The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 14, 1999, 06:47 PM   #1
Kodiac

Rich. I been a member here for some time.
I am in the interent business - so I know the money involved.

TFL asks for no money from it's members.
TFL has no advertisers.
Keeping a web page running is spendy. Keeping a big site like TFL is very spendy.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO IT?
I am told you pay for this out of your own pocket. Rich... Blade Forums - your sister site - does a little advertising - probably just enough to maintain operating costs.
You should consider it. A small banner ad - tastfully done would not be annoying - possibly helpful, and could easy your costs.
Why have you not done this? I am certain there are many gun companies that would love to have a banner here because of the quality members here!

For the Children...
Old July 14, 1999, 11:24 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks for the concern, Kodiac. Fact is, we're on BladeForums' server...they give us a great deal. Plus, our staff has waived their first decade of wages . This helps even more.

There are a couple of reasons why we don't advertise. The main one is that it frees us from ever having a conflict about what or who posts (or is banned) from TFL.

The biggest resource drain is on our time. For the most part it's a labor of love. Every now and then, however, the hours spent monitoring the Board get to one or another of us. When that hits the breaking point, we'll probably pass the site along to a suitable heir, who may or may not wish to advertise.

In the meantime, we're just having too much fun! Seriously, this site has renewed my faith in America....and we're all proud to have the opportunity to interact with you guys.
Rich
Old July 15, 1999, 12:03 PM   #3
Cheapo

Just let the commercial posters stick a .gif ad or something in a few of their posts each month, for a small fee. Keep classifieds free, until/unless they start to dominate and run up the costs.

Those little pop-up separate windows that appear every time you change to a new browser window are *most annoying*. You and your heirs should avoid them like the plague.

I agree with you, Rich. This site has restored some of my faith, too!

Cheapo the grateful.
Old July 15, 1999, 06:10 PM   #4
Kodiac

Creating The Best Web Site on the net for Gun People... Rich should be rewarded.
Or being that Rich is a humble fellow - The money could go to the Pro Gun Org of his choice... You have how many members now? 2000?

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old July 16, 1999, 05:50 AM   #5
boing

I despise the pop-up window ads, too. But less invasive ads to support the board? No problem at all.

Rich: I've heard, from unmentionable sources (that'd be Rob), that you likely wouldn't take donations to help with the cost of running TFL. Is that true? What are you, noble or something? A little martyr complex going on, maybe?

Faith in America? I didn't even know what that was until I met these people.

-boing