The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 9, 2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Felenari

686+ loaders.

I'm moving to Trinidad Colorado next year and wanted to get into competition shooting since the Whittington center is so close. I'm not planning on competing per se but I'd like to improve my handgun shooting at least and get into shotgun shooting as well.

I've currently got a smith and wesson 686+ as my one and only handgun and am having trouble finding good loaders for it. I've got one of the bks 7 shot loaders but when I load 357 as opposed to 38spcl the loader jams. My grip is a bit too thick on the side to clear the rounds properly and on occasion I even pull rounds back out of the cylinder when I go too fast. I'm making new grips for this revolver in school but I've heard that the safariland loaders have a much smoother mechanism. That said I can't find any 7 shot loaders from safariland, just the classic 6.

Anyone know of a good available 7 shot loader or a better technique to load with the bks? I insert part of the way till at least half of the rounds are in the charge holes and then I twist and release. If I try to fully insert the loader it impacts the frame/handle of the revolver.

If no one comes from the future to stop you, how bad could it be?
Old September 9, 2018, 05:29 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Sorry, I don't know of such.
The seven shot revolver is not well suited for any form of competition I know of, so there is not much gear.

Your best move might be to sell it in California and buy a sixshooter in Colorado.
Or an eightshooter for USPSA, maybe ICORE.

Last edited by Jim Watson; September 9, 2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old September 9, 2018, 05:36 PM   #3
ms6852

No, I carry the 686+ with 3" barrel but use speed strips instead of speed loaders, as a southpaw it is a lot easier for me. You ever consider converting your revolver to a moon clip? If so this guys may help.
https://tenring.com/moon-clip-conversions/
Old September 9, 2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Felenari

@Jim Watson, I just bought the 686 new. I bought it first and foremost as a platform for engraving so I might hold off with competition style shooting for now until I can buy a different revolver.

Why is the 7 shot not good for competition? Is it just why buy a 7 shot when 8 is available or are there many courses that run 6 shot or 8 shot groups? I've never attended a match so I'm very unfamiliar with the types of competition so far.

@ms6852 I'm a South paw also but I'm fairly ambidextrous. I go back and forth between left or right. One handed shooting I do much better lefty and double hand I shoot better right handed. Rifles I shoot right but I'm cross eye dominant on that one. I have to raise my scope by almost half an inch to sit comfy on a cheek rest. I'll check out one of those clips.

Old September 9, 2018, 05:56 PM   #5
Felenari

Also, yes I've looked into moonclipping it but I'm going to try and do it myself tlwhen I'm in gunsmithing school in a year.

Old September 9, 2018, 07:16 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

It's not good for competition because there are no good speed loaders for it. I have one myself and just use the HKS loaders. They aren't the fastest to use.
Old September 9, 2018, 07:52 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I shoot mostly IDPA where you only get six in the revolver. A speed reload with one of the less speedy loaders, plus indexing the empty chamber under the hammer would be a real liability.

I shot my 686+ in USPSA with moon clips until the eightshooters came out. They now have a subdivision limited to six and one allowing eight, so seven is out in the cold.

NRA Precision is based on five shot strings with no reloads, you would be ok in Centerfire... except that nearly everybody shoots automatics but for those matches dedicated to the revolver.

NRA Action Pistol and Police are based on six shot strings. Reloads are less frequent but would still eat you up.

I had two .38/357 revolvers cut for clips, the + and a sixshooter. The long skinny cartridges do not load as easily as short stubby .45s. Just as well put in the practice with speedloaders, at least the Safariland Comp III and JetLoader six shot.

The German SL Variant speedloader was imported for the sevenshooters and is quite fast, but they have not been seen here in years and the importer has not succeeded in getting them made in USA.
Old September 9, 2018, 09:53 PM   #8
Felenari

Is there a company that ships the German ones to the US? My entire family lives next door in Belgium if not. :-P

I didn't know they were so strict on the amount of shots you can have in the firearm. I thought it was mostly if you get it stock you can use it, for most matches and then open comp where you can use anything.

I really need to read up more on competition shooting. Not very many places available where I live atm.

Old September 10, 2018, 07:53 AM   #9
Jim Watson

Haven't been imported for some time. I can't say if they are still in production in Germany.
Your Belgian connection might could help.

Here is what the previous US distributor says, but he has not updated in a long time.
http://bobmacs.com/products/speedloaders
Old September 10, 2018, 09:48 AM   #10
Felenari

Much thanks, I'll check it out.

Old September 30, 2018, 10:54 PM   #11
Vitesse304

What type of competition shooting are you wanting to do?

The 7 shot revos are at a disadvantage to the 8 shot models like the 625. Plus, 45ACP drops into the cylinder easier than longer 38/357...

The 686+ is a sweet shooter...I have 2. But when it comes to competitions, it's at a distinct disadvantage.

Most competition revo shooters are using a 929, 610, or 625 with moon clips. For IDPA, the 686 SSR is great for "Stock Service Revolver". But still you will see the 625 used most often.
Old October 1, 2018, 01:27 AM   #12
ms6852

I just purchased a S&W 617 10 shot revolver and ordered from this website their speed loader for my 22. I had never heard of them but service was great, I ordered it on Friday evening and received it priority mail on Monday. The case and speed load works great. I also noticed that they have speed loaders for the 686+ which I plan to order as well. Here is the link.
https://www.speedbeez.com/product-ca...-speedloaders/
Old October 1, 2018, 04:39 PM   #13
Don P

You could purchase a 6 shot cylinder. It's a straight swap over. Then you'll find many more accessories for reloading in competition.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 1, 2018, 05:28 PM   #14
Felenari

@Vitesse304, I don't know what kind of competition yet. I bought the gun first and foremost as a blank canvas for engraving and for accurising in gunsmithing school. I got the 7 inch barrel so I can shorten it if I mess up the muzzle brake. :-P I got the seven shot because why have six when you can have seven right? Looking back I should have bought the 617 .22 but hindsight is 20/20 right?

I have never gone to a competition in person but I'm going to attend some events when I move to Colorado. I spend too kuh time fixing my house atm. I enjoy precision shooting with my bolt action but I wouldn't call my 300 yard range "precision" distance. I really enjoy shooting handguns at 50+ yards at steel. Same with my 22 lever. I like the fast paced target acquisition and the ring of steel. I find it very Zen.

@ms6852, Ty for the link I'll check them out. I think I've seen the speed beez version before but I'm not sure.

@Don P, do you have to change the lifting arm or the timing mechanism as well for that cylinder swap? I heard you can chamber a 357 for 9mm and I'd be stoked to have a dual caliber firearm. Will the new cylinder have to be machined to adjust cylinder gap? I don't want to spend the money on parts yet if I have to wait two years to machine them.

I'm not going to be competing any time soon but it would be fun to be more competent with a faster setup.

Old October 1, 2018, 05:38 PM   #15
Don P

As I stated it's a straight swap. All you do is remove the cylinder and crane (lift) as you named it, unscrew the ejector rod, slide the cylinder off and slide the new one on and install the ejector rod. And all should be good. As far as the 9 mm goes it will not work as the 686 is a L frame and the 9 mm is an N frame. So no it will not work. 9 mm and 38/357 bullets are a different size in diameter
Old October 1, 2018, 06:06 PM   #16
Felenari

I might forego the cylinder and purchase a different firearm when I get into competition then.

Old October 1, 2018, 07:22 PM   #17
Jim Watson

Now you are thinking. Use the sevenshooter as a blank canvas for your engraving, get Something Else to compete with.

Select that Something Else AFTER you have seen what form of competition is available and interesting.
Old October 1, 2018, 07:56 PM   #18
Vitesse304

Yup. There is never buying the "wrong' gun...

Get a 617 for some steel challenge. There's a league that runs down in Pueblo during week days. The Speedbeez speed loaders work great for the 617.

Additionally, there's lots of precision shooting in CO and even in southern CO.
Old October 1, 2018, 08:03 PM   #19
Felenari

That sounds awesome. I'll have to look around for clubs or gatherings in CO. It'll be a while before I can buy another piece. I promised my wife I'd buy her a Rhino in 9mm as our next gun. I did see a really fun 6 shot 22 revolver for 199$ in trinidad tho. The 20 min background check still baffles me compared to the 10 day one here in CA. Feels like years sometimes.

Old October 4, 2018, 12:42 PM   #20
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felenari
I've currently got a smith and wesson 686+ as my one and only handgun and am having trouble finding good loaders for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felenari
Why is the 7 shot not good for competition? Is it just why buy a 7 shot when 8 is available or are there many courses that run 6 shot or 8 shot groups?
This is precisely the reason why I always recommend a 6- or 8-shot revolver over a 7. But it usually falls on deaf ears, since everyone seems to think solely in terms of SD. More often than you'd imagine, though, one gets gets the itch to try shooting some matches, then finds their 7-shot isn't so nifty any longer.
Old October 4, 2018, 01:46 PM   #21
Felenari

What does the SD term stand for? I looked at some firearms like the trr8 or vcomp from s&w but I couldn't justify spending the money on a firearm that was supposed to be for gunsmithing school. All the 8 shot revolvers were already performance center models and most of the 6 shot models didn't appeal to my bravado.

Lol to be honest the deciding factor was that lucky Luke, a character from my favorite comics, also has a 7 shot revolver to give him the one up in a shootout. Stupid deciding factor but worth it. :-P I'm making a four leaf clover lucky Luke grip for it. When I get my 8 shot I'll make a 5 leaf clover grip for it.

Old October 4, 2018, 02:21 PM   #22
Don P

SD is short for self defense. As for 6, 7, 8 shot revolvers. For the competition in ICORE which is a revolver discipline 6 shot is in the classic division using speed loaders. 7 shot would also be in classic division BUT you can only load 6 rounds. 8 shot would be in the limited division using moon Clips to load the gun with in replacing the speedloaders
Old October 4, 2018, 04:25 PM   #23
Jim Watson

I've been shooting a bit of Steel Challenge lately.
There is no capacity limit in Revolver.
Can you hit five plates in seven tries?
If so, there is a home for your Plus.
Old October 4, 2018, 10:05 PM   #24
Felenari

@Don P, thanks for the clarification. As is another field I need perpetual improvement in.

@Jim Watson, depends on the size of the plate and where it's at. :-P I can do a 6 inch at 20 yards 6 out of 7 with a 20 min warmup and no time limit. I've tried using the splits app but it's hit or miss with the app for time. I've been shooting for about ish years and I'm 500 ish rounds shy of 10.000 total rounds. About half of those were 22 from a lever action. I'm still pretty green.

Old October 5, 2018, 05:26 PM   #25
Model12Win

Safari land.