The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 25, 2011, 10:33 AM   #1
rkammer

CWP fingerprints on file

I live in Florida and have been informed by a friend who is an attorney that my fingerprints that are on file with the State when I obtained my CWP many years ago can be accessed by anyone wishing to do so.

I could understand that law enforcement might have the right to do that but, would anyone else also be able to do it?
Old March 26, 2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

What are your concerns regarding your finger prints?

I have finger prints on file from:

when I joined the military,
from when I received my security clearance, and updated it (x3),
from when I applied for a job with the State of Missouri (I was working with kids and then the mentally handicapped) (x3),
from when I applied for my first pistol in Rhode Island and Missouri,
From a few arrest when I was a minor.

There are probably a few other finger prints out there I have forgotten about.

Different government agencies could request the print cards and I do believe most of them have been recorded in national data bases. But just accessing the finger prints does not allow anyone to do anything with them unless they have something to match them against.

(I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am just trying to understand your concern.)
Old March 26, 2011, 08:13 AM   #3
rkammer

Fair question - I also have had prints done numerous times over the years. Air Force enlistment, security clearance, NASA employment, Carry Permit, etc.

My concern isn't whether a gov't agency or law enforcement can access them, it's whether a private individual can access them and perhaps use them for less than legal purposes. It doesn't seem likely that that could happen but, I was curious to know for sure.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Caveat: I am not a Florida lawyer, nor even a resident of Florida. Accordingly, my knowledge of Florida law is limited.

With that out of the way, I would agree that government agencies could access them, particularly law enforcement agencies. However, I'd be fairly surprised if "anyone wishing to do so" could access your fingerprints. If you want to test it, see if your attorney friend can get a set of your prints. If there's anyone who can figure out the regulations and jump through all the proper hoops, it ought to be an attorney, or a criminal.
Old March 26, 2011, 10:36 AM   #5
CWKahrFan

"My concern isn't whether a gov't agency or law enforcement can access them, it's whether a private individual can access them and perhaps use them for less than legal purposes."

I haven't put A LOT of brainpower into thinking about this but I'm kinda curious as to what your concerns are... What could anyone actually DO with my fingerprints that would be problematic for me? What's the perceived threat?
Old March 26, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6
4runnerman

I don't think i would worry about it at all.If you want to worry then just think
DL #
Social Sec #
PIN #
Those will cause you twice as much headache as finger prints.
Old March 26, 2011, 11:32 AM   #7
m.p.driver

I wouldn't worry about everyday individuals accessing them,they'd have to have the ability to go into federal government and local law enforcement data bases.A friend years ago in the army was worried when they started taking blood samples for dna identification storage,in the event that they'd have to identify your remains. I told him that they had taken our blood from day one and would be surprised that it wasn't already on file.
Old March 26, 2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Fingerprint theft doesn't really seem to be sweeping the nation right now.

I'd be more worried about my CCW license being public record than my fingerprints being available.
Old March 26, 2011, 07:36 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

What could anyone do with your fingerprint files? Create fake fingerprints (yours), and plant them as crime scene evidence? That seems like the only thing to me, and I seriously doubt that anyone beyond a TV show lab or some super secret govt agency would be able to do it.

And if they could, you couldn't do anything about it anyway!
Old March 27, 2011, 12:39 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Like Uncle Buck, I have fingerprints on file from:

Stupid choice I made as a juvenile.
FBI background check for bonded employment.
Military enlistment application process. (4 separate sets of prints taken)
Security clearance (and updates) - x3.
Non-disclosure agreements (including physical property - hence the fingerprints) - x4.

In addition, I have DNA on file with 3 different government agencies, and one private company.

Even if some one can access it, current technology makes it extremely difficult for all but a sophisticated lab to do anything with it. I'm not worried.