The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 5, 2001, 09:48 AM   #1
westcangunner

I'm mounting a "weaver" style sight rail on my 629 and 686. Is it standard proceedure to drill the holes thru the top strap, or should they be blind holes?? It seams to me that the addional 32nd of an inch of depth would really add to the grip of the screws. I'm going to use the #6x48 screws for the 686 and was thinking to go to #8x40's for the 629. Comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks from the lee side of the Canadian Rockies

WCG
Old January 6, 2001, 08:58 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Westcangunner, you can do it either way. I had a scope mounted on a Model 29 for years and it's holes were all the way through. It never showed any weakness and the mount never moved. When I mount a rail on a revolver I drill the holes through. George
Old January 8, 2001, 09:22 AM   #3
westcangunner

Thanks George....

WCG
Old January 9, 2001, 12:52 AM   #4
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
The new ones come from the factory with the holes drilled all the way thru. The first two Smiths I scoped I drilled the barrel and installed a cantilever type base. I did a 6" 617 and 686 that way. It put the scope a little farther forward kinda like a Ruger Redhawk, the ocular lens was about even with the rear sight and the balance was perfectly. The nice thing was I could easily remove the scopes to use the pistols' iron sights, used Burris Zee Rings, put the scope back on and it'd return to zero. The new style base makes you remove the pistols rear sight. -- Kernel