The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 25, 2011, 10:32 PM   #26
Hardy

I think you are right Hawg. Maybe that is why I hven't done it. You can't put it on the shelf. Now, I ordered some trip73f that seems to be the hot product. But I've never had problems w/ pyrodex. We'll see how trip 7 does. It is more expensive. Thank you.

WBH
Old June 25, 2011, 10:48 PM   #27
Hardy

And Hawg you're right-most people don't know this. So here is the low down. You have to apply w/fee/ for a small explosive licence---then have a vault and have it stocked. The ATF comes in-checks your credentials--checks your vault and room then gives you permission or not. When you sell it , forms have to be filled out and sent to GOV. We have done everything to keep away from FFL /ATF to sel black powder guns/ammo/supplies without the red tape. ima just brainstorming on this BP issue. I can get an ffl but don't want to go thru the hassels. SO far the conversion cylinders are great--maybe wont be legal for long--buy them why you can but they are expensive. And a final note to all this substitute discussions --pyrodex 3f always stood the test of time. It has graphite in it so remember some lubricant may foul caps if you don't store your loaded gun at an angle w/barrel pointed downward.
WBH
Old June 25, 2011, 11:03 PM   #28
Sarge

There are things I don't like (crusty residue by about the 3rd day after firing) with 777, but I have not found it lacking in either performance or accuracy. My old .54 loves the stuff and gives quick, 100% ignition with #11 cap.
Old June 26, 2011, 08:33 AM   #29
Hawg

Sarge, that rear sight is correct for a Gemmer Hawken.
Old June 30, 2011, 12:32 AM   #30
HisSoldier

What is considered the bad things about Pioneer? I've been using it a long time with no complaints.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old June 30, 2011, 07:51 AM   #31
Sarge

Thank you for the sight information, Hawg.
Old June 30, 2011, 09:08 AM   #32
roberto mervicini

I am a cartridge guy, however 5 yrs a go I acquire muzzle loaders ( Rem 700 ML and CVA Optima all using 209 s.shell primers on line ) to benefit of longer hunting season, also some area only allowed M.L or s.gun.
At start I use Pyrodex pellets 2-50 gr with 300 gr. hornady or T/C hallow points 45 cal with plastic sleeve to fit the 50 cal bore.
Good results on target and every deer either drop dead on the spot or within 30 yds, but found them very dirty, lot residual and long to clean.
Change to Triple7 pellets also 2-50 gr. equally good results an paper and on game, maybe same or little less residual with the difference that clean much faster.
Since I always clean the rifles the same day I use it at the range or as the hunting is over, I do not notice any corrosion signs.
_______
roberto
Old July 3, 2011, 06:06 PM   #33
Hardy

I like you McKeal.

Ok--it's gonna cost 600+/- for vault--got to order 50 pounds. Then wait on ATF inspector. The only thing that bothers me is that these regiment reanactors switch back and forth to a German powder and then you're stuck w/ Goex. Kinda like 2 years ago everyone wanted a brass reb gun--now they don't. I am not sure you can put an empty can up on shelf or advertise--but could be wrong. Also, for the little money, I gota fill out FED let me repeat FED forms. Jeez-------------

WBH

PS: Pyrodex has always been the most popular and economical of them all. Trip73f is expensive. But some swera by it. here we go again on who makes the best chili.