The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 29, 2019, 08:47 AM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It is, quite different in America.

While shooting someone running away in the back is generally not justified, or moral, there are specific circumstances where the recognizes it as justifiable, by POLICE officers but not for regular citizens.
There is no law that stipulates where a bullet is to impact or from what direction it must be fired to be considered justifiable.

"Running away" is a bit of a misnomer. It the person really trying to just get away or simply moving to a different position? Does their direction of travel put others into danger?
Old January 29, 2019, 02:31 PM   #27
manta49

Quote:
Shooting someone running away in the back...

It really does depend on the situation.

The following is not the situation described in the original post, but imagine a bad guy being chased by the police down a street with an average number of everyday folk around. The bad guy stops in a doorway, takes a couple shots then runs a ways down the street, stops in another doorway, takes a few shots...you get my point. The bad guy is endangering the public. As he's leaving one doorway, maybe headed for another doorway do you think the police should shoot or not?

Yep. Again this is not the scenario this thread is based on but I'm just pointing out (with a scenario that's not too absurd) that it really does depend on the specific situation being faced.
In the situation you describe yes, but as you say that is not what happened in this case.
Old January 29, 2019, 02:39 PM   #28
manta49

Quote:
"Running away" is a bit of a misnomer. It the person really trying to just get away or simply moving to a different position? Does their direction of travel put others into danger?
If you are ruining away, then you are ruining away. If you then take up a position to shoot, shooting back would be justified. Follow that logic then the police should shoot anyone running away, just in case.
Old January 29, 2019, 02:59 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Follow that logic then the police should shoot anyone running away, just in case.
I'm sure there are some people who think that the police should shoot fleeing suspects in the back. But that's not official policy, police are neither required nor encouraged to shoot people in the back. But, if they do, because they felt they had to, (and the evidence bears this out after investigation) they won't be prosecuted.
Old January 29, 2019, 03:28 PM   #30
849ACSO

At the end of the day, the matter of justification will not reside with whether he was "running away", or whether or not the gun was real, or whether or not he was developmentally challenged, or any one circumstance. It will, and SHOULD rest on one thing -

Would a REASONABLE PERSON, without the luxury of hindsight, have done the same thing in those circumstances knowing ONLY what the officer knew at the time he pulled the trigger?

Everyone tends to get hung up on one aspect of a situation, like "he was running away". Got to look past the tree to see the woods.................
Old January 29, 2019, 03:28 PM   #31
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A thief running away empty-handed, or with Suzie Soccermom's purse dangling from his hand, isn't much of a threat to anyone.

A mugger running away with a handgun in his hand is an immediate threat to anyone within range of the handgun. I believe most reasonable people would view a police officer as being justified in shooting a thief with a gun in his hand. If it subsequently turns out that the gun was a realistic-looking replica/toy/airsoft ... well, as the saying goes, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
Old January 29, 2019, 04:03 PM   #32
manta49

Quote:
Would a REASONABLE PERSON, without the luxury of hindsight, have done the same thing in those circumstances knowing ONLY what the officer knew at the time he pulled the trigger?
I like to think i am a reasonable person, in the situation in the video i would not have shot there was no need to. But i assume there will be a investigation and others will decide, if it was justified or not. Who will investigates the officers actions. ?
Old January 29, 2019, 04:05 PM   #33
manta49

Quote:
A mugger running away with a handgun in his hand is an immediate threat to anyone within range of the handgun.
What does the law say in that type of situation. ?
Old January 29, 2019, 04:19 PM   #34
JERRYS.

Quote:
police officers are not held to the reasonable person standard, they are held to the reasonable police officer with the same experience and training standard.
Old January 29, 2019, 04:24 PM   #35
manta49

Quote:
Jaen is currently on paid leave pending an administrative and criminal investigation. Tempe police plan to submit their investigation to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office to determine whether any charges should be filed against Jaen.
I found this, police investigating police would not be allowed or seen as acceptable here.
Old January 29, 2019, 08:49 PM   #36
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49
I found this, police investigating police would not be allowed or seen as acceptable here.
Who investigates your police in cases possibly involving excessive use of force?
Old January 29, 2019, 11:30 PM   #37
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
If you are ruining away, then you are ruining away.
Thus illustrating the Suzy Soccermom viewpoint. Was he running away, or was he headed for cover to begin shooting at the officer? IIRC in the vestcam video, the "victim" was about to reach the corner of a wall. The officer had a choice of stopping him then, or waiting until he (1) was at a disadvantage because an armed felony suspect now had cover, or (2) losing sight of an armed suspect running into an inhabited neighborhood where he might attempt a carjacking, shoot an innocent bystander he might believe posed a threat, or take hostages.

A lot to think about in a couple of seconds!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old January 30, 2019, 08:24 AM   #38
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
A lot to think about in a couple of seconds!
And still probably not even 1/10 of the information he had to process and think about in those few seconds.
Old January 30, 2019, 02:19 PM   #39
manta49

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49

Who investigates your police in cases possibly involving excessive use of force?
Here it would be investigated by a independent authority.

Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
https://www.policeombudsman.org/
Old January 30, 2019, 02:23 PM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

An independent investigation in all these cases is useful - just look at the recent Chicago disaster.