The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 5, 2012, 09:02 PM   #26
Jbar4Ranch

That apparent transition on each side is pretty odd alright...

I kind of vaguely remember reading about having the barrels cut off at the lug, drilled, and tapped for a replacement barrel... but I don't remember why.

SASS 47015
Old September 7, 2012, 04:01 PM   #27
g.willikers

Maybe it was used by the Reno gang during one of their Indiana train robberies.
Old September 7, 2012, 05:14 PM   #28
indy1919

ha ha more likely some guy on his way home from a Local bar, tried to shoot a rabbit with it, missed and said "Can not hit anything with this old piece of [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]" and threw it into the woods.
Old September 7, 2012, 05:51 PM   #29
Hawg

What kind of detector? I found this 92 Winchester made in 1907 with a White's 6000 Di/Pro SL.

Old September 7, 2012, 07:25 PM   #30
indy1919

That is beautiful HH.. That is Just aching for a rifle stock ... Can you read the caliber??

Per the detector, I do not know, I picked it up 30 years ago.. and got rid of it years ago..
Old September 7, 2012, 07:46 PM   #31
Hawg

32-20. I soaked it in kerosene for about three months and got it freed up but it's too far gone to try to do anything with.

Old September 7, 2012, 08:34 PM   #32
indy1919

WOW That is so cool you got it to move .... It is practically alive again..

I really like the dent in the feed tube...

How about where you found it and the details????
Old September 8, 2012, 12:05 AM   #33
Hawg

I had a lead on a little known Civil War skirmish. I was in deep woods with no sign of a house ever having been anywhere nearby. That was all I found except for a few fired rifle cartridges and shotgun shells. The rifle was empty, The dent in the feed tube came several years after I found it. I searched for the butt plate but never found it. I suppose a hunter could have kicked it up. My question has always been why empty, way out there in the middle of nowhere? I didn't find any fired cartridges. Nothing to explain it being there. I didn't find the skirmish site either. I always intended to go back but never got around to it.
Old September 8, 2012, 08:59 PM   #34
indy1919

Fantastic tale

moocho thanks for sharing... I did not know about the soaking in kerosene to remove rust, I have some bullet molds that could use some cleaning up..
Old September 9, 2012, 10:12 AM   #35
Hawg

Given enough time kerosene will soak thru just about anything metal. Once kero soaks thru a metal bucket it won't hold kero anymore but gas won't leak from it.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:49 PM   #36
Ben Towe

That's some neat stuff. I need to drag out the metal detector and do some looking at one of my farms in Kentucky. It was reportedly the site of a log fort of sorts during the Civil War that had cavalry stationed there. It is unclear whether it was Union or Confederate, due to location it could have been either or both, as we know Confederate Colonel John Hunt Morgan arrived in the county with a brigade August 29, 1862. There could be some interesting things to find, especially if I can determine the location of the fort.
Old September 10, 2012, 05:04 AM   #37
Hawg

Yes, there will be some good stuff there, especially if you can find their dump.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:32 PM   #38
Bill Carson

Mystery solved ??

The topic of the 'dug relic pistol' really caught my attention. I have been to the post looking at it many times. Like one of the other posts, I had the idea it might be a composite built conferderate piece. Especially the round barrel and early style latch, but the small 31 cal.? and 5 shot cylinder do not fit any known scenarios. Then this week, I was looking through my research material related to Conferderate revolvers and ran accross a photo of a 1849 Colt Pocket pistol with a Dragoon style barrel. It seems collectors have seen some of these but they are very rare. Apparently, Colt, either made these as a marketing test or unknown experimental piece. Another pausible reason, they were made as a short run for a specific company or military outfit. The photo and detailed explanation can be seen in 'James D. Julias', March 15 & 16, 2010 sessions 2 of 2 aution catalog, page #166. These are pretty neat looking and am thinking of making one.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:17 PM   #39
waffenman

Dug up guns

Hi there. We own and operate a smal museum here in Cody, Wyoming, called Cody Dug Up Gun Museum, and are always lookin for more relic guns and related items to add to our exhibits. We always welcome donations and also will purchase them as well. Check us out at www.codydugupgunmuseum.com Thanks!
Old November 18, 2012, 08:56 PM   #40
BerdanSS

Cool find

My uncle gave me a 3 band Enfield for Christmas when I was 13. It was found in (very) southern Indiana beneath the floor of his father in laws barn in a wooden box some time in the late 50s, when the barn was being torn down to build a new one. It had been cut down to Musketoon or artillery carbine length. It's still in pretty good shape save for a small chunk of the stock missing right behind the hammer. Working lock and somewhat working trigger. The crown, date and TOWER are still clearly visible on the lock. When it was found it had a mini ball loaded....which my uncle had a gunsmith pull and disposed of well before I received it.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:28 AM   #41
indy1919

BerdanSS.. That does sound nice, I like the family connection... Any chance of posting a photo or two,,, Not to be greedy here.. But any chance of it being shootable????
Old November 19, 2012, 08:59 PM   #42
BerdanSS

I'll try to get some pics up.....I wouldn't take $1000 dollars to shot it even once. The barrel seems quite thin to me. I've seen a LOT of original and reproduction Enfields...and it most definitely looks thin in places. Also the musket nipple is at best...hopeless Most if not all the rifling is gone...the outside is what is in good shape. Very minimal (if really any at all) pitting, and the whole thing has a very nice even brow patina.

Last edited by BerdanSS; November 19, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:41 PM   #43
BerdanSS

As promised...Sorry OP not meaning to hijack, and I don't understand the new photobucket format so apologies for the huge size of pics

note the curious marks on the stock, 7 short and one long evenly spaced hand cut hash marks

with the hammed locked at full cock. the lock reads 1862 TOWER.

you can see where the stock was "whittled off" and the barrel was cut off at a slight angle

Sadly, the stock and brass trigger guard had some kind of varnish applied to them long before I received the rifle. I had always though of trying to remove it with something mild, but was always scared to. Surprisingly, quite a bit of the bluing is still present on the underside of the barrel along with 89 B D a sideways 8 followed by P 166 and then an I right under the breech. The under side of the tang is stamped with what looks like 186 P All the lock parts are stamped with 13 someplace on them as well as the barrel. And there is a F.J directly under the nipple drum.

Last edited by BerdanSS; November 19, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:18 PM   #44
Doc Hoy

What a Beaut....

Quite nice, Berdan.

Good history as well.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:46 PM   #45
BerdanSS

Thanks Doc. This little feller sat on a gun rack right below a double barreled 410 in my great uncles basement since I was a corn nubbin more than once he caught me looking at it pining while we were playing pool together... what a Christmas that was when he came in carrying it
Old November 20, 2012, 03:42 PM   #46
indy1919

Thanks for showing Berdan.. That is better then I thought... On the outside it looks so clean.. Just wonderful.. Just a question is the stuff in the barrel easily removable.. Like dust or fibers.. Or is this rust / carosioln attached to the barrel???

Just from the photo, it looks like you could give quick clean and clean it out.. (photos can be so distorting at times)..
Old November 20, 2012, 05:24 PM   #47
BerdanSS

I noticed that after I posted the pics I took it all down, wiped all metal with dry lube. No there isn't any rust in the barrel...that was just dust and fuzz swabbed the bore with TC bore butter and it looks good and clean now. (haven't had it out of the safe for a while) The bore is really in pretty good condition for a 150 year old gun that was burred.