus, or insensitive, please delete or modify, it's fine with me. Just saying it as I see it and how I feel.
Old December 26, 2005, 10:32 PM   #23
browserealty

My grandfather did the same thing..

Hello, as some of you may have read my post, my grandfather is giving me a shotgun, rifle, and three handguns. He lives in California, and he took one of his guns (never fired, fully automatic 9mm with folding stock) to one of those buy back programs. I believe ten years ago he paid near $1000.00 for it and sold it for $100.00 to the buy back program in Sacramento.

He wizened up and decided to give the guns to me instead of selling them back to the government. I personally would not flush a gun to the government for a measly $100.00

Take care...
Old December 26, 2005, 10:42 PM   #24
accordingtome

WAIT>. hahaa you guys have it all wrong.. Most if not all of these guns are hot.. or in street terms have "heads" on them.. I can go buy a shotty for $50.00 down the street with a few heads on it no prob.. If some crack head has the choice between robbing someone with his gun or giveing it to the LEOs for cash with no questions asked he is gonna give up the gun.. then go buy some crack. Thats why they put NO QUESTIONS ASKED in big letters all over when you turn them in. I will bet 90% if not all of these guns have been used in a crime. This is just a nice way of getting some cash for it. a buddy of a buddy on mine took three pistols and two beat up shottys and traded them in.. all HOT. He just got out of prison and wanted to go straight. He had them in his garage. He can either sell them on the street or trade for cash.. I would rather have him trade those in.
Old December 27, 2005, 12:34 AM   #25
tully_mars

To me this is LE sponsored crime. Since most of the guns are illegal then once bought back the previous owners will have to go steal another one. Thus, be looking for a string of gun thefts from break-ins soon after the buy back.

Someone has to fill the market demand for black market arms. Seems the LE's are also helping some of those guys trade-up to something better!

Tully Mars