The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 3, 2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Buzzard Bait

Browning Citori firing pin

Is there a new firing pin available to solve the problem of the bottom firing pin sticking or seizing up in Citori shot guns
bb
Old October 3, 2014, 05:56 PM   #2
eastbank

i own three browning citori o/u,s and have never had that problem(no problems at all), but if i did i would send it or take it to a authorized browning repair gunsmith. the fireing pin may be broken or to long. eastbank.
Old October 3, 2014, 08:07 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd take it to Browning but if I was my own, I'd make one. As part of our exit exam, two classmates had to make firing pins, fit them, heat treat them and then test them (gun must go bang and pin not break).
Old October 4, 2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

If it's sticking, I'd look at it being dirty with carbon. That, and check for a broken firing pin spring.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/C-15-3
Old October 4, 2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Buzzard Bait

Well

It may not be sticking it may be too short have not measured it . It happened before about three years ago the bottom barrel was failing to fire and giving me very lite indents on the primer. I took it apart it was clean nothing appeared worn or broken so I ordered both upper and lower pins and springs reassembled it and it worked fine . Until this week same deal bottom barrel does not fire has very light indents. Some where don't remember where I saw some one was selling replacement firing pins and springs for Citoris that solved the bottom barrel miss fire problem just don't remember where I saw it.I even think the May have been titanium pins and Crome silicon springs which would be a nice up grade.
bb
Old October 4, 2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

If the barrel has been hitting it, it could have marred the end of the firing pin, and cause what you speak of, so check the tip of the pin to see that it is still domed in shape. The bottom firing pin, as you know, aims downward, and gravity makes it want to go down, if not for the spring. If the hole for the pin gets carbonized, from leaky primers, it can cause the spring to stick, which would allow the pin to protrude when opening and closing the barrels. Midwest has both new springs and pins listed, so I would replace both, if cleaning didn't help.
Old October 6, 2014, 10:25 PM   #7
Scorch

The bottom firing pin on a Citori does not have a spring, it is returned by gravity. If the firing pin in a double gun is sticking, I usually suspect rust or some sort of grit in it.

You can buy replacement firing pins for your Citori from Brownells. Also, since you will be in there working, consider replacing the firing pin springs. They are relatively cheap.
Old October 7, 2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Scorch, that's the over barrel that has no spring, the under barrel has one.

Because of that, the under barrel's firing pin aims downward, and if the spring goes bad, or is stuck, the pin can stick out of the breech face, and hit the barrel lump when you open it. If it has been doing this, you can always see the tell-tale mark it leaves behind on the middle of the barrel lump just below the rim recess. It's about 1/8" thick or so, but it can mark it there, and even dig out the rim recess if left long enough.

B1334164 Firing Pin Spring Under 12 Gauge All
B1334165 Firing Pin Spring Under 20-28-410 All
B1334157 Firing Pin Under 12 Gauge All
B1334158 Firing Pin Under 16 Gauge
B1334159 Firing Pin Under 20-28-410 All