The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 28, 2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Gary Slider

SC Now Honors MN & NE. . . Ohio Changes. . . CoE and their Regulations

Update: Stand your ground wording was removed from the Ohio bill before being passed in the Legislature and I knew that and still put the words Stand Your Ground in the post. It should have been about placing the burden of disproving a self-defense claim on the prosecution.

South Carolina Law Enforcement (SLED) has added Minnesota and Nebraska to the list of state Permits it will honor. Both Minnesota and Nebraska already honored South Carolina. That brings to 25 the number of states South Carolina Honors. SLED’s Reciprocity Listing can be seen at: http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

The Ohio Legislature has overridden the Governor’s veto of HB-228. This bill adds Stand Your Ground language to Ohio Law. Also Preemption was updated and now has teeth to keep local authorities from passing a patch work of laws covering firearms and carrying them. The signage law was also tweaked. It will be late March before it goes into effect and late December 2019 before the Preemption part goes into effect. www.handgunlaw.us will add those changes to the Ohio page when they become effective. You can read the bill and see the changes by going to https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/leg...d=GA132-HB-228

The Corps of Engineers stated in a lawsuit two years ago they would make changes to settle a suit concerning carrying on their property. I have been watching for something concerning lawsuits and the CoE and their regulations on no guns on their properties. It looks like the CoE has decided not to really change anything but just tell District Commanders they can issue a letter to individuals giving them permission to carry on Corps property in their district. The Memorandum is dated May of 2018 and I have just found it. This was always in their regs but Handgunlaw.us had never heard of anyone being issued such a letter previously or even how to Apply/Ask for such a letter to carry on their property. I can’t find a form or anything other than a “Guidance Memorandum” sent out to all District Commanders. So read the Memorandum and find out who is your District Commander and contact them telling them you wish to apply for such permission. The Memorandum states the criteria for those wishing to carry on CoE property. It also states the Commander has Discretion! It will be interesting to see how they handle this especially if they get a lot of letters/applications/whatever asking for permission to carry on their property. (For my first rant of the year – “What really needs to happen is Federal Legislation to make carry on CoE property and all federal property the same as National Park Carry. That makes sense but then again when has the government had any sense!”) http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...oEProperty.pdf

www.handgunlaw.us will add the SC, NE, MN changes and the Corps of Engineer info late this evening or early tomorrow. Handgunlaw.us wants to wish everyone a Very Happy New Year!!!!
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; December 29, 2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old December 28, 2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Sheesh. I have licenses/permits from six states, and I still can't carry in South Carolina.