The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Your go-to gun parts/accessories website?
Cheaper Than Dirt 0 0%
Midway USA 29 49.15%
Brownells 8 13.56%
Natchez 3 5.08%
Optics Planet 0 0%
Sportsmans Guide 3 5.08%
Other (Please specify in comments) 16 27.12%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 10, 2018, 03:39 PM   #1
TrueBlue711

What's your go-to shooting supplies website?

While I still support my local gun store(s) when I can, I do the majority of my gun parts, accessories and other shooting supplies shopping online these days. Just curious to see what everybody's "go-to" site is with all of the choices. Heck, I may learn of some sites I'm not aware of!

I would say my go-to is Brownells now. I still shop around at most of them, but Brownells usually has what I'm looking for at one stop and shipping isn't bad. I used to like Midwayusa a lot, but their shipping prices went up and take longer these days. For me at least.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; January 10, 2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old January 10, 2018, 04:36 PM   #2
KyJim

Mostly Midway, sometimes Brownell's.
Old January 10, 2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Don Fischer

Powder and primer's I get local. HUH, local equals 70mi one way! Get some bullet's, lead molds and cast supply's fro Midway.
Old January 10, 2018, 05:15 PM   #4
Dufus

Midsouth Shooters Supply

If I happen to need powder that is not locally available, I go to Powder Valley, Inc.
Old January 10, 2018, 07:22 PM   #5
lamarw

Powder Valley
Everglades
Amazon Prime
Old January 10, 2018, 07:32 PM   #6
LeverGunFan

I buy all my powder and primers locally, but most of the rest is bought from Brownells, Grafs or Midsouth. I use these three suppliers the most since they are relatively close to me, so that shipping times are fairly quick.
Old January 10, 2018, 07:58 PM   #7
5whiskey

Its hard to pick between midway and Brownells. I have used sportsman's guide before but they're a little bit cheesy. And I will personally light a $20 bill on fire before giving it to CTD.
Old January 10, 2018, 08:18 PM   #8
RaySendero

Graf's and sons
Old January 10, 2018, 08:43 PM   #9
reynolds357

Historically it has been Midway. Here lately, Cabellas and Amazon are cheaper on what I have been wanting. Amazon is coming on strong.
Old January 10, 2018, 09:01 PM   #10
old roper

I like it here

https://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/
NRA Life Member
Old January 10, 2018, 09:37 PM   #11
buck460XVR

I'm confused. The title of the thread says "What's your go to shooting supplies website?" and the poll reads "Your go-to gun parts/accessories website?. My answer is different depending on which you ask.

Just sayin'.
Old January 10, 2018, 10:26 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I guess I can't vote. I buy from all of the choices on the list (except Cheaper Than Dirt). I can't say any one of them is my "go to" source. I prefer Brownells for gun parts and gunsmithing tools, but I'll buy from Midway in the unlikely event Brownells doesn't have what I need. I generally buy reloading equipment from Natchez, and factory loaded ammunition from The Sportsmans Guide. I try to buy reloading components from my local range shop, when possible.

I don't think any one of the choices can be a proper "go to" source for everything.
Old January 10, 2018, 10:29 PM   #13
Charlie98

I've been shopping at Midway for almost 30 years... I remember calling in on the phone and giving the 6-digit item numbers to the nice lady over the phone.

I like Midway still, but I shop around a bit. Like one poster mentioned, Amazon is really coming on... I was looking on it the other day and Midway's stuff showed up!

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 10, 2018, 11:51 PM   #14
joed

I'm not fond of Midway with prices but they have the best website. I can usually find what I want in less then 5 min.
Old January 11, 2018, 12:17 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed
I'm not fond of Midway with prices but they have the best website. I can usually find what I want in less then 5 min.
Interesting.

I have found exactly the opposite. I consider Midway's web site to be virtually unnavigable.
Old January 11, 2018, 12:30 AM   #16
Cirdan

Had an absolutely awful experience with Optics Planet. Said it was in stock when I ordered, and paid. Weeks later it turned out it wasn't in stock, but back ordered and unlikely to be shipped in a reasonable time frame.

I guess the low price was just a come on.

An any rate, I will NEVER do business with those liars again.
Old January 11, 2018, 01:48 AM   #17
shootniron

About the only thing that I regularly buy now is powder and primers. I get that from Powder Valley.

I do still buy bullet molds and casting/reloading items occasionally and I look for those things in the classifieds on several different forums or craigslist. Matter of fact, I just mailed payment this morning for a new set of Lyman mold handles that I found listed about 4 states away from me. If I cannot find it there, I normally go the manufacturer.

If I need a scope, I will buy a used Leupold or Nikon off craigslist and get the seller to ship it to me.
Old January 11, 2018, 08:35 AM   #18
muzzleblast...

I have used all of the major mail order houses, and really don't have a particular preference. The voting list is missing Graf's, Midsouth, Natchez, Brownell's and several others...
Old January 11, 2018, 04:21 PM   #19
TrueBlue711

Quote:
I'm confused. The title of the thread says "What's your go to shooting supplies website?" and the poll reads "Your go-to gun parts/accessories website?. My answer is different depending on which you ask.
I started out the forum as "gun parts/accessories". Then got to thinking that some sites don't even offer gun parts, so kinda rules them out of the poll. Kinda like you mentioned, it would change the answer. So I generalized it to "shooting supplies". I was able to edit the title of the post, but not sure how to edit the title of the poll itself. Sorry for confusion.
Old January 11, 2018, 04:25 PM   #20
TrueBlue711

Quote:
The voting list is missing Graf's, Midsouth, Natchez, Brownell's and several others...
Natchez and Brownells is in the list, but never heard of Graf's or Midsouth. This was another reason for the poll; to learn about sites I've never heard of that may be better than what I'm used to shopping at.
Old January 11, 2018, 04:32 PM   #21
zipspyder

Local for smokeless powder and primers. Graf's for Black Powder. Wherever's cheapest for everything else.
Old January 11, 2018, 08:43 PM   #22
Tom-R2

It depends on who has the lowest price for what I want. eBay, Midway, Brownell's, Optics Planet, Bayou Bullets, Missouri Bullets, . . . . . . and on and on and on. If I'm spending more than just a few $$ I will spend a little time searching.
Old January 11, 2018, 10:03 PM   #23
5whiskey

I will second Graf's is a go-to for me for anything reloading related. I also check their loaded ammo, if I ever buy it (can't remember when other than to qualify with an off-duty gun and reloads weren't allowed; and that was just a 100 round Walmart trip). They aren't always cheapest, but they usually are priced at least "okay" and they have more reloading components than anyone.

Midway and Brownells still are my main stores for firearms related parts and gear, excluding reloading. And I would still light money on fire before giving it to CTD.
Old January 11, 2018, 10:41 PM   #24
GLK

Primary Arms SGAmmo PSA Botach & LaRue are regulars of mine, I used to use Midway USA but their not competitive price wise any more IMO. I'll use Brownells for the occasional great deal like their recent deal on Colt complete lowers, but other than that Brownells is also too high IMO. Widners was great until the owner sold to the present owners, again now too damn high..
Old January 12, 2018, 08:16 PM   #25
2wheelwander

Nice thread, new to reloading and hadn't found powder valley yet.