The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 8, 2014, 05:08 PM   #1
ffs1942

What edges do you recommend for your knives?

I'm confused with all these new serrated and even saw edges on field knives. When I was young, all good knives had straight edges. Only cheap, neglected steak knives had serrated edges. Then the Gerber MK2 came along with a partial serrated. The military pilots knife also has a kind of saw edge on its spine.

Most modern knives are coming out with serrated or saw edges now. Cutco, that owns K-Bar, has a nice one hand folder with 2 rows of saw teeth on oits blade.

I do note that serrated edges seem better on heavy rope or webbing, but that's it. Many are hard to sharpen in the field and some, like the Cutco, must be sent back to the manuf.

I still think straight edges are superior for skinning, scraping, building fires, trimming brush, very minor surgery, cutting commo wire, fighting, etc, but why is everybody going to these serrated edges?

Here are some of my fav blades over the years.

USAF pilots knife

Pat Mitchell of Sheffield-The perfect hunter and quite pretty.

Gerber EZ Out-No longer made

Case Camp Knife- A deluxe scout knife

Victorinox Swiss Army Knife-A bit flimsy, but still versatile for light work.

Bayonet-Carrying 2 sheath knives is a bit cumbersome in war and you need the bayonet.

What edges do you favor for hunting, survival, combat or to back up your carry piece?
Old March 8, 2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I think most knife enthusiasts prefer straight edge blades, myself included. A straight edge provides a cleaner cut and is great as a hunting, camp and everyday edge.

While serrated does cut some things very well, they can be almost impossible to resharpen. Spyderco and Benchmade, both of which will resharpen straight edge blades free of charge, will not resharpen serrated blades. A Sharpmaker does a good job on them however.

Personally, I think the trend in higher end knives is moving away from serrated. Full serrated is very hard to find and partial serrated blades, while available, aren't in majority. Partial serrated blades in my opinion don't really provide enough serration to be very useful.

As far as hunting, I prefer a full tang straight edge like the CRK Nyala.

For EDC, I prefer a Strider SnG CC, a CRK small Sebenza and a Spyderco Sage 1.

For camp chores and hiking I carry either a ZT 300 or a ZT 561.

I should note that my first higher end knife was a Spyderco Endura fully serrated blade. While it doesn't see much action any more, it was the knife that really got me into knives.
Old March 8, 2014, 09:32 PM   #3
nemesiss45

I think its all about the use of the knife. If I will carry and use a knife regularly, I want a straight blade so I can sharpen it easily... but I have partially serrated blades for most of my emergency knife, like in my glove boxes, one in a backpack I ride with, and in my camping supplies... I just figure that it might come in handy in a pinch, and I have never used any of those enough to need to sharpen them... some have never cut anything.
Old March 8, 2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Venom1956

I like serrated if they dull i just leave them as is since they require a sawing motion away doesn't mean they have to be razor sharp. If they really get dull and stumpy ill just grind them out. those notches make a handy spot to strip wiring also.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 8, 2014, 10:08 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

I have no problem sharpening the scalloped edge serrated blades, but I still don't like them. They're great for steak knives, or for applications where you know you'll be dragging the edge across something hard that will dull the edge. With a serrated knife, only the points are dulled since that's all that makes contact with the hard surface. That leaves the rest of the edge sharp.

I have a number of serrated knives in the kitchen, and I like having a serrated blade available in a multi-tool for the times you need to do something that calls for that kind of application or for use when you don't want to screw up your good blade. But all my general purpose knives have plain edges.

I will not own a knife that has the type of serrated blade that looks like a sawblade with fine small teeth. Those are nearly impossible to sharpen and I've not found them to cut very well, even when they are new. The only good thing about them is that their cutting performance doesn't change. They start off cutting really poorly, and after you use them a lot and really "dull" the blades, they still cut really poorly.
Old March 8, 2014, 10:57 PM   #6
AK103K

I agree with the "its all about the use" thought. Serrations have a place, especially on a hard use knife, and they can be sharpened with something like a Lansky sharpener, or even with a flat stone, if you just dress up the back side.

I usually carry a combination of one of these for work and day to day use....

The one on the right is a Spyderco "Wegner", designed by the boy who makes the Blade Tech holsters. The Wegner has some very aggressive serrations, and they tear through the heavy stuff like butter. The blade is easily sharpened, and holds a very good edge. Its very well made, and you can instantly feel that when you pick it up and open it.

I also usually have a German "Falshirmjager" gravity knife along. They are great utility knives, and also hold a great edge.

I also use a Boker "Kalashnikov" for work. Its my hard use knife, and it gets used hard, and pretty much daily. I got a number of these a few years back for around $20 each, and they have been well worth the money. They take a good edge and are pretty good about holding it. I touch up the serrated part now and then, and usually just hit the back side each time I sharpen it. So far, Im still using the first one, and havent lost or broken it. They arent as strong as the Spyderco's or Benchmade's, but they arent bad either.

Quote:
Then the Gerber MK2 came along with a partial serrated.
And I think its the worst thing they ever did. Their latest rehashed version is horrible and basically junk. The one I picked up a few years back, wasnt even sharp out of the box.

I prefer mine with the cat tongue grip, wasp waisted, and with a razors edge.

No stone for this one, its a hard flat surface, varying grades of emery, and a little oil.

Old March 9, 2014, 12:11 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

Guns?....

How is this subject gun-firearm related?
Old March 9, 2014, 12:45 AM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

This subforum is for the "Open discussions of firearm accessories and shooting related gear."

Knives can be considered to be firearm accessories or shooting related gear in a number of ways, either from a hunting, survival standpoint, from a bayonet/military standpoint, or from a self-defense, backup to a firearm standpoint.
Old March 9, 2014, 01:54 AM   #9
bamaranger

knives

Hey, their usually cheaper than guns, and take up less room!I typically will have a couple of knives on me at any given time.

My first and only fully serrated blade was the old style Spyderco Endura, and I liked it for the way it cut tough stuff like webbing, fire hose, heavy line, etc. As a rescue or rough use blade, it seems to make sense. Seemed to me that it would cut such stuff faster , longer than a straight edge would. I could never get mine back to factory sharp, but got pretty good at using one of the needle type sharpeners to give a satisfactory edge. My one attempt at using it to skin and quarter a deer did not yield the results I wanted, and I never used one on game again. The serrated Spyderco got plucked by brush from my pocket while working boundary one year, and I never could find it.

I've got a partially serrated Kershaw as a gift, and while the knife quality is good, I do not care for the 1/2 & 1/2 blade. The rearward serrations are right where I tend to do fine work with the blade, and on a long cut, the straight/serrated change gives odd feel and results with the cut. I will not have a partially serrated knife due to the above.

Everything else I have is a "straight" edge. Good sharpening tools yield easy super edges, and even if dulled afield, a rod or small diamond sharpener will have it back to factory sharp or better easily.
Old March 9, 2014, 03:20 AM   #10
ClydeFrog

Okay...

Ok, I'm sure many CCW holders also tote a small folder.
I'm looking at the new S&W Border Guard 4 tanto series. It's a folder with a glass breaker & seat belt cutter.
For general carry, security details or vehicle emergency use, I like the tanto serraded style from Benchmade, Cold Steel, TDI-KaBar & CRKT.
Ernest Emerson is considered a top knife designer. He made custom knives for SWAT cops, SEALs, NASA, and many spec ops units.

Last edited by ClydeFrog; March 9, 2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old March 9, 2014, 11:16 AM   #11
ffs1942

Absolutely relevant...

The knife is the most essential part of the gunner's kit after his ammo. Its how you skin the game you've shot, built a fire, tied a deer down, etc.

Its good for plucking staples off your tgt or scraping carbon off your AR bolt.

Its an essential back-up weapon.

On one exercise I handed my M9 to my supervisor. He announced I was now his hostage. As he turned to phone his demands, he heard a click and found the spine of my Spyderco against his throat. I announced "Endex!"
Old March 9, 2014, 05:45 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

TACTICAL KNIVES!

That is all it is. Bear Grills Survival tactician space age marketing. No one who uses a knife regularly or has ever had to rely on one is going to pick a single blade with a sawback or serrations. Not in my pocket, in a sheath on my belt, in my glove compartment, tackle box, BOB, or anywhere else.

On a multi-tool that has a separate straight edge serrations are not problem, but also ads very little utility. Now, a small saw of some sort on a multi-tool is invaluable IMO. I have stuck with a Victorinox SwissChamp I love b/c of the saw on it. It has two staight blades and no serrated.
Although great for cutting heavy rope, as was pointed out to me some years ago when discussing this subject, if your straight edge knife can't cut rope you need to learn to sharpen it correctly.
Old March 9, 2014, 09:43 PM   #13
North East Redneck

My Buck 110 folder and Leatherman 300 are always on my belt. For larger work a Buck 119 may be added to the belt. Both the 110 and 119 are straight edged blades. The Leatherman has a wood saw and a fully serrated blade.
As to partial serrated knife blades, I see very limited use for such a blade.
Old March 9, 2014, 10:02 PM   #14
Clark

I have 50 or 100 knives, and I don't have many and don't know much compared to a real knife guy.

But I know what I like.

These two are both good:

556 Benchmade Pardue Mini-Griptilian Manual Folding Knife, Black Handle, Plain Edge Satin Blade $89.25
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZQH4K/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools SE-01 Spec-Elite Mini Knife with Straight Edge Folding 2.75-Inch VG10 Steel Blade and GRN Handle, Bead Blasted Finish $76.09
http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-...r_1_cc_1?s=aps

I have gutted many deer and one antelope with the SOG.
I use it every day to cut open plastic and find food inside a package.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 17, 2014, 04:06 PM   #15
NCummins

I like a partially serrated blades, only like a 1/3 of the blade though. Works great for cutting rope, or various other things. My carry knives always have a partially serrated blade, but skinning knives and things like that are all straight, I also don't like knives that have curved inward blades, pain the rear to sharpen with a stone.
Old March 17, 2014, 09:11 PM   #16
603Country

I prefer non-serrated blade knives, and I've been using a KaBar forever. You can spend more money, but it's hard to find a good sized general purpose knife that's really better than a KaBar. Of course it won't work as a pocket knife, so for that I have a easy open type Gerber. Every now and then I get tempted by a pretty knife, but I really have what I need already. That said, I once saw a Damascus steel bladed KaBar and I almost wet myself. The guy was given it as a gift and he never every hunted, but he would not sell me that darn knife.