The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 11, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1

Question about Bersa for experienced Gunsmith

Hello, I have Bersa Thunder .380 and really like the gun but when I recieved it the mag would not lock the slide back. I went to a range on vacation and one of their rental guns was a Bersa and I tied their mag in mine and the slide locked back very sturdy. I then called Bersa and they exchanged the mag for me. But now, after the slide is locked back and I drop the mag, sometimes the slide will go forward, but always goes forward when I insert a loaded mag. Either way, once the mag is removed, a good shake to the gun will close the slide. I have tried this on three of my other autos (two Ruger's and a CZ) and this did not happen no matter how hard I hit it. My question is what to do. Could I cut a few coils off of the recoil spring to lighten the pressure? Please help me with this problem, because I really like this piece, but I refuse to keep a gun that is not in complete working order.

Thanks in advance,

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com
Old January 11, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

couple of things

The first one you have already figured out, the mag catch was messed up and they sent you a new one. The other sounds like the slide stop isn't working right. You either have a rounded corner where the slide stop pin rides up into the slide or the slot just isn't deep enough or the tit on the pin is rounding off. I would take it back and let the folks you bought it from return it for you myself.
Old January 15, 2006, 06:30 PM   #3
fourrobert13

Bersa Problems

Sounds like your slide release spring is a little weak. It's easy to replace, but you would probably have to send it back to Bersa unless they will send you the spring.