The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 23, 2014, 07:02 AM   #1
bird_dog

September Squirrels

One thing I used to do a lot of was squirrel hunting. The last few years I kind of got out of it, but this year I took several trips to the woods, and rekindled some of that old fun.

It's good woodcraft, spotting and stalking, and putting accurate (22mag) shots on a very small, often moving target.

I have seen a few black phase squirrels over the years, and managed to get one way far back in at a public hunting area that has a beautiful ridge of white oaks.

I also managed to get a gray close to home with the crossbow, as well.

Enjoy.

Old September 23, 2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Doyle

I also used to love squirrel hunting - actually still do but don't get the chance much these days.

If someone reads my posts in The Hunt sub-forum where someone is asking for how to learn deer hunting, my universal reply is to learn by hunting squirrels. The only skill that you need for deer hunting that isn't taught cheaper and faster by squirrel hunting is scent control. All the other skills (scouting, concealment, stalking, listening, etc. ) are really the same for squirrels as they are for deer.
Old September 23, 2014, 09:26 AM   #3
bird_dog

I agree with you Doyle. Great practice for still hunting larger game, which I also like to do whenever possible.

With the good acorn crop around here this year, it's great to be out on a calm morning and listening for the rustling in the treetops and then put on a slow stalk into shooting position.

Lots of fun. I wish I enjoyed eating them more, because they sure are fun to hunt.

(Yes, I eat them, but I don't love squirrel venison as much as real venison).
Old September 23, 2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Panfisher

If I had to choose between squirrell hunting and deer hunting I would take squirrel hunting every time. The season is tremendously long, you can pick your days/weather. You don't feel like its work, if you want to just go to a beautiful patch of timber and lean against a tree and take a nap you can (have done it often), way less people in the woods, less gear needed, you can carry them in a coat/vest, and they are quite tasty whether fried, or put into a crock pot and then cooked down with some noodles, delicious. And you can take your good for nothing yard/house dog with you, simply because you enjoy his/her company. Kids love to to because they don't have to set still for long periods of time, and there are lots of other stuff to see in the squirrel woods, turkeys, rabbits, groundhogs, coyotes, deer rubs and scrapes, persimmons, coral mushrooms its an awesome "hobby". I will admit that I don't do it nearly as often as I used to, but I use it as an excuse to scout for deer as well.
Old September 23, 2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Deerhunter

That black phase squirrel is cool looking.

I haven't done a lot of squirrel hunting in years. Did a bunch when I was younger and had more time to hunt. Now if I have time to hunt I spend it chasing deer.
Old September 23, 2014, 11:17 AM   #6
bird_dog

Well said, Panfisher.
Old September 23, 2014, 02:44 PM   #7
849ACSO

Squirrel hunting is cat's meow. I have "squirrel hunted" many times with my eyes closed and ears open........it's to me what a a "calgon bath" is to my wife. Soothing and only doing as much or as little as I feel like.
Old September 23, 2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Mobuck

I could have killed 1/2 dozen squirrels while sitting on my bow stand a couple of days ago. Since I didn't get a deer any way, might as well have had a mess of squirrel.
Old September 23, 2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Model12Win

I got my small game lisence last year and if I have time this season I'll try for some squirrelios.

I want to eat them! I've got a Marlin model 60 rifle with a scope on it, ready to take to the squirrel fields. I'm not sure how to hunt squirrels or skin/cook them though. Still a learnin!
Old September 23, 2014, 11:07 PM   #10
Mossybank

I too enjoy squirrel hunting. Several years ago I made a purchase and it has become my squirrel cleaning tool. It is the Gerber Gator Axe Combo. It is a small hatchet with a small knife that stores in the handle. Great little combo, hatchet for removing the head and feet and small knife for the skinning.
Old September 23, 2014, 11:18 PM   #11
JWT

I loved hunting squirrels as a kid growing up in rural Wisconsin. Never used anything but a .22 to avoid ruining too much meat. Loved eating 'em too. Alas there are none of the critters in the desert where I now dwell. Wish there was, hunting the brings back many great memories.

When I mention hunting squirrels and eating them it generally gets an 'ugh', you ate them!? Even from my kids and grandchildren.
Old September 24, 2014, 01:53 AM   #12
redrick

I love me some squirrel hunting too . I usually don't start until after deer season , in January . I see less then , than during deer season , as the temperature gets colder .
Old September 24, 2014, 06:16 AM   #13
bird_dog

I see tons of them during deer season, but rarely hunt those places in September, so I don't spook the deer for October. I usually hunt squirrels in other places and then, if I find good deer sign, I end up deer hunting there, and I find another spot to squirrel hunt.

I've always combined deer scouting and squirrel hunting.

Every now and then, I'll go back in the winter and hunt the deer stands for squirrels, but I don't enjoy it as much as the early season walks in the woods.
Old September 24, 2014, 06:35 AM   #14
mxsailor803

I've always enjoyed squirrel hunting. Especially if you have a good squirrel call and they come pouncing in. Killed a few foxes that way too though. Ah heck, I just miss being in the woods right now!
Old September 24, 2014, 07:53 AM   #15
Panfisher

I have been known to "borrow" one of my deer stands that was apparently being over-run by squirrels, you know the mornings squirrels are on a mission to conquer the world and it sounds like a horde of zonbies in the woods. Decided OK I'll play along and show up with a .22 rifle, nada no squireels nothing. How do they know.
Old September 24, 2014, 01:50 PM   #16
Pahoo

Life is good and sometimes; SWEET !!!

I hunt squirrels every season and aside from duck, it's one animal that I can get my wife to eat. When I hunted deer with on of my .50 SideLocks, I use to prep by going out squirrel hunting. Got most of the bugs out of my process. Now I mostly hunt them with my .36. .....

In the process of talking to a lot of hunters about hunting squirrels, they enjoy hunting and eating them but find that cleaning is too much hassle. I go into the woods with a plastic bag, use the Cherokee cleaning method and bring the carcasses home in the bag. I have little or no trouble cleaning them. I also volunteer to clean them, for other folks in order to show them how. As one neighbor put it; "Sweet" .....

I have started all my Grandkids hunting Squirrels and we have so much fun that as they get older, they still remember that first hunt. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 24, 2014, 04:34 PM   #17
SVTCobra306

My squirrel hunting has evolved to include the .17HMR and some longer range... and I like it for the same reasons, it's simple, no high priced tags, no pressure, better weather, good to take the kids or dog along, and more. I can't think of a good reason not to squirrel hunt. I might go squirrel hunting right now...
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old September 24, 2014, 06:18 PM   #18
jeager106

The hunting is great but the eating is even better.
Season comes in way to early to suit me in Oh. Warm, mosquitos, ticks, deer flys, spider webs across your face, too many leaves to see them.
I hate using a s.g. to shoot squirrels, much prefer a .22 rifle with sub sonic h.p. ammo. It's quiet in the woods, you can hear the bullet thwack the critter.
I did the .17 hummer one day only. Shot 3 and blew them in half. Never again.
It's well known that squirrel broth will break a fever & cure a bad cold too.
Old September 29, 2014, 04:31 PM   #19
nickE10mm

Thanks for all of the replies to this thread. I love reading these.

Can't wait to get out into the woods, myself. I'll be using my "usua". Ruger 22/45 Target (5.5") bbl with HiViz front sight and VQ trigger group.
Old October 23, 2014, 09:48 AM   #20
Chadvoyage

Brand new to this site. First post.

Wife and I backpack the Big Sur, Calif back country a couple times each year. Can't say enough good things about my little 3 lb backpacking gun--a stainless steel Marlin "Papoose" 22 LR. Semi auto. We eat squirrels and cottontail rabbit all the way. Like that food guy on Bizarre Foods says on TV..tree squirrel IS the best tasting meat in the world!