The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 4, 2016, 12:32 PM   #1
Dymond

How to downgrade equipment from USPSA to IDPA?

I've been competing in USPSA for the last year and enjoy it. I go production with my S.A. XDM 5.25 model. I have my double belt, 5 magazines/pouches with tekloks and dropset holder w/teklok.

I know i need to ditch double belts because they are not legal and just use a stiff leather belt. what do I need to get to legally compete in IDPA?
Old December 4, 2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Well, it doesn't have to be a LEATHER single belt. I think the Wilderness Instructor's Belt and copies are most common in IDPA.

Holster must put the backstrap at or above the level of the top edge of the belt and the gun within 3/4" of the body.
Old December 5, 2016, 03:00 AM   #3
GJSchulze

I use my XDm 5.25 9mm in both. Originally Springfields were classified as ESP, but that has been changed to SSP. You may only load 10 rounds in the 19 round magazine. You may only carry two mags on your belt plus one in the gun. Both gun and magazine must be behind the point of your hip.

I did a trigger job and replaced springs, striker, guide rod and other parts to reduce the trigger to 2.5 lbs. The guide rod is solid steel to add two oz. As long as the any external part change is made by Springfield, it's legal.

I suggest you check the rules posted on the IDPA website.
Old December 6, 2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Don P

Quote:
5 magazines/pouches with tekloks and dropset holder w/teklok.
Take one mag pouch off and that's all you need and are allowed for IDPA. Take the holster off and take the drop offset off and just use the tek-lock and you are good to go. No added cost for equipment and a easy swap over
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 6, 2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Jim Watson

While I have not seen anybody called on it, a Teklok attachment sets the holster way out from the body. I can use one because my love handles are still within 3/4" of the gun. But a skinny guy would be out of spec.
Old December 6, 2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Don P

Quote:
a Teklok attachment sets the holster way out from the body
I'll have to disagree with this. The tec-lok replaces the belt loop attachment and does not push the holster away from the belt. Measuring the tel-lok attachment when on the holster and closed as if its on a belt from attachment point to the inside edge of the lock is 5/8 th's of an inch. Without love handles its with in the 3/4 inch per IDPA
Old December 6, 2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I only have one Teklok holster and it definitely has more setout than my integral belt loop Kydex. You are probably right when comparing with the screw on belt loops like CompTac.
Old December 7, 2016, 07:03 AM   #8
Don P

Hey Jim, just to be fair I measured the thickness of the tek-loc. The back side that attaches to the holster measures .182= 3/16 ths is a measurement of .187