The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 11, 2010, 07:52 AM   #1
TheEngineer

Llama .45 oddity

Hi,
This is my first time posting on this forum. I've seen a couple different threads on here about various Llama or other Spanish arms related topics. I have come upon an oddity that I'd love some insight into.

I was given a Llama IX-A .45acp pistol by an uncle a while ago. I threw new grips and a new plunger tube on it from gunpartscorp. I've taken it to the range and shot the hell out of it. It eats up everything I throw at it. It's a fun gun to shoot around with. The bluing is very worn from being carried, I estimate. However it runs really well.

Here begins the weirdness. I didn't know much about Llama firearms, so I did a little searching and reading. I think this gun might be a hodgepodge. The slide distinctly reads LLAMA Cal .45 Model IX-A along one side, and gabilondo something or other on the other side.

The 3 digit number on the underside of the slide matches the number on the barrel, as well as the number on the mainspring housing, which is visable only after removing the housing.

These numbers do not, however match the last 3 of the serial number on the frame. The date proof above the trigger guard on the frame also clearly says N*2, which puts this gun in the mid 90's. The IX-A wasn't made in the 90's, though. Could it be a Max-I frame with IX-A everything else?

If that's the case, I'd be very surprised. The bluing wear matches all components very evenly. It looks like the gun has together for many many years. I was guessing sometime in the mid to late 60's. I'm going to take some pictures later today and post them up here so you all can see. I'd appreciate some insight, as I've hit a wall with what I currently know.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:21 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't help with the date code, but many European makers used assembly numbers. They made the parts, including frame, slide and barrel, then an assembler put them together "in the white", filed and adjusted until everything worked, then numbered the parts. The gun was then taken apart and the parts hardened and finished (blued or plated), and then reassembled using the assembly numbers to keep the fitted parts together.

In some cases (e.g., Lugers), the serial number was assigned early so the assembly number was part of the serial number (last two or three digits); other makers used a separate assembly number and the serial number was put on just before finishing.

Jim

Tags
llama