The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 9, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Rj1972

Mom runs off burglars

Ok so just to add tactics.
1. something to say about calling police (not that we don't love you because we do)
2. something to say about HAVING a gun.
3. something to say about dogs (although I do like dogs as part of the overall plan).

mom-runs-off-burglars
Old February 9, 2012, 05:23 PM   #2
markj

Moms can get real mean..
Old February 9, 2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Young.Gun.612

My favorite part is the last sentence. Mama don't mess around!
Old February 9, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4
playin' hookey

So was it a .22 or a BB gun?
Old February 9, 2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
"So I put the gun up and I'm going to shoot him. His back is to me and I realized I can't shoot a man in the back," she said
Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...#ixzz1lw8aqOu4

Why people have this mixed up notion that have the almost absolute best tactical advantage is an advantage that should not be used is beyond me. If she was willing to shoot him in the front, then she missed her opportunity to not shoot him in the back when he wasn't ready for it and didn't even know she was there.

So basically due to poor trigger control, she had a startle reflex discharge and it was enough of a warning shot to convince the bad guys to leave. So she gets credit for a one shot stop of 2 bad guys that she didn't even shoot.
Old February 9, 2012, 10:12 PM   #6
RamItOne

MarkJ - especially Texas Moms

God Bless Texas
Old February 9, 2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Gbro

Quote:
So was it a .22 or a BB gun?
Its in the story,
Quote:
"So I picked up a gun, and it was a BB gun, and I started to think we're in trouble."
But this mother was determined to protect her 10-year-old son. She found the rifle and went looking for the intruders in her home.
Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...#ixzz1lx44jmXF

Quote:
The burglars bolted from the house. After about 25 minutes of trying to call 911, deputies arrived to investigate a crime that this community is not used to seeing.
That's got to be an eye opener for that community! Gun sales will go up in the LGS.
And as for shooting in the back, what is she going to do if the BG catches on and walks toward her backwards?
Shoot Lady Shoot!

Last edited by Gbro; February 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old February 12, 2012, 11:57 PM   #8
BfloBill

Glad they got lucky on the good outcome, that community needs to address the issue with the 911 operators. Getting repeatedly cut off so they can transfer you is inexcusable, isn't having a standard emergency number supposed to eliminate issues like this?
Old February 13, 2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
isn't having a standard emergency number supposed to eliminate issues like this?
Yes, but it does not always work like that. In rural areas 911 often gets you a County dispatcher but the County dispatcher may not be over the town or village LE agency that is most appropriate for response to where the emergency is located. This is because not all of the 911 systems have been fully integegrated.
Old February 13, 2012, 09:42 AM   #10
hangglider

Where I live in the summer my township has no law enforcement office--it's "farmed out" to a sheriff and state police part time. The nearest one is over 30 miles away if they do not happen to have a cruiser in the area at the time. Having firearms is like having a good fence to maintain relations with your neighbors. I bet in the majority of cases like this one the perps are known to the family or friends of the family.

Still, other than the guys getting away without being busted (yet)--I see this as an optimal outcome event.
Old February 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #11
C0untZer0

The video also shows a BB gun and a .22 rifle. It seems as if she first picked up a BB gun, and then armed herself with her son's .22 rifle. The video shows .22 rounds on the floor.

Brings up another issue - the parents allowed their older son to keep a .22 rifle in his room just leaning up against the wall, with .22 rounds scattered around on the floor. I'm also guessing that the rifle was sitting around loaded since the mom doesn't say she loaded it, and it seems like she probably didn't know how to load it.

Last edited by C0untZer0; February 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old February 13, 2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Jeremiah/Az

All of my guns are always loaded, except for my clays guns which are in the truck. I don't have any kids around tho. I don't want to have to check to see if a gun is loaded or not when I might need it.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:31 AM   #13
C0untZer0

There was a younger kid in the house, so allowing their oldest son to keep a loaded .22 in his room leaning against the wall, was IMO, negligent parenting.
Old February 14, 2012, 08:39 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Brings up another issue - the parents allowed their older son to keep a .22 rifle in his room just leaning up against the wall, with .22 rounds scattered around on the floor. I'm also guessing that the rifle was sitting around loaded since the mom doesn't say she loaded it, and it seems like she probably didn't know how to load it.
Quote:
There was a younger kid in the house, so allowing their oldest son to keep a loaded .22 in his room leaning against the wall, was IMO, negligent parenting.
See, and I would have thought that the mother didn't load the .22 because it would be very dificult to load the .22 while holding the BB gun at the same time. The article/interview clearly state that she picked up the BB gun, but never says that she put it down, right?

While the article didn't say she loaded the .22, the rounds scattered on the floor may indicate she did. Spilled rounds are often the result of a hasty loading.

To claim negligent parenting because of an article that clearly does not account for all of the activities that transpired seems awfully presumptuous and premature.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:30 AM   #15
C0untZer0

^ The article also doesn't say she took the safety off !
Old February 14, 2012, 09:47 AM   #16
output

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0
I agree and disagree to a certain degree. We do not know which son the .22lr belonged to or where/how it was actually stored.

The woman was clearly still shaken up and distraught. When a person is involved in a shooting or confrontation such as this, memory loss is very common. Sometimes people are not able to remember exact details until the next day once they have completed a sleep cycle.

She might have left a lot of details out of the story by accident because all she remembered at the time was picking up the BB gun and then finding the .22lr and heading downstairs. While in reality the BB gun and .22lr were in two separate rooms of the house and she had to load the .22lr.

I am going to assume that the .22lr was not lying out openly next to the BB gun with .22lr ammunition scattered all over bedroom floor especially since the home owners do not seem to be firearm savvy. She seemed uncomfortable and awkward so I doubt she would have felt safe with a loaded gun laying around or sitting in a corner openly. I could be wrong though.

As for children and .22’s I vaguely remember reading a story in the news about a child in Texas who literally drove multiple assailants out of the home by firing his .22lr through his bedroom door and wounding at least one.
Old February 14, 2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Gbro

Quote:
I have to also agree on the "Negligent Parenting" claim.
Quote:
Her 17-year-old son had left for school and her husband for work. She was home with her 10-year-old son,
Here in MN, a child is anyone under 18 years old(is there a state that differs)? But I will concede that 90+ % of firearm owners with a 17 year old will allow that child access to a firearm and we think nothing of it until it is used in a criminal/negligent way.
Back when my children were young all my firearms were somewhat to fully accessible to any one of them at any time and I thought nothing of it other than stern warnings about never touching one.
Then one day while out of town at an EMS conference the Wife and I were eating dinner with another couple from a small rural community and during the meal they received the terrible news that one of their children was killed when another was handling a gun that was just as unsecured in their home as were my own!
My gun safes give enormous relief from this.
Old February 14, 2012, 12:46 PM   #18
GlockedNLoded32

heres more infor on the story I live 25 min north west of huffman, tx
http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=39710
GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old February 14, 2012, 01:08 PM   #19
C0untZer0

I'm guessing that she didn't disengage a safety. She had a jam after the first shot and apparantly didn't know how to clear it.

Also note to self "Stick with the German Shepherds, pass on ever getting a Mastiff."
Old February 14, 2012, 01:27 PM   #20
C0untZer0

According to the mom, they are going to arm themselves:

Quote:
“We don’t own guns,” she said. “That’s about to change.”
I am betting the youngest son learns how to shoot and purchases a firearm when he becomes an adult.

Anyone in touch with reality sees that all of the fancifal nonsense written by anti-gunners is completely false. Being attacked, or experiencing a break-in, will have the effect of grounding you in reality.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Patriot86

Quote:
After about 25 minutes of trying to call 911, deputies arrived to investigate
25 mins! This right here is why I own a gun, it sounds like the woman did good confronting these guys. Most criminals are not used to getting confronted, they are used to submission.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:32 PM   #22
PADefenseTrainer

I feel we are making some assumptions. But I agree the .22 was probably already loaded.

My favorite part is the personal transition this one event invoked.

It start with "We don't really own guns..."

- to -

“I know that I'm safe now. We have taken precautions. If somebody comes in again they won't be walking out this time."

I'm guessing the .22 is no longer the only gun in the house.

".. a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." - Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)
Old February 17, 2012, 06:03 PM   #23
farmerboy

Glad it worked out for them. I hate to hear people not armed, then call 911 and take whatever comes your way until so
Rome helps you then. Well I hope it don't work out for the robbers at the next house because they will go somewhere else. Trust me