The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Jnw8w8

Question about Savage Fox 410 extractor

First time poster. I found some great information regarding a Savage Fox Model B from a previous forum member and needed some advice as well. After 25 years of shooting an O/U I recently acquired my first SxS; a Savage Fox 410 with beautiful wood, perfect bore, and extremely tight locking. The shotgun appears to have been made in 1960 (oval letter code L) and was from the Chicopee Falls factory. The gun really looks as if it was rarely used but I did notice that the extractor will rock slightly when no shells are in either chamber. This model has a single trigger and everything functioned perfectly when I was test shooting the shotgun with both 2.5" and 3" shells. Can any of the members of this forum let me know if it is normal for the extractor to rock (approx. 1 to 2 mm) when there are no shells in either chamber? I noted from parts diagrams that the single extractor rod for Fox 410s made in 1960 had no additional guide rods and was a round rod with a flat for the retaining screw that is visible when the forend has been removed. Would a longer retaining screw reduce this rocking or is the play in the extractor normal? I have images if needed and can try to get them on a web server if needed.
Thanks in advance.
Old January 6, 2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Virginian

Haven't seen that many, but a slight rocking is normal. You could try a longer screw but you are probably going to get into drag before you can notice any improvement.
Old January 6, 2017, 03:38 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Sounds normal to me. I would shoot it.
Old January 9, 2017, 11:34 PM   #4
Jnw8w8

Thanks Virginian and Blindstitch. The gun seems to chamber, fire and extract the spent shells without any problems. I had seen a few FOX Model B 410 shotguns from Westfield, Ma. with extra extractor guide rods but the parts schematic I found for this Chicopee Falls, Ma. 410 only shows the single extractor rod.
Appreciate the help.