The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 2, 2017, 08:22 AM   #26
Stats Shooter

Quote:
My guess is that it's slightly under-gassed. I'll try cleaning out the entire system again and check everything to see if it's lined up right. Hunting season has started so my "firearm diddle time" is limited. After I had such good results with the PSA AR 47 upper I'm really disappointed that this 308 doesn't shoot better
I hear ya on hunting season, we don't start until mid November through ,January 31st.
But , a new rifle not cycling that was not home built should be sent back and fixed. No sense in you wasting time on it.....and if it is a DI gun, I don't think cleaning the gas system will matter.

But, if you are so inclined, you could put a light buffer and spring in it and heat up some handloads to see if that helps
Old October 2, 2017, 08:24 AM   #27
zukiphile

Quote:
But, if you are so inclined, you could put a light buffer and spring in it and heat up some handloads to see if that helps
That was my first reaction as well. Sounds like an opportunity.
Old October 2, 2017, 08:44 AM   #28
stagpanther

Yeah--I'll do some hand-loads to try it out--but I agree that a factory built upper should have no issues with factory ammo. My gut feeling is that using a mid-length non-adjustable gas system on a 18" powerful round barrel doesn't help matters--especially if the port is "downsized" to mitigate gas pressure. All my other 18" barrels are configured with rifle gas.
Old October 9, 2017, 10:33 PM   #29
Stats Shooter

Did someone say retro?

Not a PSA, but retro None the less.
It's a Colt LE 6920 OEM-1 (Fixed front "F" sight )
I had the double heat shield handguards , and stock on hand. Added the standard mil-spec Trigger guard, a spare stock I had, and ALG trigger.

Bought a used colt carry handle. And despite all the temptation, mark my words..She will NOT get mall ninja'd!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Note, I blacked out the LE 75xxx serial number on photo editor

[IMG][/IMG]
Old October 9, 2017, 11:31 PM   #30
stagpanther

Very nice MS! I ended up taking the scope off my " M14gery" and putting a simple red-dot on which co-witnesses with the front post sight perfectly. I also decided to whip up some hand-loads to see if that helps matters any. Rear iron simply won't work for my bad eyes unfortunately.

Here are some ballistic tip loads that I once shot a small one-holer through a savae axis; hope they shoot better than the factory stuff I've tried so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171010_003529_HDR.jpg (168.5 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; October 9, 2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:05 AM   #31
stagpanther

Continued wide dispersion of shots and failures to feed and eject. Average groups of about 5" at 100 yds. My prognosis--utter piece of junk to be avoided like the plague.

I will eventually strip the upper apart--but I'm willing to bet the mid-length gas system configuration is a big factor in the operational problems.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:34 AM   #32
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Continued wide dispersion of shots and failures to feed and eject. Average groups of about 5" at 100 yds. My prognosis--utter piece of junk to be avoided like the plague
If it we're a shooter, I would try and fix the feed issues. But there is likely no saving a gun shooting 5moa groups if you are using quality components to begin with. 3moa to less than 1 moa happens all the time....but my AK with wolf ammo will do 3 moa with open sights.

So salvage what you can, and perhaps try not using budget part's
Old October 13, 2017, 08:47 AM   #33
stagpanther

Quote:
So salvage what you can, and perhaps try not using budget part's
I knew it was a gamble going into it. You win a few--like I did with the 7.62 x 39 upper--but you lose a few as well.

My built entirely from scratch ARs have always been sub-MOA capable with the exception of two I made using clearance budget barrels from major manufacturers, and even those would at least consistently do 1.5 to 2.5 MOA at worst.
Old October 27, 2017, 04:45 PM   #34
mellow_c

Just on the basis of the title of this thread, I thought i'd provide a link to a pretty decent deal in case any of you might be interested.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-2...516447015.html