The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2006, 01:09 PM   #1
westfi1

Data

I have been away from handloading for a while. What is the current thinking on the most accurate .38 special target loads as far as powder type, charges, bullets, etc. Thanks very much.
Old November 14, 2006, 03:33 PM   #2
rwilson452

38 data

I don't think things have changed much over the years. Everyone that reloads has their own favorite.
Old November 14, 2006, 04:35 PM   #3
WSM MAGNUM

I think it`s mostly the powder brands that have changed the most in data books over the years. I have some old Hornady books and compared to the new ones, it mostly the powder changes in the data. I could still use the old books if I can still get the powder brands that I used for my favorite loads.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old November 14, 2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

A couple of thoughts: In some experimenting with my K-frame Smith, I found the Lee Tumble Lube wadcutters, fired as-cast and with the Lee Liquid Alox lube coating, make groups almost half the size of any commercial wadcutter I could buy for .38 Special.

You will find that some of the Hodgdon powders are a lot cleaner burning than Bullseye or 231. The squashed-sphere flakes meter pretty easily. Clays and Universal Clays are good choices for pure target loads. Clays is faster than Bullseye or 231, and requires a smaller charge. Try about 2.2 grains with a 148 grain wadcutter to start. This assumes you seat the bullet flush with the case mouth. Hodgdon Universal Clays comes closer to Bullseye and is sort of between it and Unique burning speed wise. 2.7 grains to start, same as the old Bullseye load, but you will probably end up with more like 3 grains.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2006, 09:47 PM   #5
JJB2

my s&w model 27 likes 148 gr. hbwcs over 3 grs. of bullseye real well...