The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 4, 2006, 09:33 AM   #1
PDshooter

AR fixed stock....to collapsible ?

I've got a bushy fixed stock on my AR15. Now that the AWB has sunset. I would like to make it adjustable. I hear that "Brownnells" sell a kit to make it collapsible. Has anyone done this before, and how much of a PITA is this todo?
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old October 4, 2006, 11:02 AM   #2
CDH

I didn't know that there was a "kit" that made a fixed stock "collapsible".

I think you just remove the fixed stock and replace it with a telescoping stock. You'll find several on this page: http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/

It helps if you have some of the basic AR-15 specific take down tools, but you can do it without them if you're careful.

Carter
Old October 4, 2006, 11:56 AM   #3
ATW525

I'd suggest getting a carbine stock wrench. Overall though it's a pretty easy task if you just take your time and do it right. The main thing is to make sure not to lose any of the little parts and springs that might fall out of the lower when you take the stock and buffer tube off.
Old October 4, 2006, 07:03 PM   #4
hodaka

I've got a collapable stock on one of my AR's, just because I wanted one. I'll have to say that I don't like it very much. It pulls out my whiskers, it is uncomfortable to shoot, you couldn't whack anyone effectively with it and folding it up only shortens the rifle a few inches. I have built several more AR's since but I am loath to put on another folder. Just an opinion.
Old October 4, 2006, 11:03 PM   #5
FS2K

Pd

I'm guessing you have what looks like a collapsible stock, but is "fixed" or solid right?

Well, these use full length buffer tubes anyway so just making the Plastic slide isn't enough, you will have a tube sticking out of the end of your stock in the closed position.

You can get a 4 position CAR stock for around $20.00 these days, and 6 position M4 stocks for a little more. No name brands of course, but in order for your gun to have a collapsible stock you need to change it.

Last edited by FS2K; October 4, 2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old October 4, 2006, 11:17 PM   #6
MisterPX

Changing out you stock isn't too hard. After you order a whole new stock assembly (your "fixed" M4 looking stock isn't adaptable), use a spanner wrnech and unscrew the castle nut for the stock, once loose, you can unscrew the buffer tube (careful not to loose any springs). Screw new stock tube in, and ta-da.
Old October 5, 2006, 12:03 AM   #7
FS2K

To add to what PX said.

Here are a few tips for changing out your stock.

Take out the buffer and spring BEFORE you start unscrewing the buffer tube.

After lifting your upper reciever up off of the lower, you will see the threaded end of the buffer tube right there. Inside of the tube you'll see the face of your buffer. Most buffers dont have a perfectly round face, and you'll notice flat spots on it. Simply turn the buffer till one of the flat spots is directly over the retention pin which is at the 6 o'clock position. This pin is spring loaded and is usually the one to go shooting across the room to get lost. Using a pencil (or something similar) press down the retention pin while at the same time pushing the buffer back slightly. As soon as you have the pin deperssed, ease pressure off of the buffer and slowly allow it to come forward. You should be able to wiggle the buffer and spring out of the tube at this point.

If you have a hard time rotating the buffer in the tube to align the flat spot to the pin, simply use a rag to help grip the bolt face and turn it. If you have sweaty hands or grease on the buffer they can be hard to twist.

Loosen the Castle nut. DO NOT start twisting the stock assy to unscrew it vigorously!!!! There is a spring that protrudes through the lower reciever on the right side at about 2 o'clock that puts pressure on the tensioner for the rear take down pin. This spring is loose and can easily be twisted to oblivion as you unscrew the buffer tube. The plate in front of the castle nut has a tab on it that prevents it from spinning free. The tab fits in a groove in the buffer tube, so when you twist the tube, the plate will twist right along with it. The spring in question isn't under hardly any pressure and won't come shooting out or anything, but it does stick past the hole a little and it's this loose end that can get mangled from rubbing against that plate as you unscrew the tube, so as soon as there is enough room to get to the spring, pull it out.

I know this may sound complicated, but it truly is easy once you do it.
Old October 5, 2006, 12:05 AM   #8
ITEOTWAWKI

And also remember that you get what you pay for in collapsing stocks as well. There is a noticeable difference between my friend's dmps and my bushie. Don't cheap out and keep it in the family.
Old October 5, 2006, 12:14 AM   #9
FS2K

Good advice Blaine.

Did you get my PM reply?

Anyway, like ITEOTWAWKI says PDshooter, you do get what you pay for when stocks are concerned. I only mentioned the cheaper options because you mentioned wanting to get a "KIT" to retro your stock.

I like the Bushmaster M4 Stocks.
Old December 27, 2007, 10:35 PM   #10
Double Stack

TY

Last edited by Double Stack; December 28, 2007 at 12:47 AM.