The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 2, 2015, 04:27 PM   #1
Hunter562yards

Ak47 muzzle brake

I bought my first Ak a couple of weeks ago, its a Century Arms C39. Its a great gun, I just wish it wasnt so loud. Does anyone know of a place I could get a different muzzle brake that isnt so loud and wont break the bank? Any suggestions would be great, thank you.
Old April 2, 2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Moomooboo

A muzzle brake makes it louder no? It just reduces recoil and muzzle climb. Its a suppressor or silencer you seek i believe.

Do you shoot outside?
Old April 2, 2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Snyper

Remove the brake and it will be quieter
Old April 2, 2015, 05:57 PM   #4
skizzums

the only brake the makes it "quitter" at least perceived is a linear compensator. doesn't actually make your firearm that much quieter, but pushes the sound out in front of your and helps disperse it. they aren't cheap though.

does your AK actually have a muzzle "brake" or is it just the "slant" compensator, not a brake, just pushes the gases to the rleft and up to help reduce climb....somewhat. if you have an actual brake, like a block with large ports on the side, then removing that and replacing with the standard ak slant comp will make it quieter. if you already have the slant and yo still want it quieter, than I linear device is the only thing that will help, and I am not sure it would even really help in an indoor environment.

something like this can help disperse the sound and redirect to the front. although it isn't ideally a "linear" comp like I a trying to explain. but its what I could find in a couple secs
https://www.primaryarms.com/Spike_s_..._p/sakd14m.htm

something like this will make it extremely louder
https://www.primaryarms.com/Lantac_U...p/dgnak47b.htm

I have zero experience with the "krink" type brakes, maybe someone else can explain what they are supposed to do exactly. but they say it also send the sound "forward" of the shooter.
https://www.primaryarms.com/PWS_CQB_...p/3cqb24c1.htm

but without actual suppression, you not going to affect the reality of the decibel output, but only redirect it to make it seem quieter to "you" being behind the rifle.
Old April 2, 2015, 06:06 PM   #5
skizzums

here is a linear compensator.
http://www.rksplus.com/HERA-ARMS-Linear-Compensator

search around and surely you could find them much cheaper and probably more effective. but notice you only want holes exerting the gases out the front of the brake to really get the sound away from you. someone makes one with dozens of tiny holes, only on the front, and angled inward which seems like it would be an effective design. good luck

also, the larger ammo you go with, the deeper the boom and is kinder on the ears than the superfast lightweight bullets. I believe tula/wolf/bea all make 150-160gr which will be a little easier on the ears than a 120gr, barely though, but noticeable.
Old April 2, 2015, 07:07 PM   #6
Hunter562yards

Thank you all for the suggestions. Moomooboo: I have only ever shot outside. Skizzums: It isnt the slant brake, ive heard that they reduce accuracy a little. The brake I have is what came on the rifle, its about an inch and a half long, has three V shaped cuts on the top and I think 8 holes going around the front. Even out in the field I cant fire 3 rounds without having to use ear protection. And when I got the gun, I also got some Tula steel cased ammo. Thank you all again.
Old April 2, 2015, 09:30 PM   #7
Dragline45

Quote:
Even out in the field I cant fire 3 rounds without having to use ear protection.
You shouldn't fire any gun, even a .22 pistol, without ear protection. You know that ringing in your ears you get from loud noises? Put your ears through enough abuse and that ringing never goes away, ask me how I know.

Short of removing the brake and having the muzzle crowned anything you add short of a suppressor wont make much of a difference, even the blank barrel crowned wont be a huge difference.
Old April 2, 2015, 09:53 PM   #8
Hunter562yards

I have to admit, im not the best with remembering to grab hearing protection every time. I was so excited to shoot my new gun i completely spaced grabbing anything before I left the house. Ive taken it out a second time and I made sure to grab some protection. Im just looking for something to make it a bit more bearable, I plan on using it for coyote hunting, and possibly hog hunting if I get the chance.
Old April 2, 2015, 10:45 PM   #9
skizzums

please use ear protection. I keep a couple foam ones in wallet at all times in case I forget. dude, you could seriously cause a life-long condition and fast. I think I have taken 3 or 4 shots total w/o ear protection from a rifle caliber and after that first shot, i am either finding ear protection immediately or calling off shooting. DO NOT SHOOT center-fire rifle w/o protection....period. of course only 3 shots makes it unbearable one shot should make it unbearable, it's not your rifle that's the problem, justa common rule of firearm ownership. more power to you in your hobby, but if you can't follow a simple step of keeping ear plugs around at all times, I dunno man, maybe this just aint for you. I am not trying to be a dic, that just really concerns me that you would even try to shoot a medium caliber rifle like that. get a 38spl lever action or a .10/22 if this is going to be a reoccurring thing
Old April 3, 2015, 07:08 AM   #10
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzums View Post
please use ear protection. I keep a couple foam ones in wallet at all times in case I forget. dude, you could seriously cause a life-long condition and fast. I think I have taken 3 or 4 shots total w/o ear protection from a rifle caliber and after that first shot, i am either finding ear protection immediately or calling off shooting. DO NOT SHOOT center-fire rifle w/o protection....period. of course only 3 shots makes it unbearable one shot should make it unbearable, it's not your rifle that's the problem, justa common rule of firearm ownership. more power to you in your hobby, but if you can't follow a simple step of keeping ear plugs around at all times, I dunno man, maybe this just aint for you. I am not trying to be a dic, that just really concerns me that you would even try to shoot a medium caliber rifle like that. get a 38spl lever action or a .10/22 if this is going to be a reoccurring thing
Ive had to endure 20 rounds of m16 fire along with everyone arouns me as i had forgotten to put it in. Took me a few rounds to realize what i was lacking.

Done this more than once, im all about hearing protection, but youre kind of exaggerating man. Sure 1 can damage you, but in my experience with others its not loud enough and your body is pretty resilient. Remember to put it in, but your life probably isnt over if you dont.
Old April 4, 2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Road_Clam

There is no AK "quite" brake. However there is better brakes than the traditional "slant". I added a $15 Tapco slotted brake and a big difference in taming muzzle flip. Follow up shot target acquisition is much better for me with the Tapco.
Old April 4, 2015, 09:13 PM   #12
AK103K

Quote:
There is no AK "quite" brake.
That pretty much sums it up.

If its held on by the retaining pin and comes right off, they make muzzle nuts to replace it, or you could just put a slant on it.

Ive had the AK 74 type on a couple of guns, and while they did reduce muzzle rise, they are loud and flashy.

Personally, Id look for a good flash hider, and call it good. The brakes are really not necessary.

Quote:
but youre kind of exaggerating man
Spoken like someone who still has some hearing left.
Old April 5, 2015, 01:39 AM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Jeez guys! It's "quiet."
Old April 5, 2015, 06:49 AM   #14
chefbarf

I like the c39 the muzzle brake works fine for reducing recoil just wear your ears i feel the most annoying part of the rifle is the non traditional sights. The rear sight is windage adjustable and held on by a microscopic set screw which i lost in the carpet for about a half hour. I feel like it needs a red dot as a backup for the iron sights normally its the other way around.