The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 13, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1
LaniW

Belgian Percussion Cap Pistol

Once again let me preface this by saying that I inherited a small collection of firearms and I'm clueless about what these are except for those few which have tags attached to them. The tags are in my grandfather's handwriting; he was born in 1892 and died in the 1940s, so unless someone has a Ouija board handy I can't ask him for more information. My father probably did know something about the guns, but since no one in the family knew he had them no one ever asked him. So, now I'm trying to find out what I can -- I have no intention of selling any of the guns, this is for my family's information (and for insurance purposes) only.

What I know about this one is pretty much what's on the tag, which appears to read "Single barrel percussion cap pocket pistol, screw on barrel (I think? screw something barrel), Around (illegible) caliber, Belgian made". Picture below -- Any ideas what this might be?

Old March 14, 2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Are there any marking on the gun itself. I have seen several guns like this, and each had a different MFg:

Mr Harley
Old March 14, 2010, 02:06 PM   #3
LaniW

Harley,

Sadly the guns are currently in Florida and I am currently in Colorado, so I've asked my daughter to try to get clear pictures of any of the markings on this and the other guns for me. As soon as she gets back to me I'll update this and will post those pictures.

I have a half dozen or so more revolvers and small guns and a dozen long guns yet to go over and try to identify. Would you prefer that I continue to make individual posts, or that I make one post and put all of the guns there as I get to them?

I can't begin to tell you how much I truly appreciate all of the help you and others on this forum are giving me. My initial reaction to all these guns was more or less "omigod what am I supposed to do with THESE?" and now I'm rapidly becoming obsessed with finding out as much as I can about each gun!
Old March 14, 2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

This has been an exciting research for me alsol For me to identify these guns it would be easier for me, tedious for you I know, to show them individually. That was I will not miss any and fill up the forum.

The gun you show, I have seen one like it before. I am in the process of checking my library for the photo. This may take some time, however, that is what the Institute for Firearms Research is form This is actually my pleasure.

Mr Harle
Old March 14, 2010, 04:24 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

This looks a lot like the "Weinbergpistolen" used for nuisance bird killing/chasing in Germany until WWI. There was one like that pictured in the DWJ a while back, I check if I can find the article. Would be interesting to know if that thing is rifled or not.
Old March 14, 2010, 06:12 PM   #6
LaniW

Thanks, Harley! I really don't want to be a pest, and this is turning out to be such a great source of information for me that it's really good to hear that you're enjoying it too.

Mapsjanhere, I've asked my daughter to check whether this gun is rifled when she goes to take the pictures, and again will post once I get any updates.