The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2016, 09:03 AM   #1
jclayto

Franchi Renaissance Sporting?

Does anyone have experience with the Franchi Renaissance Sporting model? I located a used one locally for $900 and it looks like a pretty solid feature set for the price including 30" ported barrels and adjustable comb.

I want to learn to shoot clays (trap, 5 stand, sporting) and while I am not opposed to buying a used Browning/Beretta I am struggling to convince myself to make the investment since I don't know how often I will shoot. I have handled the well reviewed Instinct models and find them to be too light for my taste. The Renaissance feels much like a Silver Pigeon in fit and weight in my inexperienced hands.

I know that Franchi is generally well liked but I can't find much on this particular model minus a few reviews talking about malfunctions and parts breaking.
Old December 23, 2016, 12:11 PM   #2
natman

I have a Renaissance Field and I am very happy with it. The Instincts and the Field models are light because they are intended for hunting where you carry it a lot and don't shoot it much, just the opposite of target work. Does yours have the gel insert recoil pad. It's amazing how much recoil it absorbs, even with a light 12 ga. IIRC, the Sporting is the steel framed target model which provides more recoil absorbing weight and should stand up better to the thousands of rounds serious target shooting demands.

I haven't had any problems with mine, but I use it for hunting so while I've carried it for hours I've probably only put a couple of boxes of shells through it.
Old December 23, 2016, 11:49 PM   #3
jclayto

Thank you for your response. I have decided to pass on this one and wait for a good used Browning or Beretta deal to eventually come my way.