The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 18, 2021, 10:05 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

New Walther: PDP "better trigger than PPQ"

Just came out...interesting look. Guns.com says that grip texture is unlike any out there (good) and said the trigger is better than the PPQ...

https://www.guns.com/news/2021/02/16...her-pdp-pistol
Old February 18, 2021, 10:13 AM   #2
TunnelRat

Walther has a promotional video for it on their YouTube page:

https://youtu.be/fPPxgyLs874

These are short breakouts going over the individual features, with a lead in by Larry Vickers (who seems to be a big part of their marketing campaign for this).

Intro:
https://youtu.be/oaSktDO0NJc

Red Dot Ergos:
https://youtu.be/6aiaOQSk-uA

Texture:
https://youtu.be/O5963pIlo0E

Trigger:
https://youtu.be/BjgTgAn_beQ

Serrations:
https://youtu.be/FJ80haV_ZaE

Modularity:
https://youtu.be/WyCkfdNiIvs

Optics Ready:
https://youtu.be/HtGWq9fLuHI

Stepped Chamber:
https://youtu.be/KBBIrkXeagY

Sights:
https://youtu.be/51A_QlpLlFs

I think the texture looks nice and I like that they include the optics plates with the pistol rather than making you buy them separately (something HK and CZ makes you do). I’m a bit surprised at the trigger supposedly being lighter than the PPQ in terms of break weight. In owning a few PPQs I never felt the trigger was too heavy. I would be interested to try it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 18, 2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old February 18, 2021, 10:38 AM   #3
wild cat mccane

Wow.

A German company using American gun violence...to sell guns.

That was really uncool work Walther.
Old February 18, 2021, 11:02 AM   #4
TunnelRat

Yeah it’s certainly an interesting take.

It’s your thread and I don’t want to distract from the pistol itself. It’s just easier to do one link than to do the half dozen or so links for all the short segments when I’m on my phone. I’ll try to add the segments in above.

Old February 18, 2021, 04:28 PM   #5
wild cat mccane

Perfect. Thank you.

"Aftermarket triggers aspire to be triggers of the PPQ or the PDP"

And he says this is better than the PPQ.

Maybe it is better. Have to feel it. Going larger slide/serrations isn't what I need. Perhaps the current PPQ will be sufficient...

Still thinking on how messed up their promo is. Everyone needs a gun because everyone is killing everyone in mass--Buy Walther. Geeze.
Old February 18, 2021, 04:30 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

Compact version is 4" with 15rnd mage. Full Size is a flush 18rnd mag but same 4" barrel. That's odd.

Oops. Gunbuyer flier is wrong.

It's 4", 4.5" and 5" that are totally modular.
Old February 18, 2021, 04:33 PM   #7
TunnelRat

So if you look on the website they show two full-size models, a 4” and a 4.5”. The 4” full-size seems to follow the vein of the Glock 45/19X or SIG P320 Carry/M18.

https://waltherarms.com/pdp/

Also in terms of modularity they seem to mean that the frames and the slides can be swapped. It’s not that the firing control unit or similar is removable. Not saying that the latter is essential, but I have seen people assume the former.

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 18, 2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old February 18, 2021, 06:42 PM   #8
sigarms228

Good for Walther and I believe some of the changes will make the PDP more competitive with other manufacturer offerings specially with new grip texture and optics ready but I am happy with my 9MM PPQ M1 and am skeptical that the trigger is better on the PDP. Take up is shorter and trigger is lighter on PDP but to me that does not necessarily equate to a "better" trigger. I find it interesting that discussion is Walther may be looking to sell more to agencies but not sure how many would want a pistol with a 4 LB trigger. PPQ was advertised with a 5.5 LB trigger and more than a few think the PPQ already is on the light side for a carry self defense pistol. Though I really like my PPQ, I don't carry it. My CCW choice for a double stack pistol is my Gen 2 Glock 19 and I shoot it just as well as my PPQ, it is more compact, and I personally find the Glock 19 trigger, at least on my Gen 2, more appropriate for a carry pistol and decent enough for all around use. I wonder if Walther is going to offer more springs so that the PDP trigger can be heavier for those that want such.

I read on the Walther forum where a member contacted Walther and asked if the PDP 4 inch slide would work on the 4 inch poly frame PPQ and was told that it would. Also was told slide cost would probably be around $275 though not specific if that is only the slide or slide/barrel/RSA. That could be a good option for those that want to mount an optic on their PPQ. I believe the PPQ barrel is the same as the barrel being used in the 4 inch PDP. At this point I don't have an optic on any of my pistols but am curious about such and probably would start out doing such on my Browning Buckmark with the Outerimpact mount first as it would be more economical to do so and also to shoot with ammo costs these days.

Hopefully LGS will get a PDP at their rental range as I would be interested in trying it out to see how it compare to my PPQ.

Last edited by sigarms228; February 18, 2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old February 19, 2021, 12:06 AM   #9
Sarge

My PPQ45M2's factory stock trigger had 2 1/2 pounds of take up, broke crisply at four and has next to no over travel. Super easy to shoot well but plenty light for a duty/defense gun with no external safety.
Old February 19, 2021, 10:23 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

Agreed on wanting to handle one first.

A more squared slide is a hard turn off. The more similar grip of the steel Q series is interesting but had no complaints with the light finger rests.

Walther does say the PPQ barrel is the same.

No paddle release so far. A bummer. People need to learn this system. It's perfect.
Old February 19, 2021, 10:24 AM   #11
wild cat mccane

Meh. On the wait list on gunbuyer for the Compact PDP. Gunbuyer is somehow, through means I don't know, the biggest walther retailer
Old February 19, 2021, 10:27 AM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane
A more squared slide is a hard turn off.
Agreed. The only reason I can think of is they did that for the plate system they're using for the optic.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 19, 2021, 10:34 AM   #13
TunnelRat

Looks like Impact Guns and Sportsman's Warehouse, if you have one nearby for shipping, have it in stock as of this post.

https://gun.deals/product/walther-pd...1-rounds-64999

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 19, 2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old February 19, 2021, 11:07 AM   #14
sigarms228

JustnOpinion compares and shoots the PPQ and PDP side by side including internal views. He can't tell any difference between the triggers shooting but his trigger gauge shows the PDP about 6 ounces lighter. After shooting both he could not determine a preference of one over the other. He also verified that the PDP slide assembly works on his PPQ.

https://youtu.be/NCTPUBZC79s
Old February 19, 2021, 12:12 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

Thanks for the posting. No new interests with PPQ winning so far on paper Guns.com didn't provide enough info to make their assessment it was a better trigger either.

Wider slide and removed glare channels on the PDP.

If the triggers really are so dissimilar as that reviewer said, I think that makes the PPQ the better buy.

On sights though-the reviewer above says the sights are hard to remove on the PPQ. It's different, but easy once you know how to do it. A target Glock set is going to cost just as much as a target P99/PPQ set. So I found that comment a bit off. Meh.

I guess the PDP takes on the VP9 OR outside of the Q series and cheaper.
Old February 19, 2021, 01:14 PM   #16
TunnelRat

I just got to handle one at a local store.

The texture is probably my favorite of any polymer framed pistol. I’ve heard comparisons to the M&P 2.0. IMO this is much better. It’s not nearly as sharp but still holds very well in the hand. Honestly I almost bought it on that.

The serrations are kinda meh to me. They work, but I find shallow serrations that are closer together to be a bit better.

The sights are plastic and I would replace them. They seem a little cheap and they wouldn’t clear a mounted optic. But you can get Glock sights easily (and this takes those if I read correctly).

The optics cut seems pretty deep for a factory option. If it does come with the plates that makes life easier (P10 and VP9 owners have had a hard time tracking down plates from the manufacturer).

The trigger is interesting to me. On the PPQs I owned in the past there was just the hint of a rubbing sensation before the break. Granted I never did more than say 500 rd through them so they might not have broken in. This is clean all the way through. There’s enough travel and enough of a wall that I’d feel comfortable carrying it. I would consider it an upgrade over the PPQs I owned before.

I walked away impressed and I even went in pretty skeptical. They wanted $600 before tax. For an optics ready pistol that’s pretty hard to beat. A 4” optics ready M&P is the same price and this blows that out of the water, imo.

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 19, 2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old February 19, 2021, 01:57 PM   #17
wild cat mccane

Wow. Nice info.
Old February 19, 2021, 04:08 PM   #18
Siggy-06

I wonder if the PPQ will be discontinued after the PDP gets more widely distributed?
Old February 19, 2021, 04:29 PM   #19
TunnelRat

One last note on the optics plates. It appears the pistols don’t actually come with the optics plates. You can request one free optic plate from Walther and have that mailed to you. If you want additional plates you’ll have to pay. This can be seen by going to the home page for the PDP and by reading about it here:

https://www.recoilweb.com/walther-pd...ss-165755.html

The one free plate doesn’t bother me. My concern is availability. Both CZ and HK went down the route of not including optics plates with the pistols, marketing this in part as a way to save the end user money. The problem has been that people have had a hell of a time actually getting the optics plates for the P10 and VP9. This had lead to shortages for months at a time. I understand this also saves the manufacturers from making a bunch of plates that might not be used, but you’re specifically selling an optics ready pistol. It’s reasonable to assume a number of people will want to attach optics to it. Hopefully Walther is more together in this regard.

Old February 20, 2021, 10:53 AM   #20
Archer1440

It’s interesting that so much of their promotional material features the ACRO, but that’s missing from the optics plate list.
Old February 21, 2021, 09:52 AM   #21
doofus47

The trigger is better than the PPQ? Well so is that in my P99AS....
That said, I know i'm gonna want to get my hands on it....
I love the look of that grip texture. I want to say "catches the eye," but besides making bad puns, I mean it really does look like it will hold securely.
Walther just makes good gun after good gun.
Old February 23, 2021, 05:03 AM   #22
Cosmodragoon

Interesting ad. I don't know why it would be offensive. Why else do we go to all the trouble of responsibly carrying a firearm? I'm not interested in being a hero. I just like being alive. I'd like to stay that way. I'd like the same for my loved ones. Evil exists and standing a chance against it is part of everyday preparedness.

That said, I'm still happy with the P99. DA/SA and a good holster are my "safety". While I miss the feedback of a hammer upon holstering, the P99 remains one of my favorite handguns. After all these years, it still has one of the best stock triggers in both double and single action.
Old February 23, 2021, 10:10 AM   #23
TunnelRat

As a last note, if you pick up one of these and see spare PPQ M2 magazines, grab them. I can’t seem to find any of the PPQ M2 magazines in stock anywhere. I’m not sure if this was true before the release of the PDP or not.

Old February 23, 2021, 10:25 AM   #24
wild cat mccane

I can't get my head wrapped around why I want a boxer slide and wider slide with serrations I haven't had a problem with before.

I'll buy anything Walther, but still not sure new/shiny does it for me over the PPQ...
Old February 23, 2021, 07:40 PM   #25
sevt_chevelle

It's same reason CZ made the shadow 2 optics ready model with a wider rear section of slide.......so they can mount optics.