The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 12:41 PM   #1
UncleLoodis

Magazine shortage

Hey, I just went to Brownell's and MidwayUSA...both were out of mags for Glock 19 (gen 3). What's a fair price for magazines 15 rd., 30 rd. these days, say at a show...if you can even find them?

thanks.

U.L.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:37 PM   #2
oldone

Yeah, there getting out of hand in the pricing. I tried to find some more mags for my Mossberg .22lr, 10 rnd or more. A couple of years ago I got one for $15, now if you can find them, every one is out of stock. Now they cost $35-45 each.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:47 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

It is amusing, and sad at the same time. There are two basic reasons for the scarcity and high prices now. Greed, and fear.

Think about it for a moment, WHY are you wanting to get more magazines? Didn't you get enough when, or shortly after you got the gun? Why not?

And why do you need to get more NOW?

Ok, because of all the talk about banning, better get a spare, or a few now, right? Yep, and the whole country that didn't do it before is trying to buy what's left, now.

And lots have been buying everything they can get their hands on, more than ordinary needs, speculating on the market. Which means even fewer left for the guy who just wants one or two.

I've got enough for my needs, and then some. Except for those rare guns I own (which have always been a pain to get mags for), all my common stuff is already well covered, and has been for a long, long time.

the shortage on ammo, on the other hand is a real pain in the wallet.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Hairbag

^^^so true^^^ everyone always wants what they can't have
Old February 3, 2013, 03:17 PM   #5
h2otoo

"Didn't you get enough when, or shortly after you got the gun? Why not?"

Actually, no. I got one. M&P 22. Try finding a second (it IS shortly after I got the gun, FYI)

Also had an after market (plastic) mag for my MKII finally give up the ghost and split down the side. Try finding a replacement.

Guess I am just being greedy and fearful...

Bob
Old February 3, 2013, 03:36 PM   #6
chris in va

Quote:
Think about it for a moment, WHY are you wanting to get more magazines? Didn't you get enough when, or shortly after you got the gun? Why not?

And why do you need to get more NOW?
Ok, I'll answer that.

I have two MecGar's for my CZ. Getting into competition, I realize a third or fourth would be a good idea. Unfortunately I can't find any.

As for the panic buyers, they're trying to get more as the fear of a mag capacity limit looms on the horizon. When a magazine wears out, and they do, you'll have to rely on your stockpile at home.

Quote:
the shortage on ammo, on the other hand is a real pain in the wallet
So...since we're blasting unprepared gun owners looking for a few mags, why weren't you prepared with ammo? I reload and have plenty.

Last edited by chris in va; February 3, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:50 PM   #7
h2otoo

"So...since we're blasting unprepared gun owners looking for a few mags, why weren't you prepared with ammo? "

Good one, Chris!
Old February 3, 2013, 04:50 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
^^^so true^^^ everyone always wants what they can't have
And they scream about "gouging", unless of course, they are selling
Old February 3, 2013, 04:52 PM   #9
9mm

3, model 17 went for $240 recently
3, model 19 went for $200+ recently

decent price?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MAG-248

just $80 at CTD :/
Old February 3, 2013, 05:07 PM   #10
jason_iowa

When I buy a gun that uses magazines be it rifle, shotgun or handgun I buy 10-20 magazines because I figure they are always going to be cheaper today then in the future. Obviously in our current climate this is not the case.

One of the many reasons I'm on a revolver kick atm. Now is a good time to buy revolvers and single shot rifles. I just picked up a near mint model 1885 octagon barrel in 22lr for 700 bucks.

So plan ahead, stay calm and wait out the panic.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Aiko

The few G19 mags that could be found @ the local gun show today today were going for $40-50, one vendor was asking $75 lol.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:59 PM   #12
sigarms228

Natchez was in stock much of yesterday for $35 and limit of 10.

I suggest you go to their website and sign up to be notified when they are back in stock.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Skans

If you want magazines, you will have to bid on them on Gunbroker and expect to pay a premium. The only other way is to find someone who is willing to take your money and put you on a waiting list.

I just purchased a 30 round factory Ruger Mini-14 (AC556) magazine. I think I paid about $76 all in, and I was glad to get it - bid on 3 auctions to finally snag one. Yes, I could have purchased it for $40 a year ago.....but didn't. A factory 30 rounder is a must-have for my AC556.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:08 PM   #14
kjd2121

Scottsdale Gun Club - $29.00 - Glock 19 mag
Old February 4, 2013, 06:01 PM   #15
BigJimP

As soon as all the hoarders...just relax ( or run out of money ) on mags and ammo, especially ammo, the prices will all come down !

I have all the mags, and ammo, I want - let alone need, for a long time...but this price gouging, is just pure profiteering....and I understand its free commerce and all that ....but a lot of panic buyers are just buying whatever they can get their hands on ....so they can resell it and make a big time profit....(and it irritates me - because as part of the gun hobby - we're eating our own !! ).

I hope the profiteers - get stuck with tons of inventory ...they can't unload at 50% of what they paid for it ! ( that's free commerce too )...especially in terms of things like 9mm ammo ( that have nothing to do with any kind of high capacity mag laws that may, or may not, come to pass )....

Mags are a little different - if they are outlawed - but I have a bunch of mags for 1911's, Sig Sauers, etc....that have well over 10,000 rds thru them with no issues....it isn't like they wear out in a year or two ..../ and while I shoot about 25,000 rds a year thru a variety of guns....I'm not going to quit going to the range anytime soon ( went on Sunday am - with 4 boxes of 9mm, 6 boxes of .357 mag / and a few boxes of .22 ) and had a great time !
Old February 4, 2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Skans

If you really need a particular magazine or two, I'd buy it now and pay the premium. The Senate will pass a bill with some kind of ban on magazines over 10 rounds. The House may not pass a similar bill, and then you can breathe easily for a little while longer. But, there is an outside chance it could get passed in the House.

But, here's what you aren't reading about: Sig, Ruger, S&W, Glock, etc. could all VOLUNTARILY agree to no longer produced certain magazines.

Or, their could be some kind of compromise bill on drum magazines, etc. One thing is for sure, neither your nor I know what our politicians will end up doing.

So, if you need to spend $70 - $100 on a particular magazine you need, that is not a dumb idea. Like I said, I paid $70 for a 30 round factory Ruger magazine. If prices ever come back down to $40, then I guess I wasted $30 - oh, well.

Remember, they banned machineguns in '86. They banned importation of military style semi-autos in '89. They banned assault weapons in '94. Yeah, I'd take this seriously, folks. Try paying today's prices for machineguns, an FNC, or a FN FAL.

On the other side, I wouldn't be hoarding 20 XS drums thinking you will be able to re-sell them for a HUGE profit. Buy what you need and leave the hoarding to the stock-land-gun speculators.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:48 PM   #17
UncleLoodis

heheh

@ 44AMP, you assume too much my good man.

I was thinking of selling some of my mags--I have plenty. I bought a bunch of 30 round Glock mags a while back and really don't use them...and I know they may fetch a handsome price these days. But I don't know what a fair price is lately. Sorry if I unintentionally misled ya'll. I also have an AR-15 receiver...have a trigger kit in it--thinking of selling it too. I have a fully functional AR-15, so I'm thinking of getting rid of some of my stuff that I don't use and buying my next S&W...a 629. I figure that legislation will pass or it won't pass. If it passes, then I may kick myself later for selling some of my goods. But I know there are a LOT of gun owners like myself who aren't planning on giving everything up so easily. So if legislation isn't passed--well, now might be a good time to finance my next S&W. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply; I've been fighting the crud-cold.

As always, there are some interesting points of views, and I thank you all for them.

U.L.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:24 AM   #18
KO3422

I think a fair price (if you can find them), would be $35-40 each. I know they pop up every now and then for $30, but I'm always too slow.