The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Rodger Peterson

Best powder burn rate chart

Anyone have an opinion on what is the most reliable powder burn rate chart? I have a couple of sources but they differ quite a bit
Old November 18, 2006, 01:07 PM   #2
ConRich

Rodger, If you go to this site then open the page on tips there is a pretty good burn rate chart. www.larrywillis.com HTH

Rich
Old November 18, 2006, 04:43 PM   #3
WisconsinDave

I have a few sources also, this is my favorite on-line source.

http://stevespages.com/powderrates.html

Dave
Old November 18, 2006, 06:45 PM   #4
ConRich

Hi Dave, Steves chart does have a lot of info but is a PITA to read and if you try to print it out you will only get about 3/4 of a page wide.

Rich
Old November 19, 2006, 12:55 AM   #5
flutedchamber

I just copied Steve's chart, put the numbers in bold and double spaced the lines. Took a bit of time, but it is much easier to read.
Old November 19, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

No "Best"

I use charts from Hodgdon, Vihtavuori Oy, Ramshot, Beartooth, and others.

I do not depend on them for anything other than being a guide.
Old November 19, 2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Rodger Peterson

I looked at Steves pages, here is a perfect example of what I am finding. Hodgdon shows IMR4895 and H4895 nearly the same. Steves pages show a large gap between the two. I recently purchased a pre 64 30-30. I tried my best load for another 30-30 I have, IMR3031, and it was awful in the accuracy deptartment. I also tried 748 and with the same results. I had some IMR4895 and tried 30.5 grains with a 150 grain pill, it grouped about 3" at 80 yards. I am certain this rifle is velocity sensitive. I need to make a large powder purchase, as where I live it only makes sense to buy in bulk. I just haven't found the powder I wish to use in this rifle. I don't know if 4895 is going to get it done. I don't have any more IMR4895 to try to dial it in. I suspect the guns accuracy is not good, but it is beautiful, checkered walnut stock,engraved, looks like new. That's why I have been studying the burn charts.
Old November 19, 2006, 05:31 PM   #8
HiBC

Burn rates

An explanation is burn rates are a moving target.Some powders are more linear in pressure curve/charge weight changes,and some a little peakier.
A powders relative burn rate position,ie 1 step slower than RE15 @48,000 psi,might change to 1 step faster than RE15@ 60,000psi.
Another variable might be bullet "resistance".A 175gr 7mm bullet with long bearing surface and a hard jacket in a 1 in 9 twist barrel might cause a powder to find a different burn rate than a 30-06 150 grain boat tail out of a 1 in 12 twist.Add load density(75% versus compressed) and primer/ignition variables to the fact that granule configuration and retardant characteristics respond differently to changes in application.
I wildcat some and some odd applications,like a 14 in bbl handgun in 260 Rem,find me developing some loads from scratch due to lack of data.I use burn charts to narrow my powder selection.It is fair to say every chance I get I rely on the loading manual folks to sort out all those idiosincracies and give good recommendations.HiBC