The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 15, 2019, 06:54 PM   #1
'88Scrat

FS2000 Thoughts?

So I was originally thinking I was gonna use my work bonus to get a DS Arms FAL (that thread is floating around here somewhere) but now have an opportunity to buy a slightly used FN FS2000 for only a little more than the FAL.

Long story short a family member runs a pawn shop and came into one recently. Said I could have it for what it was purchased for.

It seems in good order and looks like it was hardly ever shot. But I don't know much about 'em other then they are no longer imported to the US so supply is limited. They seem like kind of a cool novelty and I'm sure it would be fun but what do you guys think?

I'm torn here...

Anyone have experience with one?
Old November 15, 2019, 10:23 PM   #2
ttarp

If the price is under $2K it could possibly be a decent investment, I've never held one, but I have a thing for bullpups, so if they weren't so expensive now I'd probably want to try one out.

Can't really offer you any useful information due to my lack of experience, but I've read that the integrated optic models have zeroing issues, other than that you're limited to using USGI mags unless you modify the magwell.
Old November 16, 2019, 12:49 AM   #3
'88Scrat

It's the tactical version with the rail on top not the factory optic. I got an Eotech 512 that is just begging to be put on it.

At first I kinda shrugged it off but the more I think about it the cooler I think it would be, especially as a range toy. Practically speaking it might be a decent home defense firearm and I suppose there is the small possibility it might be worth something as a collectable one day; they are a bit of an oddity, I've only ever seen 2 in person including this one my entire adult life. But if I'm being honest it would just be for the cool factor, something different from every other 5.56 rifle out there.

Last edited by '88Scrat; November 16, 2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old November 16, 2019, 12:54 PM   #4
ttarp

I'd say get it, like you said they aren't making them anymore, so it shouldn't be too difficult to offload and make your money back or more if you don't end up liking it enough to keep.

Life is too short to only own AR's(not saying you do, just making generalizations), trying a variety of weapons out better equips you to appreciate the design features and function of any rifle you pick up.
Old November 16, 2019, 01:48 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

The FN FS2000 has been discontinued. Parts, should you ever need any might be an issue. Magazines don't seem to be rare though. $15 to $30 each depending on the brand.
Question to ask yourself is, "Do you want a battle proven .7.62NATO battle rifle or a weird looking .223?
There's one on Gunbroker with a current bid of $605 and only 5 bids. Couple others at more than twice that.
"...using USGI mags..." No such thing.
Old November 16, 2019, 04:07 PM   #6
ttarp

Pffft whatever, just plain metal mags, no plastic mags like magpuls or anything, pretty sure the message got across, but thanks for nit picking.
Old November 17, 2019, 06:49 PM   #7
Ben Dover

I would get the FS2000,

It's a good investment, and an excellent fighting weapon. (or range toy)

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 17, 2019, 07:17 PM   #8
muzzleblast...

Oh, yes! The "Tactical Tuna"...!!! I passed on one some years ago and am still regretting it. Just buy the damn thing. Iffin' you don't like it, it's not like you'll have to sell it on Craigslist.
Old November 18, 2019, 12:52 PM   #9
Fishbed77

There are better service-style bullpups IMHO, but for a range toy and a good price, why not?

You can go live out your Splinter Cell fantasies.
Old November 19, 2019, 09:22 AM   #10
TrueBlue711

I've had an FS2000 for about 6 years now and I love it. Never had a failure and is a tack driver (FN makes amazing barrels). What's also nice is upgrading the trigger (I won't lie, it's not good out of the box) is less than $80. Now, mine has a pull weight of about 4.1 lbs. As you can see, I've done some other upgrades too haha

Quote:
Magazines don't seem to be rare though. $15 to $30 each depending on the brand.
As ttarp already mentioned, it takes any ol' metal/aluminum mag. Can find them everywhere. It won't take magpul or other polymer mags that don't have the "grooves" on the side of the mag. There are rubber wipes in the magwell that contour to the mag grooves to prevent any dirt/dust/etc from ingressing into the gun. Which, unfortunately, doesn't make the magazine free drop. You have to pull it out for swapping mags. I heard you can use a knife to remove the wipes, but I haven't done that.

Quote:
There are better service-style bullpups IMHO,
I agree with this comment. I got my FS2000 before the Tavor was really a thing and probably would've gone that route. Don't get me wrong, I love the FS2000. Just wouldn't be a gun I'd take to battle for 3 reasons: mag changes aren't fast, no last shot bolt hold and difficult to check & correct malfunctions IF they happen (reliability isn't an issue with this gun). But considering they don't make these anymore, it's a fun collective gun for sure!

If you have any FS2000 questions, let me know.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; November 19, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old November 22, 2019, 08:29 PM   #11
'88Scrat

So I went ahead and picked it up. My justification being that DS Arms currently and for the foreseeable future will be producing their FAL rifles wheras FN no longer imports the FS2000 to the United States. Get while the getting is good, never know if I'll have a better opportunity!

I gave it a really thorough once over and was able to disassemble it enough to confirm that it has been shot (no surprise there really) but I don't think a lot. Overall the little bullpup looks great, with very limited signs of wear. Bore is bright and shiny with strong rifling. Upon inspecting the bolt and carrier they seem brand new. Trigger pack also shows only small amounts of use from where the hammer hit the firing pin.

Side note here: There is no trigger disconnect so it's a later generation rifle.

Someone took care of her. But as advertised it's not a new firearm. When I removed the gas plug and piston I discovered considerable carbon build up. My guess is that whoever had it before me never cleaned the gas system but remembered to clean everything else. I've seen a lot worse carbon buildup in AR-15s so it's nothing a little Hoppes #9 and some elbow grease can't fix right up. Might add a little oil to the trigger pack as well.

I'll definitely add an Eotech 512 to the rail cause I honestly dislike that TINY rear peep and I got pretty good eyes. Can't imagine my dad trying to use the irons. The trigger is a bit spongy but that is to be expected from a bullpup.

Trueblue711 you mentioned some kind of trigger upgrade. Could you get specific?

Overall it looks like I got a great little rifle and I got it for a song!

I am gonna watch a YouTube video on how exactly the ejection system works though...
Old November 25, 2019, 11:18 AM   #12
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Trueblue711 you mentioned some kind of trigger upgrade. Could you get specific?
So there are two trigger upgrades you can do:
1) Add a Neu Trigger upgrade to your trigger pack. All it is is a smooth metal "clip" that goes over your polymer sear and makes the surface have less friction. It helps, but not a huge improvement to the trigger.
2) This upgrade REALLY made a difference. You send the trigger pack to K&M Aerospace and he'll do a mod to the trigger pack that almost cuts the pull weight in half. And he only charges $50!

I did both to get that trigger pull weight to that 4.1 lb range.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; November 25, 2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old November 25, 2019, 09:46 PM   #13
'88Scrat

I'll have to get in touch with him then.

Thanks for the info man!