The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 22, 2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Casimer

A good baseball cap?

Who makes a good baseball cap for shooting?

The best I've found is the promotional cap that used to be sold by Lee Precision - their low profile twill 6 panel baseball cap. But these have apparently been discontinued.

The nice thing about these is that the brim has a deep contour so that it meets the edge of your shooting glasses and provides protection from incoming cases, as well as blocking light effectively. Also the there's nothing in the structure of the cap that causes discomfort when wearing muffs. They're a good alternative to the goofy competition hats that have blinders attached to them.
Old November 22, 2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Beowulf5505

I wear this one

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...=548&CatID=953

its flex fit, very comfortable, looks cool. I wear it pretty much all over the place and always when shooting.
Old November 23, 2010, 11:59 AM   #3
nathaniel

I have a coyote tan hat from under armour that I wear all the time. Its stylish but functional, but they dont make them anymore. Id go with the one Beowulf suggested its just about the same thing as mine just without the big flag on the front.
Old November 23, 2010, 01:17 PM   #4
twhidd

I shoot in an old Carhartt cap. It's soft cotton and pretty faded, but it serves it's purpose.
Old November 24, 2010, 01:44 AM   #5
bassfishindoc

I shoot with a $10 walmart cammo Remington cap. In shape it is almost exactly like the LEE hat. It's brim is curved to block the sun and brass, it looks good on me, and is comfortable. Plus for $10 is can't be beat, especially since I have been wearing it since 2003!
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old November 24, 2010, 02:35 AM   #6
hknut

I saw this killer hat in Las Vegas while I was viviting. It was a tan hat with velco panels on it with 2 slash pockets on the sides that held earplugs that wear shock corded to the hat. i asked the guy where he got it but he didn't remember.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old November 27, 2010, 09:42 PM   #7
shanzlik

I like the ones without the raisedbump thing on top. They're more comfortable with ear muffs. The two I use the most are promo hats I got with purchases from Geisselle triggers and LaRue Tactical.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:12 PM   #8
ENC

The only hat I wear are the waxed cotton browning hats. You can get them online like midway or in person at Academy. There are three or four different colors. They are shaped perfectly. They have a velcro adjustable back because I hate those metal buckles. They are virtually waterproof and they last for quite a while. I wear a hat every day of my life and work construction indoor and outdoors and two hats will get me about a year. There is nothing physically wrong with them then, but my wife condemns them as disgusting and throws them away.

Evan
Old November 27, 2010, 11:22 PM   #9
NWPilgrim

My favorite is the one Bravo Company sent free with the upper I purchased (photo from their website).

"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 27, 2010, 11:29 PM   #10
JBial

I wear a Sig Sauer baseball cap with built in ear plugs. Got it when I visited the company store in NH.